My Test Drive

julianevjourney

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
I’m not the most public person so I wasn’t going to write anything but reading the test drive review of @rbbarry made me decide to say a little something.

I have a reservation for a Touring. Like @rbbarry, I had never been behind the wheel of an EV and had only ever been a passenger in an EV once (Tesla Model 3). I had decided several years ago that my next vehicle would be an EV, a Model S specifically, but I was enjoying the no car payment life. One night on a date night with my wife when we were coming out of a restaurant this beautiful car drive by us and I saw the words LUCID on the back. I went home and started researching the car and the company. I made multiple trips to a studio and talked with an SA for hours over the course of several conversations. A month later, in April 2022, after doing as much research as I could, I became an investor and reserved the Touring.

When I made my reservation, my SA offered to get me scheduled for a test drive of a GT but I turned him down because I didn’t want to drive a GT and then be disappointed when I drove a Touring. However, like many of you I’ve watched every video made, read every review, and I’ve been on this forum reading all the content, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Eventually, I finally caved in and requested a test drive. I went on the test drive last week. I feel like I could have written rbbarry’s review verbatim. The only luxury car I’ve ever had is a Mercedes Benz E350 and this was a much better drive. I’ve continually said to my wife I don’t really care about the performance, I’m more concerned about a smooth luxury ride. I see myself as someone who will have it in Smooth mode the majority of time. Smooth mode didn't disappoint. I came away still feeling like that is the mode I will use most of the time. However, when I pressed down the accelerator it was so exhilarating to feel how easily it went from 35 to 75. It was great in Smooth mode but awesome in Swift mode and exhilarating in Sprint mode. I just kept doing it and doing it 😂 I guess I was more impacted by the performance then I thought I would be. I can’t talk about handling, and driving dynamics like others because cars aren’t my specialty. I just know it drove so smooth and yet had great performance. I was really nervous about one pedal driving. At first I was really herky jerky but I started to get it and by the end with it in high regen mode I was pretty good at using one pedal to come to a stop. Honestly, for the whole ride It felt like I was one with the road.

I live in the LA area not far from a studio and it’s in a mall that I frequent in Beverly Hills, CA. So, I pop my head in there from time to time. However, when I drove the car it was really the first tIme I’ve actually used the software. I know I’m getting the first model from a new company so I’m not phased at all by the software challenges. In fact it excites me. With that being said, I was actually surprised in a good way, maybe because my expectations were so low. It was running 1.2.6 and it was pretty good. When we approached the car it detected the key. The light show started and the doors unlocked. We talked for a minute before getting in the car. I wish we would have gotten right in the car so I could see just how long it takes for the software to come fully online. Switching from nav to music was slower than I would like but everything worked great and was easy to figure out. There were actually a couple glitches. I’m a visual media composer so I wanted to drive with some of my music playing. Initially my phone wouldn’t connect via Bluetooth. The SA tapped around a few screens and then tried it a different way and then it connected. However, at first anytime I pressed the play button on my phone it started and stopped immediately. I tried several times and the same thing happened. On the glass cockpit we navigated away from the music to the nav and then back to music then it worked. The main point being that my experience was not without its flaws. However, I walked away saying WOW! I have literally never driven a car like this in my entire life. Now I guess I just have to wait for the test drive of the Touring. I’m so excited now I don’t know what to do with myself. So, after my test drive I bought a little Hot Wheels Lucid Air that I can roll around in the meantime 😂

Attachments

• lucid_air_td_01.jpeg
    lucid_air_td_01.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 192
  • lucid_air_td_02.jpeg
    lucid_air_td_02.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 193
  • lucid_air_hot_wheels.jpeg
    lucid_air_hot_wheels.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 222
Thanks so much for your thoughts and review. I have a Touring reserved as well and had a photocopy of your experience in Vancouver at the end of April. GT was amazing. Looking forward to testing the Touring when it is available but expecting to take ownership (when finally offered) regardless. 🙂

I’m not the most public person so I wasn’t going to write anything but reading the test drive review of @rbbarry made me decide to say a little something.

