How to assess condition of pre-owned Lucids

waymilky

I am exploring purchase of a pre-owned Lucid. I've read that type of charging effects life and condition of battery. Is it possible to assess battery condition? Are there other factors I need to look into before purchasing a Lucid?

I am exploring purchase of a pre-owned Lucid. I've read that type of charging effects life and condition of battery. Is it possible to assess battery condition? Are there other factors I need to look into before purchasing a Lucid?
Some people here exclusively use DC fast chargers, which is the worst for the battery, and they haven’t experienced significantly worse degradation than the rest of us. You may be able to ask Lucid to check on the health data for the VIN, I know they are able to, but honestly not sure if they will do it for you. I wouldn’t worry about it though. Either way you will want to talk to Lucid when buying to have them change ownership on their end, give you access via the mobile app, etc.

Aside from all the usual car stuff, feel for tire bubbles (run your hand along the side wall of the tires feeling for lumps). Make sure you get all the keys (2 fobs, 2 cards). Can’t think of anything else special.

The current owner can login into testmycode.cc and enter his Lucid credentials. One of the metrics that will be visible is the current maximum battery charge, i.e. what is left after degradation. Mine, for example, is 105.12999765016139... down about 6% from 112kW after 25k miles and 1 3/4 years (about 15% DCFC and the rest at home).

The current owner can login into testmycode.cc and enter his Lucid credentials. One of the metrics that will be visible is the current maximum battery charge, i.e. what is left after degradation. Mine, for example, is 105.12999765016139... down about 6% from 112kW after 25k miles and 1 3/4 years (about 15% DCFC and the rest at home).
Is that the capacity_kwhr number? If it is, mine is very similar to yours - 105.0299976 with only 20K miles. I've reversed the charging, probably 15% at home, the rest DCFC. I guess it makes a difference.

Hi Bobby, I just check my battery and it is 103.67997.... I have just under 3,500 miles and the car is 5 1/2 months old. I used the CA 100% of time to charge because I have 2 free years of charging. Do you think my battery is low for the miles and time?

Thanks, Marty

Hi Bobby, I just check my battery and it is 103.67997.... I have just under 3,500 miles and the car is 5 1/2 months old. I used the CA 100% of time to charge because I have 2 free years of charging. Do you think my battery is low for the miles and time?

Thanks, Marty
DC fast charging degrades your battery much faster.

Thanks, Marty
My battery is at 103 also, I rarely fast charge but the heat in Phoenix takes a toll. I would not worry, most degradation takes place early.

I should clarify how I use the EA charger. It is 150kW charger and I charge between 50% to 80% once a week and it charges at a rate of 80 to 102kW, does this make a difference on the battery life?
Why would Lucid give 2 and 3 years of free charging if it would degrade the batteries?

Thanks for your help, Marty

I should clarify how I use the EA charger. It is 150kW charger and I charge between 50% to 80% once a week and it charges at a rate of 80 to 102kW, does this make a difference on the battery life?
Why would Lucid give 2 and 3 years of free charging if it would degrade the batteries?

Thanks for your help, Marty
Batteries degrade continuously, no matter what you do. It is true fast charging will degrade it somewhat faster, but by and large, your’re going to lose between 5 and 10 percent your first year, and then some smaller amount every year after. The first year is definitely the worst.

Lucid didn’t give out free fast charging thinking people would use it exclusively. It was there to help folks with “range anxiety” feel more secure about taking the occasional longer road trip. But then a lot of people who, in fairness, had the extra time on their hands decided free is free and just used fast charging all the time.

I don’t think it’s anything to worry about if you are doing that. Just don’t run your battery down to zero and charge back up to 100 over and over again, and you’ll be fine. It’s not going to be a huge difference otherwise.

I live in Phoenix, took delivery in December 2022, have just over 10,000 miles, and only instances of fast charging were during a roundtrip to Denver. My current capacity is 84.95, down 7.66%.

I did not know about that site thanks Bobby.

Here are my metrics for general comparison for folks.

2023 Touring 7000 miles and I'm at 87.09 capacity. I generally charge at home keeping the battery around 67% full. I only use DC fast charging on longer road trips.

I live in Phoenix, took delivery in December 2022, have just over 10,000 miles, and only instances of fast charging were during a roundtrip to Denver. My current capacity is 84.95, down 7.66%.
It’s the heat, mine is similar. Fortunately most of the degradation occurs in the first year.

Back