New Lucid

andrew61

Verified Owner
Cars
BMW M4, Audi S4, Alfa 73
Hi All:
I'm close to buying a Lucid. Hope for some input from more experienced folks!

I'm considering a Touring or Grand Touring. I'm expecting to get about 320 actual miles (city and freeway, average temp, no mt passes) on the Touring and 430 on the Grand Touring. Does jib with with you all are getting?

The only other car I'm considering is the Taycan 4s, which I love. But in the Taycan, I feel like I'm sitting to close to the ground, plus there's the range, plus, the Lucid drove darn close to the Taycan and is way more fun and practical. Has anyone here moved from a Taycan (or has both)? Or if already discussed, just point me to the thread and I'll review!

Also, is the '24 Grand Touring worth waiting for??

Hi All:

I'm considering a Touring or Grand Touring. I'm expecting to get about 320 actual miles (city and freeway, average temp, no mt passes) on the Touring and 430 on the Grand Touring. Does jib with with you all are getting?

The only other car I'm considering is the Taycan 4s, which I love. But in the Taycan, I feel like I'm sitting to close to the ground, plus there's the range, plus, the Lucid drove darn close to the Taycan and is way more fun and practical. Has anyone here moved from a Taycan (or has both)? Or if already discussed, just point me to the thread and I'll review!

I have a Touring, and with normal temps I can definitely comfortably get 320 miles. So long as I cruise along under 75 mph.

If it were me, I’d probably want to wait for the 2024 models at this point. But that depends on the configuration you want. I’d price one out with the specific features and compare to the current deals.

The only physical difference with the 2024s, as far as I know, is the redesigned lower frunk and trunk covers, which are definitely improved. There have been numerous revisions of parts, however, over the past two years, including rear deck lid, steering wheel, etc. Subtle differences, but all improvements. You might get them to replace a creaking steering wheel on a 2022 or 2023, but the 2024 will most likely already have the latest. Save you a trip to service.

Taycan 4S with the aero wheels will do 270+ miles. An Air Touring at BEST will do 320 unless you're really easy on it. Probably closer to 300, so the range is not that different.

A Touring is as a a Taycan Turbo comparatively so if you're after straight line performance and interior space and good dynamics, the Lucid wins hands down. If you want the absolute best dynamics and are willing to sacrifice on interior room, Taycan wins imo. You can also do Cross Turismo if you want the bigger trunk.

For my use case, the tiny interior of the Taycan was a non-starter so I ended up with a lucid. After my 18 month lease, if I don't need such a big car, i might go with a Taycan myself (but used because holy shieeeet on the depreciation haha)

As they always say, your mileage may vary. Much depends upon how low you want to run your batteries. I won't go below 20 percent.
With above 55 degree temperatures and light wind at 73 mph, my Touring drives about 285 miles per charge. Sure, if I drive the two-lanes at 60 I'd probably get closer to 320 miles. I've been driving a Grand Touring loaner this week and am very envious of the extra 100 miles it gets over my Touring. I bought the Lucid to go the 300 mile round-trip between Champaign-Chicago, IL without charging, but that has not been the case, unless I want to run the battery down to ten percent or below. Again, much depends on wind direction and speed and if you have passengers or weighty cargo.

The 2024 models look like they will be more customizable; it may be worth waiting . I probably would.

I have a 22 GT and love it. Getting over 400 miles of range is achievable in warmer weather but is extremely difficult in colder temperatures, at least in my experience.

You will be very happy with the car, regardless of the model you choose. Just a fun, wonderful machine.

I had a 2020 Taycan Turbo S before moving to our Touring.

Overall the Taycan was fine and I was pretty happy except for the purchase price. If does have a little bit sharper handling, and a sportier look. Otherwise the Lucid is better in almost every aspect.

Spec for spec, the Lucid comes in about 40% less than a comparable Taycan. The Taycan has tiny back seats with a useless middle seat. The front trunk is smaller, and the UI is worse. They feel very similar in terms of build quality, paint, materials, and street driving.

I've been a long time Porsche customer and fan, but I've been blown away by our Touring. I can't believe more people aren't buying the Lucid over the Taycan. I know the Porsche name commands a huge premium (deservedly so), but as a product, the Lucid is the better buy.

If you are serious about a Taycan, I would wait for the upcoming refresh which will be more competitive in terms of performance. The biggest draw to a Taycan is the ability to order a very customized vehicle.

Last edited:
I bought a new 2022 Air GT after spending a lot of seat time in different Taycans. A lot of people comment that the handling is close between the Air and Taycan. I would disagree. I find the Taycan, at least with all of the options, to be just the most intuitive car I’ve driven. Very close to my NA1 NSX in terms of balancing handling and comfort. Amazing for such a heavy car.

