Lucid still needs to get known

CLTGT

Verified Owner
Cars
73 Mustang Conv & the GT
As the title says, Lucid still needs to get known, get exposure. There are still too many out there who do not know anything about the car.

I was at the Volvo dealership yesterday getting my son's car serviced. First, the service tech asked me what I drive after telling him this was my son's car. When I said a Lucid Air, his next question was "who makes that?" So we talk about Lucid for a bit and the car. I go into the waiting room/sales section of the building and started looking at a C40 electric. Sales guy walks up and asks if I know anything about electric cars, my response, "just a bit". so he proceeds to try and sell me on the 230 mile range, full charge in "just four hours", etc. I then tell him what I drive, same set of questions, "who makes that", "where is it made", range, etc. Another sales guy is listening from his desk and starts to chime in. None of these guys had ever even heard of Lucid. I felt really bad for a couple that walked in the dealership, sat down with a sales associate and proceeded to ask tons of questions about hybrid/electric that the gut really never fully answered. The sales guy sitting in the next desk over, one I had been talking with earlier, after a specific question more about the charging environment actually chimed in and told them "hey, this guy (me) has an electric car and you should ask him what he thinks". So, the customers ask what kind, I tell them. They haven't heard of Lucid either so the whole Q&A session begins anew. They were looking for an SUV, so no real threat to Volvo...yet. Their focus was also on a hybrid as they were wary of the charging network and made longer trips to the beach.

Unfortunately, the Volvo dealership is under construction so the service waiting area is just a sectioned off part of the small sales floor they have while their showroom is being essentially rebuilt. Anyway, none of the five people I spoke with had ever heard of Lucid. On the one hand, Lucid needs some recognition. On the other, there appears to be a great untapped reservoir of customers out there.

I'm thinking that was the point of the Oscars commercial, but it's still a small audience, and fewer still who see commercials anymore. Having some cars on the street has helped but that's a very slow way to ramp up recognition.

Yea, I don't know what the right answer is. Most of these people were probably not the right demographic, but you would think the Volvo sales guys should at least know who Lucid is. The Oscars viewership has been declining. I know we did not watch it.

I have to take my wife's GLS 450 into service next month and I think I will have her drop the car off and pick her up in the Lucid to see if I get any comments from the Merc guys, just for fun.

Yea, I don't know what the right answer is. Most of these people were probably not the right demographic, but you would think the Volvo sales guys should at least know who Lucid is. The Oscars viewership has been declining. I know we did not watch it.

I have to take my wife's GLS 450 into service next month and I think I will have her drop the car off and pick her up in the Lucid to see if I get any comments from the Merc guys, just for fun.
I brought my sprinter van in for service a couple months ago, had my brother follow me to the dealership in my GT and the Mercedes techs and sales reps went nuts. They definitely knew it, even though they were saying the EQS is a 450 mile range vehicle..

I regularly get random friendly people asking me about my car, including one guy who rolled down his window to ask questions while we were both sitting in traffic on the highway (!). All compliment the car, but perhaps half had actually heard of Lucid Motors. I guess that does speak to the car's looks, that people like it despite no brand cachet.

As the title says, Lucid still needs to get known, get exposure. There are still too many out there who do not know anything about the car.

I was at the Volvo dealership yesterday getting my son's car serviced. First, the service tech asked me what I drive after telling him this was my son's car. When I said a Lucid Air, his next question was "who makes that?" So we talk about Lucid for a bit and the car. I go into the waiting room/sales section of the building and started looking at a C40 electric. Sales guy walks up and asks if I know anything about electric cars, my response, "just a bit". so he proceeds to try and sell me on the 230 mile range, full charge in "just four hours", etc. I then tell him what I drive, same set of questions, "who makes that", "where is it made", range, etc. Another sales guy is listening from his desk and starts to chime in. None of these guys had ever even heard of Lucid. I felt really bad for a couple that walked in the dealership, sat down with a sales associate and proceeded to ask tons of questions about hybrid/electric that the gut really never fully answered. The sales guy sitting in the next desk over, one I had been talking with earlier, after a specific question more about the charging environment actually chimed in and told them "hey, this guy (me) has an electric car and you should ask him what he thinks". So, the customers ask what kind, I tell them. They haven't heard of Lucid either so the whole Q&A session begins anew. They were looking for an SUV, so no real threat to Volvo...yet. Their focus was also on a hybrid as they were wary of the charging network and made longer trips to the beach.

Unfortunately, the Volvo dealership is under construction so the service waiting area is just a sectioned off part of the small sales floor they have while their showroom is being essentially rebuilt. Anyway, none of the five people I spoke with had ever heard of Lucid. On the one hand, Lucid needs some recognition. On the other, there appears to be a great untapped reservoir of customers out there.
Volvo's customer service is terrible. Volvo edison for me and we literally got ignored by sales associates.

It's amazing how customer service varies. I actually got very good service yesterday. I dropped my car off and the wife and I went to Costco. I received several text messages from the Service Associate about a couple recommended items as well as the status of my car. They finished up at about the same time as we finished up at Costco. I couldn't have asked for anything more really.

I also got great service from my BMW dealership here is Charlotte. The Mercedes dealership we use is right up the street from both the Volvo and the BMW dealership. The Mercedes dealership is owned by the same people as the BMW dealership (Hendrick), but their customer service can't compare to the BMW guys. I will not buy another Mercedes because of it.

I would agreed and disagreed at the same time. I agreed that Lucid brand needs more brand recognition; but at the same time, I wouldn't want to see Lucid brand been overly exposed to a point that people resent the brand. Tesla is a good case. In early 2010s, Tesla started to make MS and people were fascinated by it. Nowadays, Tesla brand is well just Tesla. It is as bland as GM and Ford.

