I really like my Lucid Air Touring. That is actually what makes what happened this week so concerning.
I've had the car about 18 months and have approximately 16,000 miles on it. On September 30, a warning suddenly appeared while I was driving. I called Lucid immediately, they arranged a tow - which by the way arrived 26 hours later - and the car was taken to the Beverly Hills Service Center the following day.
Lucid Beverly Hills has now told me in writing:
“Hello [...], at this time your Air is checked in and in our service queue. As mentioned on Thursday when the vehicle arrived via tow, we are anticipating a service time of about 7 weeks.”
Seven weeks!
I called Customer Care and the representative was very understanding. During our conversation, she suggested that the Beverly Hills service operation may have only one or two people handling service, which could explain the delay. I don't know the actual staffing level, so I don't want to state that as fact, but it raised a larger concern for me.
Lucid is paying for an Enterprise rental, which I appreciate. Enterprise initially offered me a Porsche Panamera, but insisted in selling me insurance for $95 per day. Lucid representative had initially told me that they would cover the insurance. Once at Enterprise, that wasn't true anymore. $95 per day x 7 weeks is real money. It turns out that my own insurance would have covered that, but because of Lucid's initial representation, I had not checked. I have ended up with a Genesis G70 with about 46,000 miles, while paying the lease on a $95k car.
They say that they will switch me to a Lucid 'if' one becomes available, but I will believe that when I see it.
The most concerning, and it should concern you too, is not the rental. Until this happened, I genuinely loved the Air. I often said that it was the best car I ever had. I drove like a 911 and was smooth as a Class S. I was seriously considering buying it when the lease ends.
Now I'm asking myself a different question.
What happens if the car develops a problem another 18 months from now? Will the service infrastructure still be this constrained? Will there be any service infrastructure?
I'm not posting this to bash Lucid. I think the Air is an extraordinary car. I am posting because suddenly having a warning appear, having the car towed away, and then being told to expect seven weeks in a service queue has changed how I think about ownership.
I'd really like to hear from other owners:
Have you experienced waits like this?
How well has Lucid handled serious repairs for you?
Have service times been getting better or worse?
And perhaps most importantly, does Lucid's current service network give you confidence about owning an Air or Gravity beyond the warranty period?
I've had the car about 18 months and have approximately 16,000 miles on it. On September 30, a warning suddenly appeared while I was driving. I called Lucid immediately, they arranged a tow - which by the way arrived 26 hours later - and the car was taken to the Beverly Hills Service Center the following day.
Lucid Beverly Hills has now told me in writing:
“Hello [...], at this time your Air is checked in and in our service queue. As mentioned on Thursday when the vehicle arrived via tow, we are anticipating a service time of about 7 weeks.”
Seven weeks!
I called Customer Care and the representative was very understanding. During our conversation, she suggested that the Beverly Hills service operation may have only one or two people handling service, which could explain the delay. I don't know the actual staffing level, so I don't want to state that as fact, but it raised a larger concern for me.
Lucid is paying for an Enterprise rental, which I appreciate. Enterprise initially offered me a Porsche Panamera, but insisted in selling me insurance for $95 per day. Lucid representative had initially told me that they would cover the insurance. Once at Enterprise, that wasn't true anymore. $95 per day x 7 weeks is real money. It turns out that my own insurance would have covered that, but because of Lucid's initial representation, I had not checked. I have ended up with a Genesis G70 with about 46,000 miles, while paying the lease on a $95k car.
They say that they will switch me to a Lucid 'if' one becomes available, but I will believe that when I see it.
The most concerning, and it should concern you too, is not the rental. Until this happened, I genuinely loved the Air. I often said that it was the best car I ever had. I drove like a 911 and was smooth as a Class S. I was seriously considering buying it when the lease ends.
Now I'm asking myself a different question.
What happens if the car develops a problem another 18 months from now? Will the service infrastructure still be this constrained? Will there be any service infrastructure?
I'm not posting this to bash Lucid. I think the Air is an extraordinary car. I am posting because suddenly having a warning appear, having the car towed away, and then being told to expect seven weeks in a service queue has changed how I think about ownership.
I'd really like to hear from other owners:
Have you experienced waits like this?
How well has Lucid handled serious repairs for you?
Have service times been getting better or worse?
And perhaps most importantly, does Lucid's current service network give you confidence about owning an Air or Gravity beyond the warranty period?