lucid and Genesis GV60

Steveinarizona

Cars
Genesis GV60 Performance
We have at least two members here who have both a Lucid Air and a Genesis GV60. They aren't comparable (sedan vs. small SUV) but there are some useful comparisons. Saratoga Lefty is going to try high regen on the Lucid and then low regen (to allow coasting) on the Genesis on the same routes. The goal isn't to compare the two cars so much as to compare the methods (my understanding is that low regen is not a useful technique on the Lucid because the front tires don't disengage; it is AWD all the time).

One caveat: it appears from postings on this forum and on the Genesis forum that the Lucid seems to like highway driving (albeit not at 80 mph) while the Genesis seems to like city driving (my efficiency is much higher in city driving although my highway driving is at 75-80). So this makes for another apples to oranges comparison. But it should still be interesting.

So I am not really comparing the Lucid to the GV60. I bought the GV60 for my wife and I am trying to find the most efficient way for her to drive the car; she is very nervous about using regen. My Lucid is a totally different experience and I am not really overly concerned with maximizing efficiency. I drive the Lucid most of the time in Smooth mode with High Regen one pedal driving. My efficiency after almost 9000 miles is right around 3.1 mi/kwh and that is fine. I enjoy driving it aggressively on the local "mountain" roads and usually fairly fast on the freeways. I will be conducting some experimental drives on the GV60 using the Eco mode and comparing iPedal (their version of one pedal driving) with Auto Regen (a different type of adjustable regen depending on the driving conditions).

So I am not really comparing the Lucid to the GV60. I bought the GV60 for my wife and I am trying to find the most efficient way for her to drive the car; she is very nervous about using regen. My Lucid is a totally different experience and I am not really overly concerned with maximizing efficiency. I drive the Lucid most of the time in Smooth mode with High Regen one pedal driving. My efficiency after almost 9000 miles is right around 3.1 mi/kwh and that is fine. I enjoy driving it aggressively on the local "mountain" roads and usually fairly fast on the freeways. I will be conducting some experimental drives on the GV60 using the Eco mode and comparing iPedal (their version of one pedal driving) with Auto Regen (a different type of adjustable regen depending on the driving conditions).
I have been doing the same thing with my GV60 Performance. Driving it like I hate it and just enjoying the driving experience. I have been averaging 3.1 since I bought the car. One question: what is this Eco mode of which you speak?

I have been doing the same thing with my GV60 Performance. Driving it like I hate it and just enjoying the driving experience. I have been averaging 3.1 since I bought the car. One question: what is this Eco mode of which you speak?
I'll DM you to avoid highjacking this forum.

Any update? Curious to hear about the experience. I had a reservation on a Lucid, canceled it as I was getting nervous about locking in an order before IRA changes eligibility, and am now driving the Kia EV6 (sister car to the GV60).
Averaging 3.5 mi/kWh since end of August 2022, with efficiency ranging from 2.9 mi/kWh ish in winter to sometimes hitting 5 mi/kWh in late spring once the temperature hits 70 F. Mostly driving in Normal mode (AWD off after initial acceleration) and mostly city driving

So what you describe as "Normal" mode is what the GV60 calls "Eco" mode. The GV60 has three modes: Eco, Comfort, and Sport. The Eco mode disengages the front motor after a brief amount of time accelerating from a full stop. Comfort and Sport keep the front motor engaged all the time. So far after about 1000 miles the car is averaging right around 3.7 mi/kWh.

The GV-60 is also supposed to have a "Snow" mode. You need to hold down the mode button. I haven't tried it yet, though.

So what you describe as "Normal" mode is what the GV60 calls "Eco" mode. The GV60 has three modes: Eco, Comfort, and Sport. The Eco mode disengages the front motor after a brief amount of time accelerating from a full stop. Comfort and Sport keep the front motor engaged all the time
Hmm... no, "Normal" is probably GV60's "Comfort".
The GV-60 is also supposed to have a "Snow" mode
Same on Ioniq 5 and 6 and Kia EV6, long pressing goes to Snow.

I used to think Normal mode engages the front motor all the time, but it actually disengages too (just at a higher speed than Eco). It is also quicker to re-engage if more power is needed. Curious if the GV60 Comfort mode also behaves like this - you'd want to change your display to show the power distribution to the individual wheels to notice this, because on my EV6 I basically did not notice only the back wheels were being powered.

I have both cars (GV60 and Lucid) , and they are both great. The Gv60 is easy and fun to drive, handles really great, great for trips to the store and errands, it attracts less attention.. The lucid is more of a GT car, it is just as fast, and handles great too, does everything really well, range is better, attracts allot of attention..

So I'll chime in on a different comparison. I drive my Air GT 90% of the time. My wife's car is a 2023 Electrified G80. The G80 is a very fine car with beautiful lines and beautiful build quality. It also is extremely efficient for vehicle built on a modified ICE chassis. Its EPA range rating is a respectable 282 miles. When I charge to 80% it is at least 275 or more miles. The few times it's been charged to 90-100% it is well over 300 miles. The G80 delivers a consistent 3.5-3.8+ kw/m. There are compromises in the G80 for sure but very good. That said, it is not a Lucid. I do notice certain compromises in the G80 but many folks probably won't necessarily notice. When people ask me how I compare them I always say if I didn't own the Air the G80 would be the a great EV... until you drive the Air. The power delivery and driving dynamics of the Air are very noticeable and far superior. Very different animals.

So I'll chime in on a different comparison. I drive my Air GT 90% of the time. My wife's car is a 2023 Electrified G80. The G80 is a very fine car with beautiful lines and beautiful build quality. It also is extremely efficient for vehicle built on a modified ICE chassis. Its EPA range rating is a respectable 282 miles. When I charge to 80% it is at least 275 or more miles. The few times it's been charged to 90-100% it is well over 300 miles. The G80 delivers a consistent 3.5-3.8+ kw/m. There are compromises in the G80 for sure but very good. That said, it is not a Lucid. I do notice certain compromises in the G80 but many folks probably won't necessarily notice. When people ask me how I compare them I always say if I didn't own the Air the G80 would be the a great EV... until you drive the Air. The power delivery and driving dynamics of the Air are very noticeable and far superior. Very different animals.
Having owned an electrified G80 prior to my Lucid, I can totally concur with your comments. The Lucid is simply on another level.

I had an electrified G80 as a loaner for several weeks. While it drove fine as a GT, the trunk is so tiny that it negates its usefulness as a GT.

Back