Service for our Chrysler Pacifica last month and every one came up to us saying they couldn’t believe they finally saw a Lucid. Asked to take pictures. The fame is slowly coming!

I had a Chevy sedan pass me on the interstate yesterday very slowly. When they finally got up to where we were side by side, I saw the female driver filming me with her phone and continued to do so while she finished her 1 minute pass. 😆

I've had several people ask me how I like my Lucid and probably the same number of people ask me what it is. So about 1/2 seem to know about the car, and I'm in Colorado.

I was in Silicon Valley last week taking my kid to visit colleges and never saw one. I was a bit surprised because my impression has been that's where a bunch of Lucids live. Teslas, OTOH, are about 1 out of every 4 cars. I really wish I had my Lucid then!

Lucid needs to become better known, for sure. Even if most of the people who know it won’t be able to afford an Air. Eventually, that sub-$50k car will come. Meanwhile, people should recognize it and associate it with luxury. Like they do Rolex, Breitling, Omega, etc.

More cars on the road will do that. Commercials can do that.

Product placement is probably the best way to do it, though. The little clip in the Succession trailer suggests they have already gotten the car featured in that show. The more they can do that, the better.

Couple years ago, I took my wife to Land Rover dealership to check out Defender and any possible PHEV options. 15 minutes into the show room, none of dozen fancy suit salesmen with high nostrils bothered to approach us. So we were just messing those SUVs ourselves and walked out thought they are just snobs didn’t want our business. As we drove off parking lot, I then just realized we were judged. A couple in Texan coming in with F250 in parking lot and T-shirt is not their qualified profiled buyer type for Land Rover products. Time forward a year later, 3 months after my AGT ownership, we went back to the same dealership again. Then this time 3 sales approached us after we got off Lucid Air to enter the showroom. “Big Mistake! I already made up my mind buying a Lucid Air instead. I’m just here to check out what is added to your inventory.” Then I realized I was acting Juliet Robert in Pretty Woman going back to Rodeo drive.

Anyway, after having Rivian R1S. This SUV pretty much made me think Land Rover Defender is drawing dead vs. R1S off-road EV SUV in every aspect. Goodbye, Land Rover!

#dontjudgebookbyitscover

Last edited:
I'm thinking that was the point of the Oscars commercial, but it's still a small audience, and fewer still who see commercials anymore. Having some cars on the street has helped but that's a very slow way to ramp up recognition.
My neighbor named his dog Oscars.
Guess what, the dog found out about it reading the next morning newspaper, then tried to committ a suicide.
Luckily, after mouth to mouth, the dog started to breathe again. Close call.
No "Oscars" mention in their household.

I had the same experience walking into a Las Vegas Mercedes dealership 20 years ago. My wife and I drove up in our Navigator, looked at a few cars and no one came around to help. Never stepped foot in that dealership or any other Mercedes dealership until a few years ago when we purchased my wife's GLS450. We drove straight over to Audi and bought one of the early 8 cylinder Q7's. Fast forward 15 years from the Mercedes snub and I drove into an Audi dealership here in Charlotte to look at some used cars for one of my sons. I was either driving my BMW B7 or my BMW M5, can't remember, but got snubbed again. That wasn't being profiled, it was just plain poor customer service. Never considered an Audi since and I still really don't like Mercedes that much.

Agree that most people have never even heard of the brand, but today I had an experience that made me think that it's getting a little better known among the car crowd: I just purchased a used 2021 Macan to replace an older Jaguar F-Pace (turbo blew up about 30 minutes out of warranty, and I told the dealer that due to this, and a myriad of other problems over the years, they were going to give me a great price on the trade in, and sell me something from their used inventory- any car that wasn't a Jaguar or Land Rover product. They had the base Macan with just 1,800 miles, so I got it.) Anyway- I went to the Porsche dealer to get into their system (car is still under factory warranty). The service guy was pretty cool, and was happy to 'welcome you to the Porsche family'. I told him that the car was fine, but nothing like my other car. This led to the obvious question. When I told him I had a Lucid AGT, he'd never heard of it. However, the guy at the desk next to him chimed in and started gushing- wow! amazing! It'll smoke the Taycan... etc. etc. This led to a long discussion about performance, charging, interior etc. and pretty soon the whole service department was standing around, looking at the pictures on the website, and basically acting like total fanboiz. So, I guess I feel a little like Johnny Lucidseed, spreading the word wherever I can.

First day in my Air, I'm picking up take out for dinner. I come out, a girl is taking a picture with it! As Charlie Brown says, good grief!

Agree that most people have never even heard of the brand, but today I had an experience that made me think that it's getting a little better known among the car crowd: I just purchased a used 2021 Macan to replace an older Jaguar F-Pace (turbo blew up about 30 minutes out of warranty, and I told the dealer that due to this, and a myriad of other problems over the years, they were going to give me a great price on the trade in, and sell me something from their used inventory- any car that wasn't a Jaguar or Land Rover product. They had the base Macan with just 1,800 miles, so I got it.) Anyway- I went to the Porsche dealer to get into their system (car is still under factory warranty). The service guy was pretty cool, and was happy to 'welcome you to the Porsche family'. I told him that the car was fine, but nothing like my other car. This led to the obvious question. When I told him I had a Lucid AGT, he'd never heard of it. However, the guy at the desk next to him chimed in and started gushing- wow! amazing! It'll smoke the Taycan... etc. etc. This led to a long discussion about performance, charging, interior etc. and pretty soon the whole service department was standing around, looking at the pictures on the website, and basically acting like total fanboiz. So, I guess I feel a little like Johnny Lucidseed, spreading the word wherever I can.
Porsche dealers are cool. I was talking with a employee, and on his desk was a can of blinker fluid.

Back