I apologize for seeming to hold back the steps I used as I figured many of you had already solved this problem. I tried for several months to turn the car off while inside and was unsuccessful. Today I tried something else. I dropped the wife at the doctors office and parked in the lot waiting for her. I put the car in park, opened the door, remained seated inside the car, turned Bluetooth off my iPhone while the door was open, and then closed the door while in the driver's seat. The car immediately locked, mirrors folded, and the car turned off. When the wife came out I turned bluetooth back on and the car woke up. I had to open and shut the door for the dash to light up.
The car performed normally. One concern - if you do the above, take care not to open the door or do much of anything else until bluetooth is back on as it appears the car is in locked and alarm mode so doing anything major may be detected as a break in the alarm may go off. Doing the steps above did not trip any alarms but I was fearful I might set it off.