Lucid Air model lineup updates for 2024

I believe GT has different battery which allows it to get to 800+hp so a Touring with GT hp might not work
Good point. That would not be possible.

But the AWD Pure should be able to be upgraded, I think.

I mean, you can now add massaging seats and everything that is on the GT, so the only difference would be the silver mirror caps!
And the bigger battery. Which means a good bit more range.

And the bigger battery. Which means a good bit more range.
Not to mention, all those options on a Touring would very likely get you into the same price range as a GT, anyway.

Not to mention, all those options on a Touring would very likely get you into the same price range as a GT, anyway.
A '23 Touring with all options is $90k after rebates and a '23 GT is $117k after rebates, so it's a $27k difference. I think its a very valid question if the extra range is worth $27k for people.

Of course 2024 pricing has changed, but it also really hasn't...once you add everything that the Touring had standard before, it's basically the same price it was before.

I believe GT has different battery which allows it to get to 800+hp so a Touring with GT hp might not work
It is more about the voltage difference between the GT and Touring/Pure battery than the capacity. GT when fully charged is 924V where the Touring/Pure is 756V. At the same current, the GT will have more power.

I mean, you can now add massaging seats and everything that is on the GT, so the only difference would be the silver mirror caps!
Actually, looking at the configurator, it doesn't look like you can get massaging seats with leather in Pure/Touring....you can only get massage with PurLuxe interior.

Actually, looking at the configurator, it doesn't look like you can get massaging seats with leather in Pure/Touring....you can only get massage with PurLuxe interior.
Yes, I found that really weird. I meant the massaging feature as a broader term, but if we are talking about massaging seats with leather, that is exclusive to the GT for reasons that I have no idea about.

A '23 Touring with all options is $90k after rebates and a '23 GT is $117k after rebates, so it's a $27k difference. I think its a very valid question if the extra range is worth $27k for people.

Of course 2024 pricing has changed, but it also really hasn't...once you add everything that the Touring had standard before, it's basically the same price it was before.
200hp more
Faster charging
Bigger battery
Nicer interior trims

…worth every penny!

200hp more
Faster charging
Bigger battery
Nicer interior trims

…worth every penny!
i'm glad you find it worth it. But people have their own priorities. $27k can be a whole second car. Some people may not have regular roads to use that extra 200hp that only peaks above 80mph for instance.

i'm glad you find it worth it. But people have their own priorities. $27k can be a whole second car. Some people may not have regular roads to use that extra 200hp that only peaks above 80mph for instance.
I actually need the range. Fairly frequent 300-350 mile trips.

I actually need the range. Fairly frequent 300-350 mile trips.
The range was the biggest factor in my decision too. I do like the interior, but I don't use the extra HP in the GT. But I do plan on keeping the car a very long time. Since range decreases with miles driven and battery age, you want to start with as possible.
When I bought it, there were items that were standard in the GT that I would have had to pay extra for in the Touring, like the glass canopy, which brings the prices closer to each other. But obviously, you have to buy what you can afford. In the past, we've sold a car just so that we could buy two cheaper ones since my husband and I each needed a vehicle.

I wanted the GT's range for trips into the hinterlands that would otherwise require a gas car. Volvo XC60 T8 PHEV was the alternative choice, but I really wanted to avoid buying an ICE-mobile.

Another benefit from having a bigger battery is typically charging curves are set based off percentage. If you roadtrip typically you would maximize the charging curve so you'd pull in low and charge only to what you needed to jump to the next one (0-50%). 50% of a GT gives you more miles thus in a long roadtrip, you can save quite a bit of time. Even if taking advantage of the curve saves 5 minutes per stop over 10 stops thats a decent chunk of time. When my girlfriend and I moved to AZ from CO, her trip in a M3 standard range took 17 hours... mine took 13 in a MSP. My 50% was not close to hers which forced her to use the charger for much longer since the charging curve hurt her bad. Thats a drastic example and not as prevalent in the Lucid lineup but thats something that definitely gets overlooked.

Another benefit from having a bigger battery is typically charging curves are set based off percentage. If you roadtrip typically you would maximize the charging curve so you'd pull in low and charge only to what you needed to jump to the next one (0-50%). 50% of a GT gives you more miles thus in a long roadtrip, you can save quite a bit of time. Even if taking advantage of the curve saves 5 minutes per stop over 10 stops thats a decent chunk of time. When my girlfriend and I moved to AZ from CO, her trip in a M3 standard range took 17 hours... mine took 13 in a MSP. My 50% was not close to hers which forced her to use the charger for much longer since the charging curve hurt her bad. Thats a drastic example and not as prevalent in the Lucid lineup but thats something that definitely gets overlooked.
Very good point! The Lucid also has a higher charging rate on the GT vs the T or Pure, I will note, which is another reason!

Range is an interesting factor in EVs. A bigger battery adds range but also more weight and lowers the miles per kWh. I think just because of the weight,
I noticed that Pure gets about 10% better miles per kWh than GT at 70mph my preferred setting on a long distance trip. That means at 100% to 20% battery the difference in real world range between Pure and GT is much less than the EPA numbers.

80% of 92KWh at 4 mlies per kWh in Pure is 294 miles. Subtract for HVAC etc and it is 270 miles.
80% of 112KWh at 3.6 mlies per kWh in GT is 322miles. Subtract for HVAC etc and it is 300 miles.

I choose to slow down on such trips for more range and be comfortable in HVAC.

Range is an interesting factor in EVs. A bigger battery adds range but also more weight and lowers the miles per kWh. I think just because of the weight,
I noticed that Pure gets about 10% better miles per kWh than GT at 70mph my preferred setting on a long distance trip. That means at 100% to 20% battery the difference in real world range between Pure and GT is much less than the EPA numbers.

80% of 92KWh at 4 mlies per kWh in Pure is 294 miles. Subtract for HVAC etc and it is 270 miles.
80% of 112KWh at 3.6 mlies per kWh in GT is 322miles. Subtract for HVAC etc and it is 300 miles.

I choose to slow down on such trips for more range and be comfortable in HVAC.

I thought the small battery would be more efficient. But I reset my Trip A in the Touring and did 75mph from SJ to SF and could not pass 3.3miles per KWh (with heater on 70F in 50F ambient)
On the way back i drove a bit faster (between 75-80mph) and averaged 3.1 miles/KWh. But in both cases i didn't use any significant acceleration and mostly just cruised.

Either way, i don't see how people are getting even close to 4.

Back