I have a reservation for a Touring. Like @rbbarry, I had never been behind the wheel of an EV and had only ever been a passenger in an EV once (Tesla Model 3). I had decided several years ago that my next vehicle would be an EV, a Model S specifically, but I was enjoying the no car payment life. One night on a date night with my wife when we were coming out of a restaurant this beautiful car drive by us and I saw the words LUCID on the back. I went home and started researching the car and the company. I made multiple trips to a studio and talked with an SA for hours over the course of several conversations. A month later, in April 2022, after doing as much research as I could, I became an investor and reserved the Touring.

When I made my reservation, my SA offered to get me scheduled for a test drive of a GT but I turned him down because I didn’t want to drive a GT and then be disappointed when I drove a Touring. However, like many of you I’ve watched every video made, read every review, and I’ve been on this forum reading all the content, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Eventually, I finally caved in and requested a test drive. I went on the test drive last week. I feel like I could have written rbbarry’s review verbatim. The only luxury car I’ve ever had is a Mercedes Benz E350 and this was a much better drive. I’ve continually said to my wife I don’t really care about the performance, I’m more concerned about a smooth luxury ride. I see myself as someone who will have it in Smooth mode the majority of time. Smooth mode didn't disappoint. I came away still feeling like that is the mode I will use most of the time. However, when I pressed down the accelerator it was so exhilarating to feel how easily it went from 35 to 75. It was great in Smooth mode but awesome in Swift mode and exhilarating in Sprint mode. I just kept doing it and doing it 😂 I guess I was more impacted by the performance then I thought I would be. I can’t talk about handling, and driving dynamics like others because cars aren’t my specialty. I just know it drove so smooth and yet had great performance. I was really nervous about one pedal driving. At first I was really herky jerky but I started to get it and by the end with it in high regen mode I was pretty good at using one pedal to come to a stop. Honestly, for the whole ride It felt like I was one with the road.

I live in the LA area not far from a studio and it’s in a mall that I frequent in Beverly Hills, CA. So, I pop my head in there from time to time. However, when I drove the car it was really the first tIme I’ve actually used the software. I know I’m getting the first model from a new company so I’m not phased at all by the software challenges. In fact it excites me. With that being said, I was actually surprised in a good way, maybe because my expectations were so low. It was running 1.2.6 and it was pretty good. When we approached the car it detected the key. The light show started and the doors unlocked. We talked for a minute before getting in the car. I wish we would have gotten right in the car so I could see just how long it takes for the software to come fully online. Switching from nav to music was slower than I would like but everything worked great and was easy to figure out. There were actually a couple glitches. I’m a visual media composer so I wanted to drive with some of my music playing. Initially my phone wouldn’t connect via Bluetooth. The SA tapped around a few screens and then tried it a different way and then it connected. However, at first anytime I pressed the play button on my phone it started and stopped immediately. I tried several times and the same thing happened. On the glass cockpit we navigated away from the music to the nav and then back to music then it worked. The main point being that my experience was not without its flaws. However, I walked away saying WOW! I have literally never driven a car like this in my entire life. Now I guess I just have to wait for the test drive of the Touring. I’m so excited now I don’t know what to do with myself. So, after my test drive I bought a little Hot Wheels Lucid Air that I can roll around in the meantime 😂
Nice. Thanks for sharing. Now we just have the long wait until they start actually shipping Touring cars. Really hope they get that ball rolling before the end of the year.

Awesome, thanks so much for sharing.

Now that I think about it, the Lucid rep really avoided doing too much on the right side screen while I was driving. I specifically asked if I can click on the navigation button and he said sure. So I did and it loaded right away and it seemed okay. I just really hope they adopt CarPlay soon because I rather use Waze or Google Maps over any stock auto manufacturer's nav system. So I am not too worried about that or the software too much, I have always been an early adopter with tech in general and love when I find bugs. :)

Again, thanks for sharing your test drive experience.

Nice, add another one to the LA area!

Thank you for the review! I have a Pure on order so hopefully they will have at least a Touring to drive by October. I am also hopeful that the Lucid Studio in the Dallas area will open in Q3 as it says on the website. Lots of great info in your review. Thanks again!

Edited to add that I was just searching for some photos of perhaps the location in Plano being built and I do see a job posting for Studio Manager from about a month ago so hopefully that means it will actually open in the fall!

Last edited:
Back