Lucid Motors switches the exec in charge of build quality as the EV startup struggles to ramp up production

DJL

Verified Owner
Just announced today, Lucid is switching Execs involved in Quality Control. Business Insider has an article which states: "
Lucid Motors is shifting the roles of two top executives as the company pushes to address the ongoing quality issues that have hampered production, sources familiar with the changes told Insider.
Peter Hochholdinger, Lucid's manufacturing vice president and a longtime Audi veteran and former VP of production at Tesla, will no longer oversee manufacturing quality. VP of global quality Nicolas Minbiole will now oversee quality for manufacturing, suppliers, and packaging, in an attempt to address ongoing supply and production snafus, three sources with direct knowledge said."

Just announced today, Lucid is switching Execs involved in Quality Control. Business Insider has an article which states: "
Lucid Motors is shifting the roles of two top executives as the company pushes to address the ongoing quality issues that have hampered production, sources familiar with the changes told Insider.
Peter Hochholdinger, Lucid's manufacturing vice president and a longtime Audi veteran and former VP of production at Tesla, will no longer oversee manufacturing quality. VP of global quality Nicolas Minbiole will now oversee quality for manufacturing, suppliers, and packaging, in an attempt to address ongoing supply and production snafus, three sources with direct knowledge said."
Ah, maybe that was the problem!

Big shakeup. A few thoughts:

1. They didn't fire Hochholdinger. They are simply removing QC from his duties. Tricky thing to pull off without ruffling feathers.

2. It's a good sign that this was done only six months or so into starting real production. It's a signal the executive team can take swift action when needed. Sounds obvious, but a lot of companies screw this up. They let the wrong people keep promising they can "do better" for years, while quality suffers.

3. It's clear Rawlinson isn't kidding around about wanting to beat Tesla on quality. Will the production process stay slow for a while as they fix this? Hopefully it won't take too long.

If this is the stock price driver today, I understand why. Should boost confidence in the leadership team.

Anyone familiar with the past track record of Nicolas Minbiole?

We have entered the search for the guilt and persecution of the innocent phase of program management. Or are we rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?

Hmm, they hired Peter because he was responsible for fixing the Model 3 production line...

We have entered the search for the guilt and persecution of the innocent phase of program management. Or are we rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?
Neither. Just trying to put the right people in the right positions to maximize results. As a former CEO, I can appreciate what he has done. It helps maintain loyality and shows an appreciation of a person's skills and efforts, even though the results fell short. I don't know any of the details in terms of how the change was managed, but, if done propery, it should generate respect inside Lucid's superb management team.

Hmm, they hired Peter because he was responsible for fixing the Model 3 production line...
Actually he was responsible for the Model 3 line in general (he started a year before Model 3 began production) so not sure about the “fixing” part :). I think there was fixing still going on when he left in 2019

He’s not being fired. Maybe there was just more on his plate than 1 person can handle.

What about software management??? ;)

What about software management??? ;)
I think I read somewhere the software team has already seen a pretty high level of turnaround. Like, fire the lot and start over type of turnaround. Not sure if that’s backed up with evidence anywhere, though.

Interesting, that take from one of the sources. Basically, that this was what they needed to do. Shake things up.

I’m guessing Rawlinson didn’t like what he saw when he started hanging out at the factory every day.

Reactions: DJL
Interesting, that take from one of the sources. Basically, that this was what they needed to do. Shake things up.

I’m guessing Rawlinson didn’t like what he saw when he started hanging out at the factory every day.
So why is Rawlinson hiring people that can't cut it? Maybe all of the VPs should have their desks moved to the factory floor...

Back