Lucid Motors to lease more than 1,300 acres in Casa Grande

The rapid growth and expansion efforts to me don't line up with the reservation numbers. Either Lucid is betting on a "build it and they will come" model or they know something internally that isn't released to the public yet. This plant is massive when the company only has 30,000 reservations......

The rapid growth and expansion efforts to me don't line up with the reservation numbers. Either Lucid is betting on a "build it and they will come" model or they know something internally that isn't released to the public yet. This plant is massive when the company only has 30,000 reservations......
Well, it has been almost three months since they announced that 30,000 number. Presumably, they have some more now? Plus the Saudi orders.

I'm also assuming some of this capacity is for Gravity, and then whatever comes after that.

Personally, I think it's smart to plan ahead. Shows confidence.

Now, what I'd really like to see them announce along side this is a massive expansion of service centers / studios. They are not going to get big reservation numbers until a lot more places are within 50 miles or so of a service center.

Well, it has been almost three months since they announced that 30,000 number. Presumably, they have some more now? Plus the Saudi orders.

I'm also assuming some of this capacity is for Gravity, and then whatever comes after that.

Personally, I think it's smart to plan ahead. Shows confidence.
I’m sure they had a boatload of reservations before the price increase went into effect. Fewer since them. Many of those may not be real. If I was on the fence, I would have made two. One for a Toruing and one for a Pure to lock in the lower price. Then cancel one or the other before confirmation. I’m sure there are others who have done something similar.
I would be very curious to the numbers before and after the increase, but I doubt they would provide it.

My guess is they are betting the future on the Gravity. With the Air winning all these accolades, Lucid can't be ignored (if they can get their production in check). Lucid has shown they have the tech for a phenomenal car and hopefully a SUV.

Lucid can't survive as a company with just the Air.

Nor even combined with the Gravity. That is about 100k units per year.

The smallest independent automakers sell about 1M units per year.*

Lucid eventually will need a compact crossover with a starting price ~$52k. That vehicle can get to 900k units per year worldwide.

Failing to plan for that vehicle is planning to fail.

Lucid Group isn't valued at ~$30B because they plan to sell ~100k luxury vehicles per year.

* No, Jaguar Land Rover is not a fully independent automaker. It is owned by Tata Motors. No Volvo and Polestar are not fully independent automakers. They are owned by Geely Auto. The Chinese startup automakers that are smaller than 1m units per year will either grow past 1M, combine to form a company with 1M + volume, be purchased by an automaker with 1M+ volume or go out of business.

Back