HW Assist or cameras very unreliable in winter

Volund

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Anyone in snow states feel this yet?
My HW Assist, rear camera and front cameras are basically almost always blocked driving in snow or winter weather. During my road trip, I had to stop every hour and wipe off the cameras and the LIDAR sensor.

I've never owned a Tesla, is this just a common thing you have to deal with in the winter? Or is this a Lucid thing due to camera and sensor placement?

Anyone in snow states feel this yet?
My HW Assist, rear camera and front cameras are basically almost always blocked driving in snow or winter weather. During my road trip, I had to stop every hour and wipe off the cameras and the LIDAR sensor.

I've never owned a Tesla, is this just a common thing you have to deal with in the winter? Or is this a Lucid thing due to camera and sensor placement?
True on Teslas too. Can’t beat physics. LiDAR is helpful though, and I’m sure will assist in the future.

This is why I laugh in people's faces when they tell me "in a few years, cars won't even have steering wheels."

Almost always someone living in a part of California where it rains twice a year, and snow is a thing they heard of once.

Try turning on the defroster . The camera has a defrosting strip running across which clears it up. Happened to me once but cleared after doing the defrost
This is super helpful info, I will try this!

This is why I laugh in people's faces when they tell me "in a few years, cars won't even have steering wheels."

Almost always someone living in a part of California where it rains twice a year, and snow is a thing they heard of once.
And I’ll be laughing while I use my joystick to drive in a few years ;);)

I remember a show back in the 90's called "Beyond 2000" (early hosting gig for Soledad Obrien) where they showed a Volvo prototype with a joystick type steering thing in the middle of the car. It was like the handle of a shovel you would twist left or right to turn the car. I always thought it was pretty awesome, but never made it to market.

True on Teslas too. Can’t beat physics. LiDAR is helpful though, and I’m sure will assist in the future.
Adaptive cruise control in my 2005 Sienna does not work in heavy rain or if there is direct sunlight hitting it. In any case in extreme weather we really do not want to use highway assist or ACC.

I saw a prototype car from a major manufacturer in 1965 showing joystick-like steering, and also hands-free driving (the car had sensors following an electric signal cable buried in the pavement, clever but not scalable / maintainable). Cool, though. For the accelerator and braking, you pushed the stick forward or pulled back. For turns, left and right. And it had radar sensing for the distance to the car in front of you ... a prod built into the joystick would push out on the braking side of the stick if you were getting close, suggesting that you pull back on the stick to slow down and avoid the prod.

This is super helpful info, I will try this!
My front camera can’t handle any significant fog. And turning on the defroster as suggested is ineffective at solving the problem. And the comment about driving directly into a sunrise is also true for my forward camera. Shuts down right when I am struggling to see myself, adjusting the sun visor, pulling down the brim of my ball cap etc.

My front camera can’t handle any significant fog. And turning on the defroster as suggested is ineffective at solving the problem. And the comment about driving directly into a sunrise is also true for my forward camera. Shuts down right when I am struggling to see myself, adjusting the sun visor, pulling down the brim of my ball cap etc.
I noticed it wasn't the front defroster but the rear (I think, will have to test again)
But try the both to be sure, but it did work for me on my last drive, but it wasn't as bad as my first scenario for sure

Back