New Member Intro. Early Delivery Offered?

Excited to become a Lucid Motors owner in Dallas, TX! I was an early Model S VIN 5000s owner but Tesla's customer service is so trash now so I'm jumping ship!!

Question: I put in my order for the Grand Touring last week and the sales rep said it would take 2 to 5 months but then the delivery person called today and said they had a Grand Touring in inventory that matches my exact specs and I could get the car in 2 to 5 weeks. Should I accept the inventory model? What are the downsides to accepting the inventory model?
No downside at all

One other benefit - you'll be guaranteed to get the tax credit. If you don't take delivery until next year, you won't qualify at all.
I agree that if you're able to take delivery in 2022 you should be able to get the tax credit. Did you find verified documentation requiring delivery in 2022? When Lucid emailed me (a future AT owner) in August, they were implying if we converted our reservation to an order prior to the approval of the Inflation Reduction Act (mid August) then we still (might) qualify for the tax credit even if we weren't able to take delivery in 2022 because we would be under contract prior to the deadline...

Here's the entire verbiage on the tax credit and how it works. Basically if you placed your order (paid your deposit) before 08/16 you can choose if you want the old or new rule applied. After that you're stuck with the new rulings.

Clean vehicle credits

The act modified the $7,500 Sec. 30D credit for electric vehicles in several ways. First, it changes the name of the credit to the clean vehicle credit. It also imposes a requirement that the final assembly of the vehicle must occur in North America (effective Aug. 16, 2022). The act also removes the limitation on the number of vehicles eligible for the credit, so electric vehicles purchased from manufacturers that had formerly reached their cap will now be eligible for the credit. However, there are price caps, so the credit is not allowed for cars with a manufacturer's suggested retail price over $55,000 or for vans, SUVs, or pickup trucks with a manufacturer's suggested retail price over $80,000.

However, the act imposes a new requirement that a percentage of critical minerals used in the car must have been extracted or processed in the United States or in a country with which the United States has a free trade agreement or recycled in North America. This requirement phases in and applies to 40% of such minerals before 2024 and to 80% after 2026. A percentage of the battery components for the vehicle must also be manufactured or assembled in North America. This requirement applies to 50% of a battery's components before 2024 and phases in until it applies to 100% of a battery's components after 2028.

The credit is allowed once per vehicle (and includes a requirement that the taxpayer include the vehicle identification number on the return). Also, the credit is not allowed for taxpayers whose modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) exceeds certain thresholds ($300,000 on joint returns, $225,000 for heads of household, and $150,000 for single taxpayers).

The changes to Sec. 30D are generally effective for vehicles placed in service after Dec. 31, 2022 (the final assembly requirement, as noted, was effective when the law was enacted). The credit will expire after 2032. Taxpayers who purchased a clean vehicle or entered into a written binding contract to purchase a clean vehicle between Jan. 1 and Aug. 15, 2022, but placed it in service on or after Aug. 16, can elect to have the former Sec. 30D credit rules apply to that vehicle.

The act also creates a new credit for used clean vehicles (new Sec. 25E). Qualified buyers can claim a credit of up to $4,000. Their MAGI must be under $150,000 on joint returns, $112,500 for heads of household, and $75,000 for single taxpayers. The sales price for the used vehicle must be $25,000 or less. The used clean vehicle credit applies to vehicles acquired after Dec. 31, 2022.

The act also creates a new credit for qualified commercial clean vehicles (new Sec. 45W). The credit equals the lesser of 15% of the basis of the vehicle or the "incremental cost" of the vehicle. For commercial clean vehicles with no gasoline or diesel engine, the credit amount is the lesser of 30% of the basis of the vehicle or the "incremental cost." The incremental cost is the amount the cost of the commercial clean vehicle exceeds the cost of a comparable gasoline or diesel-powered vehicle. The credit cannot exceed $7,500 for vehicles with a gross vehicle weight under 14,000 lbs. and cannot exceed $40,000 for all other vehicles. The commercial clean vehicle credit is effective for vehicles acquired after Dec. 31, 2022.

The Sec. 30C alternative fuel vehicle refueling property credit is extended through 2032 and modified. The maximum credit is increased from $30,000 to $100,000. The changes are effective for property placed in service after Dec. 31, 2022.

I agree that if you're able to take delivery in 2022 you should be able to get the tax credit. Did you find verified documentation requiring delivery in 2022? When Lucid emailed me (a future AT owner) in August, they were implying if we converted our reservation to an order prior to the approval of the Inflation Reduction Act (mid August) then we still (might) qualify for the tax credit even if we weren't able to take delivery in 2022 because we would be under contract prior to the deadline...
The answer is that no one knows for sure because the IRS hasn't seemed to make a final decision. Given this, taking delivery this year is the safest choice.

Excited to become a Lucid Motors owner in Dallas, TX! I was an early Model S VIN 5000s owner but Tesla's customer service is so trash now so I'm jumping ship!!

Question: I put in my order for the Grand Touring last week and the sales rep said it would take 2 to 5 months but then the delivery person called today and said they had a Grand Touring in inventory that matches my exact specs and I could get the car in 2 to 5 weeks. Should I accept the inventory model? What are the downsides to accepting the inventory model?
If you haven't already and as long as you are happy with the specs, take the car. Its a lot of fun.

Back