- Joined
- Aug 7, 2024
- Messages
- 666
- Reaction score
- 1,084
- Cars
- S75D, Gravity DE
Any recommendations or suggestions for a slightly tricky situation?
We're under contract on a new vacation home on the water at the beach. It's a condo townhome so going with a NEMA 14-50 outlet is my huge preference - anything else needs to go through HOA approval which may get tricky. And a NEMA outlet is easy to secure with a simple locking weather box, so nobody steals my charge (or even notices an unattended charger if I'm not there). I also have a relatively long run from the closest corner of the house to my designated parking spot - looks like about 17 feet in a straight line, depending on exactly how far I can back up. So the Gravity's own mobile charging cord seems a bit tight. I think they recommend 14 feet, even though the cord itself is 21.
It looks like there are some solid looking EVSEs (Grizzle-E, EVDance, IYILO, others) with plug-in connections and 25 foot cords that would fit the bill. They are "portable" enough that I can just unplug them and put them back in the house when I'm not around to secure the power.
I don't need massive power. This will probably be used to top my battery up on arrival and maybe once more on a typical 3-day long weekend during shoulder seasons, and maybe a couple times for weeks we might spend down there on vacation. So 40A charging is more than sufficient - honestly even 30A is probably fine.
Any specific brands or equipment to keep in mind and/or avoid? I want safety above all, and a 25 foot cord is a must. I like the look of the EVDance and the way it hangs down from the outlet without needing too much support - my space to mount anything is tight, and I may just let something hang or mount temporarily in a bracket on the wall. Some additional controls/data are nice to haves, but probably not necessary.
We're under contract on a new vacation home on the water at the beach. It's a condo townhome so going with a NEMA 14-50 outlet is my huge preference - anything else needs to go through HOA approval which may get tricky. And a NEMA outlet is easy to secure with a simple locking weather box, so nobody steals my charge (or even notices an unattended charger if I'm not there). I also have a relatively long run from the closest corner of the house to my designated parking spot - looks like about 17 feet in a straight line, depending on exactly how far I can back up. So the Gravity's own mobile charging cord seems a bit tight. I think they recommend 14 feet, even though the cord itself is 21.
It looks like there are some solid looking EVSEs (Grizzle-E, EVDance, IYILO, others) with plug-in connections and 25 foot cords that would fit the bill. They are "portable" enough that I can just unplug them and put them back in the house when I'm not around to secure the power.
I don't need massive power. This will probably be used to top my battery up on arrival and maybe once more on a typical 3-day long weekend during shoulder seasons, and maybe a couple times for weeks we might spend down there on vacation. So 40A charging is more than sufficient - honestly even 30A is probably fine.
Any specific brands or equipment to keep in mind and/or avoid? I want safety above all, and a 25 foot cord is a must. I like the look of the EVDance and the way it hangs down from the outlet without needing too much support - my space to mount anything is tight, and I may just let something hang or mount temporarily in a bracket on the wall. Some additional controls/data are nice to haves, but probably not necessary.