• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

No need to reset TPMS

As promised- Got my tires swapped out today, and no need to reset TPMS. BTW- it's about 5 degrees outside, roads are snowy and very icy, and the car drives like a champ. (though I did manage to lose a little traction in sprint mode- just for the sake of research)
Would you please share who did the tire swapping (Les Schwab, Pep Boys, Firestone, America's tires...) and the car would auto-reset the TPMS?

Would you please share who did the tire swapping (Les Schwab, Pep Boys, Firestone, America's tires...) and the car would auto-reset the TPMS?
Sure- Discount Tire. And as I understand it, if you're sticking with the same tire size, there's no need to reset the TPMS.

I have had my tires changed out twice and have had no problem. My Lucy came with summer tires. I purchased all season tires. Summer off in the fall, all season on. All season off in the spring, summer tires on. Late fall when the weather changes the all seasons will go back on. My tire guys are careful to remove the wheel and put the wheel back on in the same place and have the tires marked with chalk so they go back in the correct place. Also make sure the correct pressure is achieved. No problem with the TPMS.

Here I thought I found the holy Grail, but alas, this is not the solution I hoped for swapping between sizes.

I switched my 19" AS to 19" snow tires with new wheels/TPMS sensors and the TPMS system needed to be re-set by the service center to clear the warning light.
Do they rotate and change those for you for free every time or do they charge you for it

I just did on my own 4 wheel rotations (Back Right Wheel moves up to Front Right, Front Right crossed backward to Back Left, Back Left move up to Front Left, and Front Left crossed backward to Back Right):

1695857667919.png

Once done, I just needed to drive above 20 MPH and all the TPMS numbers show up without problems.

So nice!!!!!!!!!!!

I just did on my own 4 wheel rotations (Back Right Wheel moves up to Front Right, Front Right crossed backward to Back Left, Back Left move up to Front Left, and Front Left crossed backward to Back Right):

View attachment 15136

Once done, I just needed to drive above 20 MPH and all the TPMS numbers show up without problems.

So nice!!!!!!!!!!!
I seem to remember the manual saying something about NOT rotating these tires. Am I misremembering that? Maybe the 19s can be criss crossed?

I seem to remember the manual saying something about NOT rotating these tires. Am I misremembering that? Maybe the 19s can be criss crossed?
Thanks for the warning. I've been doing crisscrossing for decades on my own with various brands of cars (gasoline and EVs).

Here's the manual's warning on pages 176 and 177:

"WARNING: Your vehicle may be fitted with different size tires on the front and rear wheels. The front and rear wheels may also have different offsets. Do not move wheels between the front and rear axles as this will severely affect vehicle handling.
Lucid does not recommend moving the wheels between the front and rear axles, or from side to side on the same axle pair."

I interpret that as if the front pair differs from the back pair, don't move them to different axles.

But my 19" tires are identical. So, I interpret that this prohibition does not apply in my case (with no crooked sizes, no different sizes).

Thanks for the warning. I've been doing crisscrossing for decades on my own with various brands of cars (gasoline and EVs).

Here's the manual's warning on pages 176 and 177:

"WARNING: Your vehicle may be fitted with different size tires on the front and rear wheels. The front and rear wheels may also have different offsets. Do not move wheels between the front and rear axles as this will severely affect vehicle handling.
Lucid does not recommend moving the wheels between the front and rear axles, or from side to side on the same axle pair."

I interpret that as if the front pair differs from the back pair, don't move them to different axles.

But my 19" tires are identical. So, I interpret that this prohibition does not apply in my case (with no crooked sizes, no different sizes).
What‘s the torque for the wheel lugs?
Are the lugs 21 mm?
Thanks.

What‘s the torque for the wheel lugs?
On page 188:

"Lug nut torque 150 Nm"

I looked up Newton Meters on the internet. That's 110.6343 ft-lb, and I rounded it up to 111 ft-lb.

Are the lugs 21 mm?
On the same page:
"Lug nut socket size 21mm"

That's the same size that I've been using with other brands, and that size works for my Lucid too.

Any time!

You are welcome.

DIY Advice:
Does anyone swap out their own seasonal wheels/tires? If so, what car jack/puck would you recommend? Amazon has several options…

DIY Advice:
Does anyone swap out their own seasonal wheels/tires? If so, what car jack/puck would you recommend? Amazon has several options…
Don't cheap-out on a floor jack
PXL_20230414_182853158.jpg
Sears

...and get a torque wrench...

Are you speaking from experience with the Lucid summer tires in winter weather or general past experience?
Prior experience with Michelin and Perilli summer performance tires. I am a life-long seasonal tire swapper.
No experience with Lucid. Ordered AS 19" factory Perillis but had traction issues so bought a set of 21" factory wheels / tires.
Lucid traction control works just fine but still, there is so much torque instantly available I have been able to break the tires free almost at will...so...the twice seasonal change is worth my time.

Yes of course one can drive summer performance tires on cold pavement. Those slow ... painfully slow ... skids into the curb ...

... nah.

ps I have been driving on the factory 21" Pirelli summer tires since April. Love them. The TMPS warning light has been on the entire time. I check tire pressures manually about weekly. Due to swap back to factory A/S 19" as soon as nightime temps. get freezy....probably November.

Prior experience with Michelin and Perilli summer performance tires. I am a life-long seasonal tire swapper.
No experience with Lucid. Ordered AS 19" factory Perillis but had traction issues so bought a set of 21" factory wheels / tires.
Lucid traction control works just fine but still, there is so much torque instantly available I have been able to break the tires free almost at will...so...the twice seasonal change is worth my time.

Yes of course one can drive summer performance tires on cold pavement. Those slow ... painfully slow ... skids into the curb ...

... nah.

ps I have been driving on the factory 21" Pirelli summer tires since April. Love them. The TMPS warning light has been on the entire time. I check tire pressures manually about weekly. Due to swap back to factory A/S 19" as soon as nightime temps. get freezy....probably November.
Do you have a brand of jack (and lift puck size) you’d recommend? I already have the torque wrench.

Does anyone know if you change from summer tires on 20" wheels to winter tires on 20" wheels if the TPMS needs to be reset? I was informed by my DA that it does NOT need to be if the wheel size are the same. I am also not confident on what my DA informs me as she is also telling me I can drive home with the summer tires without a problem here in Chicago during the winter. My understanding is the summer tires becomes hard under 40 degrees.
If you do your latest software upgrade (Feb), you do not need to reprogram your sensors when switching tires regardless of the tire size change. You need to select the tire size in settings and sensors get activated on their own

Do you have a brand of jack (and lift puck size) you’d recommend? I already have the torque wrench.
Sorry just now saw this question.
I use a proper floor jack that is low profile in case I decide I need to change the wheels on a Lambo. (s)
Craftsman 2-ton floor jack
breaker bar
star wheel lug wrench with paint/tape on the size I need (when you get good you can spin the nuts all the way off with one hit).
torque wrench (please use star pattern)
and most important: some kind of wheel chock I use 4x4 wood blocks.

oh, when you have the right rear off, check access to the 12v batteries !

check torque the blolts/lugs after driving ~ 50 mi. or so. ( might want to wire brush those hubs, pete )
PXL_20230414_182853158 - Copy.jpg
PXL_20240209_180619054.jpg

Last edited:
Back