If you have mobile key and the card in your wallet …

Rhinoww

Member

Joined
Jun 9, 2026
Messages
29
Reaction score
25
If you have the mobile key and the card in your wallet to you also carry the fob? If so what is the benefit other than valet?

Asked another way, do you find the mobile key reliable?
 
If you have the mobile key and the card in your wallet to you also carry the fob? If so what is the benefit other than valet?

Asked another way, do you find the mobile key reliable?
In my Air, I do find the fob to be much more reliable.

Plus, I still haven't figured out how to get the key card to work for "valet" (or even the tire shop) to let someone be able to drive without a PIN, so I find it easier to just have the fob with me.
 
Does anyone keep a fob in the glovebox in faraday bag?
.why?
You need a key to open the glove box as you need to get into the screen with that option. There’s no physical button as far as I am aware
 
Does anyone keep a fob in the glovebox in faraday bag?
Why would you want to do this?
Assuming you are speaking of the Air rather than Gravity - for me, the phone worked often enough that I was willing to put up with frequent glitches for the convenience. This will depend on your phone model, OS version, etc.
But the fob was close to 100% reliable. Once in a while, the car would not automatically present the door handle, and I had to lift the handle to wake the car.
 
Why would you want to do this?
Assuming you are speaking of the Air rather than Gravity - for me, the phone worked often enough that I was willing to put up with frequent glitches for the convenience. This will depend on your phone model, OS version, etc.
But the fob was close to 100% reliable. Once in a while, the car would not automatically present the door handle, and I had to lift the handle to wake the car.
Redundancy and a backup for valet
 
.why?
You need a key to open the glove box as you need to get into the screen with that option. There’s no physical button as far as I am aware
I assigned the glovebox opening to the customizable function button on the right. Works nicely when without a fob as I recall.
 
Easy solution - never valet. 🤣
Generally a good idea. That said, and while it's not super common, I have on occasion did myself at a restaurant or occasion where valet was the only option. I hate it but it has happened.
 
I just use the Fob and have had no difficulties.. No chance I would ever use my phone as a key even if it were reliable. Card in my wallet.
 
When I used mobile key I did carry all three for about a month after I got the car, until I felt I could trust the mobile key enough to leave the fob behind.

In my experience, the mobile key is reliable in that it will eventually give you access to your vehicle, but not immediately upon command in many instances.

Always have the card handy - a) it's easy to carry around b) your phone's software is another liability to contend with
 
When I had my Air, once I committed to mobile key, I stopped carrying the fob altogether. Never got stranded once. Always kept the card in my wallet for emergencies. Like if my phone died or was stolen. Same when I carried the fob.

My Air's mobile key was pretty reliable. At most, I had to wait a few extra seconds for it to open up.

The Gravity fob has my car open before I reach it, pretty much 100% of the time. Still looking forward to Apple Car Key, though. That will be even better.
 
Two years with my Air Touring and I've never carried the fob, ever, just PAAK (IOS) and key card in wallet as backup. Reliable? As far as unlocking and driving away it's been 100% reliable. Never had to use the key card, not once. Yes, there is a few second delay sometimes, but it's never never a significant issue. Rarely, I'll have to make sure my phone "wakes" up.

Since my phone is often in range of my car when It's in the garage, I often have to press the door handle to open since it gets tired of locking/unlocking, not optimal but you get used to it (if they ever switch to UWB that would likely fix this scenario) - and that has always worked . Perfect? Nope, but for me it beats having to carry anything but my wallet and phone.

I'll amend the "never" statement to two specific scenarios. If I go to the touch-less car wash near me, I'll take the fob and put it the driver's door storage so I can have my phone while I wait for the wash (I've also left the phone in the car when I forgot to take the fob with me). Also, if traveling and using hotels, I'll take the fob to make it easier on everyone for valet parking.

Small sample size so far, but recently upgraded to iPhone 18 pro and it seems more responsive. Not perfect, but better. No idea if this will continue or is just an artifact of having re-setup phone/car connection with the new device.

I realize not everyone has had the same experience.
 
Last edited:
I’ve never been let down by PAAK. I carried a fob for two months with a loaner and it annoyed me. Sure it was slightly quicker and having a frunk button meant I used the frunk more, but didn’t find it worth it.

I guess you could stash the card in the car somewhere? There’s a few good hiding spots in the car I won’t name, because then they’re not good hiding spots.
 
Back
Top