Jon Rettinger's 6 Month Review

DJL

Verified Owner
Jon Rettinger just posted his 6 month review of his Lucid Air Dream Edition. Overall, he is please with the car except for a door handle trim piece that is all scratched up and, of course, the software. His spends most of his time trashing the software so I hope Lucid pays careful attention to this and places an even higher priority in refining it. To watch the video, just click HERE

Very balanced review with a very honest assessment of the software. I do hope by the time I get my Pure most of the bugs will be worked through. Software is clearly the weak spot of the Lucid to the point that it tarnishes the experience. I hope that is resolved soon for all current owners and future buyers . They must have the software solidly functional before they scale up as when you move past the early adopters to the normal consumer there will be less tolerance for the bugs and the opinion that the car does't work well will become the reputation of the company and that will be hard to shake .

Jon Rettinger just posted his 6 month review of his Lucid Air Dream Edition. Overall, he is please with the car except for a door handle trim piece that is all scratched up and, of course, the software. His spends most of his time trashing the software so I hope Lucid pays careful attention to this and places an even higher priority in refining it. To watch the video, just click HERE
It’s funny I feel bad for him, my car works better than his. Boot time is 21 seconds (still too slow but better than his 45), cameras always work, just the 360 camera is slower than it should be. My Alexa seems to work better than his also.

Oh and also my turn signal camera has worked 100% if the time. I wonder if his car has some issue with the video feed processing in general given the issues with the backup and 360 cameras also.

It’s too bad he filmed it before 1.2.6 or at least I get that impression as he refers to another update after filming that improved the navigation system .

It’s too bad he filmed it before 1.2.6 or at least I get that impression as he refers to another update after filming that improved the navigation system .
It didnt seem like most of his complaints were nav based?

Honestly, once in a while my turn signal doesn’t activate the camera and I have no clue why. It’s not common, but have noticed it I think since 1.2.6 🤷‍♂️

At some point Lucid will not be given the excuse “well they are a new car company.” Cars need to be built timely and properly and the software needs to work. Some, including me, say this point is near or has passed and our tolerance is waning. We had the 1-year anniversary (at the beginning of this month) of Lucid announcing that they were beginning production of “release candidates.” That was to “work out the kinks” before customer car production would start that fall. I still have my old emails from my SA on how my car’s delivery is getting closer (One of many). I remember Peter saying ot us early reservation holders that production hell is because they did not plan very well. We won’t have that because we learned from Tesla’s mistakes. Yup. Right. Got it.

As others have said, they need to fix this stuff fast. and the “new car company” excuse is not going to work for much longer.

I really think you guys should post more about how dissatisfied and disappointed you are with the car. In your opinion do you think the Kia or Leaf is better or are both better? I mean yeah the Lucid charges 10x faster has more than double the range, looks better, is faster, has better storage space, is more comfortable, has better audio, drives better, etc, but Lucid has some software glitches they’re working on and is taking longer than expected to deliver vehicles so they better get their act together!!!!!!

I really think you guys should post more about how dissatisfied and disappointed you are with the car. In your opinion do you think the Kia or Leaf is better or are both better? I mean yeah the Lucid charges 10x faster has more than double the range, looks better, is faster, has better storage space, is more comfortable, has better audio, drives better, etc, but Lucid has some software glitches they’re working on and is taking longer than expected to deliver vehicles so they better get their act together!!!!!!
This is mostly fair but we need to remember that we have a big advantage over people still waiting for their cars. Owners are unlikely to encounter any communication issues and can go for a drive anytime. I have had my share of small issues, but an hour long drive in this car puts it all in perspective. The car is just awesome to drive. I think Jon said that in his review also. I just returned from one of those amazing drives where everything, including Tidal, worked perfectly.

I don’t even have my car yet and already scoffing at this. It’s one thing to not have adv auto pilot ready but another to basics like backup and turn cameras not working. This is quite disappointing and Jon IMO let them off pretty easy. Cautiously optimistic.

This is mostly fair but we need to remember that we have a big advantage over people still waiting for their cars. Owners are unlikely to encounter any communication issues and can go for a drive anytime. I have had my share of small issues, but an hour long drive in this car puts it all in perspective. The car is just awesome to drive. I think Jon said that in his review also. I just returned from one of those amazing drives where everything, including Tidal, worked perfectly.
You’re right, I’m being harsh, it’s just that the complaints are relentless.

Here was my experience today: decided to drive to Audrain auto museum in Newport where they had an Edsel Citaiton convertible and an original Plymouth SuperBee with the steel spoiler (not fiberglass) making it super rare. On the drive there I had one problem, the next track button on the wheel stopped working briefly so I had to use the screen instead, then it worked again. That’s all. Everything worked, just like it usually does for me. On the way back I also got challenged by a Lambo Aventador SVJ that pulled up beside me at 75mph. Before he had a chance I hit 120mph, and he came up beside me after I’d come to my senses and slowed down and we both laughed. It does suck for some people who have fallen into the delay pit, but the car really isn’t nearly as bad as the posts seem to project. The car is great.

You go , Bunny!

Lucid has far more than a few software glitches. The ONLY reason that I have kept my DE is the range, 100 miles more than my wife's AMG EQS, and 400 more HP. The iX and AMG EQS are FAR better cars in every other aspect that matters to me. Can Lucid fix their problems, I hope so. but I think that it will be the end of this year or early next year.

Sounds a Great vehicle, range, range and more range, fast charging, spacious and luxurious. Great driving car. All things that made me reserve it 15 months ago and confirm the order 8 months ago. It’s all about the range. Someday they will make it.

Sounds a Great vehicle, range, range and more range, fast charging, spacious and luxurious. Great driving car. All things that made me reserve it 15 months ago and confirm the order 8 months ago. It’s all about the range. Someday they will make it.
Yeah sorry man, you did win the bad luck lottery with yours and it sounds like they haven’t done enough to sort it out.

It’s really all statistical variance. I think there are more satisfied buyers who just don’t bother to open forum account (probably too busy in real world endeavors) than dissatisfied buyers who seek and came to forum looking for answers to their issues. Good merits tend to be taken granted at this price point and bad merits get ultra-magnified. Therefore, we tend to see more negative than positive. I feel fortunate I don’t have many major issues like some posted in this forum and I don’t have expectation from MB EQS since I never test drive one. My only reference point is that I drove several models of Tesla, but never actually owned one. I saw the very early Model-S infotainment, so Lucid software give me hope for its debut year.

Lucid has far more than a few software glitches. The ONLY reason that I have kept my DE is the range, 100 miles more than my wife's AMG EQS, and 400 more HP. The iX and AMG EQS are FAR better cars in every other aspect that matters to me. Can Lucid fix their problems, I hope so. but I think that it will be the end of this year or early next year.
I’m wondering if the DE has a more trouble prone processor or there’s some major difference in the modules, because it does sound like the DE software failures are more common and bigger than Grand Touring.

I’m wondering if the DE has a more trouble prone processor or there’s some major difference in the modules, because it does sound like the DE software failures are more common and bigger than Grand Touring.
its certainly probable they made (and continue to make) hardware changes, both due to supply chain issues and due to QC problems in the original hardware..

Back