Jumper Cables?

Hammerthyme

Active Member

Joined
Jan 16, 2026
Messages
268
Reaction score
437
Cars
Lucid Gravity
When we were moving items from our old ICE car to the new Gravity I left the jumper cables behind as being "no longer necessary". But I now know there is a completely separate 12V system in the Gravity. This morning my sister-in-law needed a jump start on her ICE car. So... does it make sense to carry a set of jumper cables? How would you jump start someone else? (I'm not even sure where the battery connectors are.} Or would you ever need to get a 12V assist from someone else?
 
Never attempt to jump start an ICE vehicle from an EV, even though it may be technically possible. You may damage your EV. A good read is can-you-jump-start-an-electric-car-heres-what-you-can-and-cant-do.

Personally, I wouldn’t even try to receive 12V power and risk damage. If your EV gets to that state, it’s time to take it into service.
 
Thanks, guys. I had a battery box like Buffalo Bob recommended in my camper, but it was based on AGM cells and has crapped out after 5 years or so of storage. Just ordered a lithium polymer based replacement, which should have better shelf life. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M41FX48)

I appreciate the article, Saksak. Truth is, I'd probably use Lucid's roadside assistance if the Gravity had a dead 12v like that.

In the end, I used my diesel pickup and an old pair of jumper cables to get the sister-in-law started. Half a day and $200+ later she's got a new battery. One more thing I don't miss about owning and maintaining ICE vehicles.
 
Lucid recommends changing the 12V batteries much more frequently than I've ever needed with ICE vehicles.
 
I saw they had it on the maintenance schedule to replace the 12v battery at year 4.
 
I saw they had it on the maintenance schedule to replace the 12v battery at year 4.
Thx - did the same thing, proactively on my Tesla Model Y. Tesla maintenance did it in my driveway at no cost.
Even if we need to pay for it, it's inexpensive insurance to get it done before it fails.
 
Lucid recommends changing the 12V batteries much more frequently than I've ever needed with ICE vehicles.
ICE vehicles recommend similar numbers - we just never follow it. I don’t know about others, but I tended to wait until I was forced to buy a new battery via warning signs (sluggish cranking), routine battery test during oil change or other routine maintenance, or, more than once, when my car wouldn’t start 🤣.
I saw they had it on the maintenance schedule to replace the 12v battery at year 4.
This is probably from the battery manufacturer and would be the same number for EV and ICE. I wonder, though, if the batteries will actually last longer since the EV battery acts like a battery maintainer, keeping the 12V topped off. 12V batteries like to stay full and degrades faster if kept at low charge (short trips in ICE cars where the alternator doesn’t get a change to fully charge the battery or when the car sits for months without being driven.) Still, probably best to stick with the preventative maintenance schedule: one service trip every 4 years minus the oil changes…if I can remember.
 
Last edited:
My web search said Lucid was using an LFP, lithium iron phosphate, battery for their 12v system.
 
I haven't seen anyone even attempt to pry off the frunk panels to get to the 12v batteries yet (there's 2 of them according to the owners manual). Hopefully the fact that there's 2 means one backs the other up, greatly reducing the odds of getting stranded from one dying.
 
I haven't seen anyone even attempt to pry off the frunk panels to get to the 12v batteries yet (there's 2 of them according to the owners manual). Hopefully the fact that there's 2 means one backs the other up, greatly reducing the odds of getting stranded from one dying.

I don't know about the Gravity, but on the Air, you can access the 12v external power terminals behind the wheel liner aft of the rear passenger tire. See the image below...

1770574338080.webp
 
Back
Top