The Air is much more comfort oriented (on 20 inch summer tires) compared with the taycan. For me, the 18 way seats in the Taycan are far more comfortable than the seats in the Air GT. I found the Air touring seats to be completely unusable. Without the side bolster adjustment, I could not find a comfortable position in the touring seats. My shoulder blades align with the seam in the air seats and it drove me crazy. I am now used to it and it doesn’t bother me, but the Taycan seats just work in comparison.

Why didn’t I get the Taycan? Storage, range, comfort. If you don’t get the cross turismo, there almost isn’t enough space to go grocery shopping. Picking up the in-laws at the airport wouldn’t work if they bring luggage. And if you want to go on a road trip after work on a weekend, you will need to make sure you are fully charged before leaving.

With 3k miles on the Air GT, I have never once thought about range. I can get in the car, set the heat/AC to whatever I want, and drive as far as I care to at any speed - almost independent of the starting state of charge. You can treat the Air like a gas car in many situations. The few times I’ve needed it, free charging with Electrify America has worked well for me (though others have had bad experiences).

The storage in the Air (and overall packing efficiency is honestly amazing. There is more storage space than in a large Cadillac sedan - about 50% more than my friends DTS. Interior room in the Air is excellent . You can fit 5 large guys comfortably in the car, though I still wouldn’t want to be middle seat back.

And comfort - on the 20 inch summer tires, I would put the road noise and ride comfort above the EQS and below W223 S-class. It is seriously excellent, nearly a perfect road trip car. Especially with much better drive assist than the Taycan (as of 2.1.42). I just put 19 inch wheels and snow tires on the car - the Lucid setup with Pirelli Sottozero 3. I am amazed how much difference this makes. The car is significantly more quiet and comfortable than before. I honestly cannot believe how isolating it is now. With the snow tires (not known for being quiet), I would describe the road noise as better than my time in the s-class, with comfort almost as good. The Air is an outrageously comfortable car. More so when considering its wide dynamic range.

Hi All:

Hi - Ours is a 2023 Touring with 20” wheels. We have no issue getting 340 miles of total range - that’s the full range, not the range minus some safety factor. We live on CA coast as so mild climate but very sunny.
Hi All:

Hi All:

I bought a new 2022 Air GT after spending a lot of seat time in different Taycans. A lot of people comment that the handling is close between the Air and Taycan. I would disagree. I find the Taycan, at least with all of the options, to be just the most intuitive car I’ve driven. Very close to my NA1 NSX in terms of balancing handling and comfort. Amazing for such a heavy car.

A lot of the increased handling from the Taycan comes from wider tires. Otherwise on the street under normal driving, there is no real difference. Even spirited driving on the back roads is barely different between the two. The track may be a different story.

I don't understand the comparison with your NSX. The Taycan (and Lucid for that matter) manages its weight remarkably well, and has a very low center of gravity. But it's not even close compared to recent 991.1 and 991.2 Porsche 911s I've owned. They are big heavy cars. There is only so much magic they can do. Push the Taycan or Lucid in a corner or under braking and its weight becomes really obvious. Steering is good, but nothing like the precise front end of a 911.

Neither are sports cars. They are heavy sports sedans.

Hi - Ours is a 2023 Touring with 20” wheels. We have no issue getting 340 miles of total range - that’s the full range, not the range minus some safety factor. We live on CA coast - so mild climate but very sunny and some A/C use. Have had, and loved 6 Porsches, mostly 911’s. You will love driving the Lucid. It drives great and is way faster than my 2018 911. I drove a GT and a Touring - seemed no reason to pay more for the GT - unless you care that the GT is a bit faster from 60-100. The higher range of the GT comes with a significant penalty in terms of foot room in the rear seat. The 21” wheels have a noticeably harder ride - I like the range and ride of the 20” wheels better. Have no thoughts on 2023 vs 2024. Seems to me that most real benefits over time come from the software updates. Would not consider the Taycan due to substantially inferior packaging/interior space. Good luck with your decision and enjoy whatever you choose.

Hi All:

I have an Air GT with 28,000 miles on it. Great car. More roomy than the Porsche Taycan. Far better range and efficiency. I also have had many gasoline Porsche and love the brand. Have a Porsche Boxster S in my garage. But the EV Taycan is not nearly as good as a Lucid.

Can't go wrong with either car. I also cross shopped the Taycan and part of me still wants a Taycan. I'm sure if I got the Taycan part of me would want a Lucid. For me, Taycan wins I'm terms of handling (not really by much, day to day is a tie), exterior looks, wireless AA (ahem), prestige. Lucid wins in terms of space, range, uniqueness, price (comparatively). It was a tie for me essentially, except lots more high voltage battery failures reported in Taycan forums than Lucid, but that could just be because there're more Taycans on the road in general - but that was enough to sway me towards Lucid.

Hi All:

Let me simplify, Taycan does not have OTA updates, you need to drop it at the dealership for a day or sometimes even a few days. That is why they Porsche is not inclined to do any sotware updates unless really necessary. Add to that the expense, less space less range- thats why I bought the Lucid. Drives 90% like the Porsche with none of the other negatoves that the Taycan has.

Back