Mileage question

rlissak

Cars
Lucid Air
I charged my car to 325 miles yesterday. Drove from Boca Raton FL to Naples FL. Had 200 miles left. Drove around town had 180 miles left to come back to Boca. I drove back 100 miles and my mileage went from 180 to 5. miles.
The road is flat, I drove about 80 mph, had the air on and used my blue tooth. Any ideas on why my actual mileage was low versus expected mileage?

I charged my car to 325 miles yesterday. Drove from Boca Raton FL to Naples FL. Had 200 miles left. Drove around town had 180 miles left to come back to Boca. I drove back 100 miles and my mileage went from 180 to 5. miles.
The road is flat, I drove about 80 mph, had the air on and used my blue tooth. Any ideas on why my actual mileage was low versus expected mileage?
You said it: you drove at around 80 mph (so do I). The testing is done at much slower speeds and high speeds materially decrease efficiency:

"The HWFET cycle simulates sustained-speed highway driving by getting the vehicle up to speed, then having it fluctuate between various speeds in the 30–60 mph range over the course of the test. The wheels don’t come to a complete stop until the end. This test measures highway fuel economy."

In Arizona, if I drove at 60 mph on the interstate I would be a victim of road rage.

There are 4 big factors that affect your remaining mileage/efficiency.

1) speed
2) elevation change
3) ambient temp
4) wind

Thanks, Steve. It was my first real highway road trip and I did not know what to expect. Your reply was very helpful.

Back