LUCID Ceramic Brake Upgrade?

Reading this post and comments I have formed two conclusions: (1) you absolutely must get carbon ceramic brakes; and (2) You should NOT get carbon ceramic brakes. I think this helps prove the theorem that anecdotal evidence is questionable.

Just received an offer from Tesla to add ceramic brakes to our Model S Plaid at a price of 20k. Funny thing is, we no longer have the Plaid. Any chance of Lucid offering Ceramic brakes as an Option? Should be a simple thing to do. I for one would grab a set. I wonder how many owners would go for it as well.
What are “brakes”? Seriously, I would not waste money on ceramic breaks for a Lucid unless it’s for the Uber high performance Sapphire which has them as standard equipment.

It is indeed about having more - about having the best. Some people are just accustomed with the best!
Ceramic brakes are not per se better than regular breaks. The weight is an argument because of mass inertia. But it must have the right temperature to deliver the best breaking performance. I doubt that on a 70 mph trip without really breaking for hundreds of miles. Here in Germany it could make sense if you break from 170 mph down to 50 mph again and again. I loved the ceramic breaks on my S8+ and M5. But in US? Better buy your next Rolex. ;)

Ceramic brakes are not per se better than regular breaks. The weight is an argument because of mass inertia. But it must have the right temperature to deliver the best breaking performance. I doubt that on a 70 mph trip without really breaking for hundreds of miles. Here in Germany it could make sense if you break from 170 mph down to 50 mph again and again. I loved the ceramic breaks on my S8+ and M5. But in US? Better buy your next Rolex. ;)

I'd prefer A. Lange & Söhne. But that would be a bit pricier than ceramic brakes.

What are “brakes”? Seriously, I would not waste money on ceramic breaks for a Lucid unless it’s for the Uber high performance Sapphire which has them as standard equipment.
Brakes slow or stop a vehicle. Breaks are separations, like breaks from working.

I mean, the lucids breaks are absolutely phenomena. Almost had a heart attack on a sudden break on a test drive.
If my Lucid broke on a test drive, I'd have a (virtual) heart attack too.

Why would a retrofit for ceramic brakes cost $20K??? Besides new ceramic brake pads and possibly new rotors, what else would be involved (besides highway robbery) ? I'm guessing more plaid enthusiasts would be more likely to track than lucid owners so I think a similar offer for Airs would have a limited appeal.

If you are talking about the Sapphire OEM set up, probably more than $20K
Rotors (extra fancy carboceramic), calipers, hubs (noting the change to center locks) and different wheels, a bunch of labor and then hwo knows what the software differences are

I rarely use the brakes in my AGT and have not been tested on their stopping power. My gut is that they are not as powerful as Porsche breaks either CCBs or iron rotors, but they are not designed for closed-circuit use, like Porsches. So, I leave more space between me and the car ahead. Carbon ceramic breaks did not fade at all with heavy track use on my 991 Turbo S and aside from no brake dust, there seems little if any practical advantage for a vehicle used on public roads. I will not track a 5200 pound car so the question of CCBs is mute for me. It would be interesting to know the breaking distances of Lucids with iron rotors vs CCBs in typical driving situations, not repeated full braking to test fade.

Why would a retrofit for ceramic brakes cost $20K??? Besides new ceramic brake pads and possibly new rotors, what else would be involved (besides highway robbery) ? I'm guessing more plaid enthusiasts would be more likely to track than lucid owners so I think a similar offer for Airs would have a limited appeal.
You should see the recent Savage Geese video to see the engineering(and resulting cost) of brakes of that caliber(caliper? get it?)

However, I agree that if it wasn't OEM, it would be around 15k. However, with this you keep the warranty and OEM support.

If you are talking about the Sapphire OEM set up, probably more than $20K
Rotors (extra fancy carboceramic), calipers, hubs (noting the change to center locks) and different wheels, a bunch of labor and then hwo knows what the software differences are
No I meant for a Tesla plaid retrofit. But I suppose if they do more that change the brake pads and rotors, $20K might, and I say might, be justified...

I'm a cheap sucker so ceramic brakes for my Rx8 meant Hawk ceramic pads and Frozen Rotors (cryo treated) at a cost substantially less than $20K 😏 But for the RX8, yes it was worth it.

For a plaid the best play may be to just trade for one with the brake upgrade.

For one emergency stop, you are relying on the grip of your tires more than the stopping power of your braking system. If the tires have enough grip, ABS shouldn't engage.

Once you start to brake repeatedly, that's when a better braking system comes into play. Mostly because it has the ability reject the heat from repeat braking.

So generally speaking, the biggest upgrade is tire. A stickier tire will generally reduce braking distance. Using that same tire with a braking system that bites harder will just cause you to lock up sooner and hit abs. You want to threshold brake without ever engaging the abs system.

Back