my test drive at the LA Auto Show

karamhanna

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
went for a test drive today, as you can see from the images below there was a line of people waiting to register for a test drive while other tents like Ford, PoleStar and VW had no lines (second photo), also visited their section in the south hall, they had all the Air's on Display (Pure, Touring, GT and Sapphire) they also had the Gravity, both the Sapphire and Gravity were locked and out of reach, here is my personal opinion on the test drive from a Mercedes S class owner
1. comfortability and steering still the Mercedes S class feels better, the Lucid steering felt more on the heavier side, seats are defiantly comfortable but feels sportier than the S class
2. Agility, acceleration and driving dynamics is superb, very interesting and fun to drive, even better than the S class in my opinion
3. massaging seats not worth it, do not expect a mall massaging chairs type of thing
4. one pedal driving is something that I tried for the first time, I like the idea but need sometime to get used to
5. safety features are kind of overprotective, I was leaving the alley to the street and traffic coming from left to right, the car gave a warning and disengaged the brakes (automatic stop) as part of from cross traffic alert, I wasn't even that close
6. glass canopy looks nice but in LA weather I think it will be a bad idea, very hot here in the summer
7. exterior design is charming, a head turner and looks better than the Mercedes
8. exterior is nice but nothing to compare with the S class or the EQS
6. no one from the Lucid people working there knew when the custom configuration for the Touring or Grand Touring will open, they speculate early next year and some of them did not even know that you cannot build your own option for order 😅 however the Lucid section in the south hall was very crowded, more than other brands section, looks like everyone was interested in Lucid
would I still pick the Lucid over a Mercedes? yes, while steering and seats comfort is not as good as the Mercedes but the way it drives is (agility, acceleration and driving dynamics) is impressive, still feel the luxury and looks very sexy, beside all that saving on Gas and avoid all the maintenance headache

IMG_2678.jpg
IMG_2679.jpg

went for a test drive today, as you can see from the images below there was a line of people waiting to register for a test drive while other tents like Ford, PoleStar and VW had no lines (second photo), also visited their section in the south hall, they had all the Air's on Display (Pure, Touring, GT and Sapphire) they also had the Gravity, both the Sapphire and Gravity were locked and out of reach, here is my personal opinion on the test drive from a Mercedes S class owner
1. comfortability and steering still the Mercedes S class feels better, the Lucid steering felt more on the heavier side, seats are defiantly comfortable but feels sportier than the S class
2. Agility, acceleration and driving dynamics is superb, very interesting and fun to drive, even better than the S class in my opinion
3. massaging seats not worth it, do not expect a mall massaging chairs type of thing
4. one pedal driving is something that I tried for the first time, I like the idea but need sometime to get used to
5. safety features are kind of overprotective, I was leaving the alley to the street and traffic coming from left to right, the car gave a warning and disengaged the brakes (automatic stop) as part of from cross traffic alert, I wasn't even that close
6. glass canopy looks nice but in LA weather I think it will be a bad idea, very hot here in the summer
7. exterior design is charming, a head turner and looks better than the Mercedes
8. exterior is nice but nothing to compare with the S class or the EQS
6. no one from the Lucid people working there knew when the custom configuration for the Touring or Grand Touring will open, they speculate early next year and some of them did not even know that you cannot build your own option for order 😅 however the Lucid section in the south hall was very crowded, more than other brands section, looks like everyone was interested in Lucid
would I still pick the Lucid over a Mercedes? yes, while steering and seats comfort is not as good as the Mercedes but the way it drives is (agility, acceleration and driving dynamics) is impressive, still feel the luxury and looks very sexy, beside all that saving on Gas and avoid all the maintenance headache

View attachment 16625View attachment 16626
Well, you are the first person to say the massaging seats are unimpressive, lol.

Also, you meant that the interior can't compare with the s class, right? Thats a matter of tastes, to me.

correction, looks like the suspension is adaptive for the front wheel base, I got the wrong info from the Lucid people over there at the auto show

correction, looks like the suspension is adaptive for the front wheel base, I got the wrong info from the Lucid people over there at the auto show
It's adaptive, just not air suspension

Well, you are the first person to say the massaging seats are unimpressive, lol.

Also, you meant that the interior can't compare with the s class, right? Thats a matter of tastes, to me.
that is correct, sorry for the mistake, exterior design much nicer than S or EQS, Interior for the Mercedes looks and feels better. I have the massaging seats in the S class and I tried it today in the Air GT, both are not what you would expect from a massage seats, which is understandable, they are limited in what they can do regrading deep massage

that is correct, sorry for the mistake, exterior design much nicer than S or EQS, Interior for the Mercedes looks and feels better. I have the massaging seats in the S class and I tried it today in the Air GT, both are not what you would expect from a massage seats, which is understandable, they are limited in what they can do regrading deep massage
Could I know what year your S-Class is?

I own both the GT Air and a MBS560 …I agree with most of the first time test driver/reviewer. Merc interior, IMO. is much nicer and luxury. Much better messaging seats. Exterior, for me, is a tossup. Driving dynamics, hands down the GT. I love driving it. The GT was delivered Sept ’22. I thought I would keep both and decide which to keep…I kept them both. As a daily driver my first choice is the GT, but it’s never a bad thing to drive the S…as far as quality, I’d go with the Merc. Body panels, paint, detailing, interior finishes…just superior on the Merc. Let's see how it ages and if Lucid can stay afloat. I enjoy them both.

I own both the GT Air and a MBS560 …I agree with most of the first time test driver/reviewer. Merc interior, IMO. is much nicer and luxury. Much better messaging seats. Exterior, for me, is a tossup. Driving dynamics, hands down the GT. I love driving it. The GT was delivered Sept ’22. I thought I would keep both and decide which to keep…I kept them both. As a daily driver my first choice is the GT, but it’s never a bad thing to drive the S…as far as quality, I’d go with the Merc. Body panels, paint, detailing, interior finishes…just superior on the Merc. Let's see how it ages and if Lucid can stay afloat. I enjoy them both.
I prefer the latest 7 series over the s class, but yeah both cars suit different preferences.

Back