Inflating tires

BJR

Cars
Air GT, Audi RS4
My tire pressure sensor is very sensitive. I went to check it to see if I needed air. I assume (bad word) you are supposed to pull the insert out, but I could not figure out how to do it with out excessive force (nothing in the manual). As the tire stem is set deep into a little hole ( the engineer must not have tried to unscrew the cap) I had to get out a pair of needlenose pliers, turn and remove the cap, add a stem extender and was able to do the maintenance. I wish there was a "socket wrench" for tire stem caps.

My tire pressure sensor is very sensitive. I went to check it to see if I needed air. I assume (bad word) you are supposed to pull the insert out, but I could not figure out how to do it with out excessive force (nothing in the manual). As the tire stem is set deep into a little hole ( the engineer must not have tried to unscrew the cap) I had to get out a pair of needlenose pliers, turn and remove the cap, add a stem extender and was able to do the maintenance. I wish there was a "socket wrench" for tire stem caps.
You do have to just pull on it. Pull out the spokes then the center.

Attachments

• 290E0401-A661-486E-8B86-C43E03FE3318.jpeg
    290E0401-A661-486E-8B86-C43E03FE3318.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
Costco recommends 4psi more than rated when the tire is warm. Is that a good idea for lucid? Lexus ls 430 had a good ride and better fuel economy when I tried.

Costco recommends 4psi more than rated when the tire is warm. Is that a good idea for lucid? Lexus ls 430 had a good ride and better fuel economy when I tried.
That's actually just how tires work; you want to inflate them to the proper PSI when cold, but when warm they will increase in pressure (roughly by about 4 PSI). If you were to inflate the tires when warm (which you shouldn't do), you'd want to overinflate by about 4 PSI so that when cold they were at the proper PSI (and you should check them when cold anyway).

I keep mine in between 41~45 PSI monitoring them from TPMS.

That's actually just how tires work; you want to inflate them to the proper PSI when cold, but when warm they will increase in pressure (roughly by about 4 PSI). If you were to inflate the tires when warm (which you shouldn't do), you'd want to overinflate by about 4 PSI so that when cold they were at the proper PSI (and you should check them when cold anyway).
Good to know that what Costco recommended was the right thing to do. It takes more time with 12V air compressor to inflate in the garage even though it is digital with set auto shut off. Costco inflation is very quick.

Any idea how to correct a tire pressure monitor that is off? My right front wheel always shows 2-3psi lower than others despite me filling them all the same. Its too slow to be a real leak but trying to figure out what's going on.

Any idea how to correct a tire pressure monitor that is off? My right front wheel always shows 2-3psi lower than others despite me filling them all the same. Its too slow to be a real leak but trying to figure out what's going on.
We have the same issue, I had to fill up twice.

If it is continually off, talk to service and they can replace or recalibrate the TPMs.

Just checked my pressures in the newly installed Sotto Zero winter tires. They were not at 49 psi so I used my Air Man 12V inflator with the cord extension so that I could easily reach my left front tire. I use a digital pressure gauge so have one-tenth psi increments of pressure and can bleed easily to the desired pressure. The inflator pump worked like a charm. The reason that I am posting this is that in the past portable 12v inflators have been weak and I would not depend on them. The one I have has surprisingly strong inflation and has an accurate gauge although I depend on my digital gauge. The threaded fixture on the inflator tubing works easily and well so no fumbling with trying to keep the fixture on the stem.

Had the car at the new Natick service center last week and the amazing service manager checked the pressure which I had not done in my nearly two months of ownership. They were all down 3-4 psi, which is probably why I started to get 2.9-3.1 mi./kWh compared to the 3.5 I got in the 3300 miles since new. It has gotten colder since early Oct so no surprise that pressure was lower than spec.

Just checked my pressures in the newly installed Sotto Zero winter tires. They were not at 49 psi so I used my Air Man 12V inflator with the cord extension so that I could easily reach my left front tire. I use a digital pressure gauge so have one-tenth psi increments of pressure and can bleed easily to the desired pressure. The inflator pump worked like a charm. The reason that I am posting this is that in the past portable 12v inflators have been weak and I would not depend on them. The one I have has surprisingly strong inflation and has an accurate gauge although I depend on my digital gauge. The threaded fixture on the inflator tubing works easily and well so no fumbling with trying to keep the fixture on the stem.

Had the car at the new Natick service center last week and the amazing service manager checked the pressure which I had not done in my nearly two months of ownership. They were all down 3-4 psi, which is probably why I started to get 2.9-3.1 mi./kWh compared to the 3.5 I got in the 3300 miles since new. It has gotten colder since early Oct so no surprise that pressure was lower than spec.
Yeah my Ryobi battery powered inflator seems to be inaccurate in the winter, it’s reading 50PSI cold and the car says 46-47, which I confirmed with a cheap pressure meter. What’s the digital gauge you use? My efficiency has been disappointing at 25 degrees but my tires have definitely been underinflated. And Natick is open now? That’s great, I’ll be due for the 12k mile service very soon so I’ll have them double check the TPMS but I think it’s probably correct.

Yeah my Ryobi battery powered inflator seems to be inaccurate in the winter, it’s reading 50PSI cold and the car says 46-47, which I confirmed with a cheap pressure meter. What’s the digital gauge you use? My efficiency has been disappointing at 25 degrees but my tires have definitely been underinflated. And Natick is open now? That’s great, I’ll be due for the 12k mile service very soon so I’ll have them double check the TPMS but I think it’s probably correct.
That’s the first mention I’ve seen of a 12K mile service. Do they charge for that and can it be done by mobile?

That’s the first mention I’ve seen of a 12K mile service. Do they charge for that and can it be done by mobile?
Yeah I think it’s about $300? Cheaper than Mercedes 10k mile service. You have to bring it in.

A very thorough multi-point inspection, replace cabin air filter, rotate and balance tires, replace wiper blades, fob batteries and a road test.

Attachments

• IMG_3831.JPG
    IMG_3831.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
Back