New to EVs and One-Pedal Driving?

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
An excellent introductory article on one-pedal driving your EV: why, what, how.

An excellent introductory article on one-pedal driving your EV: why, what, how.
Six different regen settings for the Ioniq 5 are perhaps a bit much for me, but I surely could use more than Lucid’s 2 settings.
The Porsche approach sounds interesting. Wonder how people like it In real life.

Six different regen settings for the Ioniq 5 are perhaps a bit much for me, but I surely could use more than Lucid’s 2 settings.
The Porsche approach sounds interesting. Wonder how people like it In real life.
Lucid actually has three:
Lowest - Low regen in Swift of Sprint mode
Medium - Low regen in Smooth mode
Highest - High regen in all modes

Lucid actually has three:
Lowest - Low regen in Swift of Sprint mode
Medium - Low regen in Smooth mode
Highest - High regen in all modes
Put this in a different way:
Swift and Sprint: lowest and highest.
Smooth: medium and highest.
I could see myself wanting one more regen setting for each mode.

Within a few hours of getting our first Tesla in 2015, I set regen to high and have kept it there in every EV I've had since. Keeping regen set to max makes it easier to do one-pedal driving (which I love), as you can use the accelerator pedal to modulate acceleration and braking across the widest range of speeds. I would be happy if cars, through a combination of regen and brake-by-wire friction braking, could eliminate the brake pedal altogether.

I agree with HMP10. If you keep regen in High it facilities good one pedal driving practices. It very quickly becomes second nature. Too much adjusting the regen setting is a bit dangerous if you are committed to one pedal driving.

One pedal driving makes sense for energy efficiency and to virtually eliminate brake wear and maintenance.

Once you have done a couple of drives with regen on, particularly on the high setting, you'll quickly settle into that comfortably. Unfortunately, when you next have to drive a vehicle without regen and have to press on the brake instead of just slowly taking your foot off the accelerator, you'll feel uncomfortable with having to use the brake! It is an "oh, yeah, not my EV" moment.

I agree with HMP10. If you keep regen in High it facilities good one pedal driving practices. It very quickly becomes second nature. Too much adjusting the regen setting is a bit dangerous if you are committed to one pedal driving.

One pedal driving makes sense for energy efficiency and to virtually eliminate brake wear and maintenance.
Do you notice any better range when driving with high regen? I can one pedal drive with normal regen.

Back