Has anyone tried to fit a guitar case in the trunk or frunk?

ChipEdwards

Verified Owner
Cars
2023 Lucid Air Touring
Okay.....I was preparing for my first road trip in my Air Touring (other than the 300 mile pick-up milage from the Chicago facility) and I discovered a relatively small acoustic guitar will not fit in the frunk and only fits in the widest portion of the trunk rendering the rest unusable. This isn't a deal breaker but I was disappointed. I have to pick up others 300 miles into the trip and I don't think the puzzle pieces will go together. It seems to me that the Air has a lot of room for small pieces but is hinky for odd size/shape pieces. I guess that's why SUV's are so popular.

I still love this car but it is hard for me to find a conflict with my biggest love (other than my Wife who fits nicely). My guitar.

Heads up

I think that this is a fairly standard trunk limitation - the hatch back and rear storage flexibility is the feature I miss most from my Model S. That said, the Lucid frunk is infinitely better than the one on the Model S. Also, stuff in the trunk is a lot more secure than in the back hatch of a Tesla.

You don’t really want to leave a nice acoustic in a hot (or cold!) trunk anyway - just travel with it in the back seat and bring it inside with you at your destination! ;-)

Okay.....I was preparing for my first road trip in my Air Touring (other than the 300 mile pick-up milage from the Chicago facility) and I discovered a relatively small acoustic guitar will not fit in the frunk and only fits in the widest portion of the trunk rendering the rest unusable. This isn't a deal breaker but I was disappointed. I have to pick up others 300 miles into the trip and I don't think the puzzle pieces will go together. It seems to me that the Air has a lot of room for small pieces but is hinky for odd size/shape pieces. I guess that's why SUV's are so popular.

I still love this car but it is hard for me to find a conflict with my biggest love (other than my Wife who fits nicely). My guitar.

Heads up
“Don’t think they had acoustic guitars in mind when they designed her, Chewie.”

The Air has the largest frunk in the industry. It’s more than double the size of any Tesla Frunk. And let’s not get started with traditional auto makers who don’t even provide a frunk.

The fact that I can fit my electric bass guitar in its hard case into the trunk completely horizontally still amazes me. Heck, I even fit a friend’s snowboard bag in there this past winter, while two carry on bags, two backpacks, and a laptop bag all fit easily in the frunk. And there was still leftover room behind the snowboard bag for a few other bags if I had needed it.

I agree the geometry is a bit odd compared to other cars, but if you get creative, you can fit more in the two cargo areas of the Air than many SUVs on the market.

Sucks about your acoustic, though. I agree with whoever said putting it in the frunk would probably not be a great idea, anyway. It gets hot/cold in there.

Heads up
Test drive?

You've probably already figured this but you can fold down the smaller side of the back seat and possibly put the neck through the pass-through if you have 4 passengers. Just guessing because I haven't put mine in the car yet

I was able to fit my large-ish acoustic guitar case into the car without any problems at all- main luggage went into the frunk, and the guitar fit easily into the trunk (even without opening the lower level. I guess that I could have folded down half of the rear seat to slide it further in, but it was really a non-issue. Took a 1,300 mile road trip with 2 passengers, my guitar, luggage, a baby bass, and an amp, and it really wasn't an issue at all.

I think that this is a fairly standard trunk limitation - the hatch back and rear storage flexibility is the feature I miss most from my Model S. That said, the Lucid frunk is infinitely better than the one on the Model S. Also, stuff in the trunk is a lot more secure than in the back hatch of a Tesla.

I had an electrified Genesis G80 as a loaner for about a month and while the car drove fine, the trunk was tiny. I think the G80 is designed for and drives as a grand tourer but the lack of storage negates that. So...yes...it does seem fairly standard. The G80 is about the same size as the Lucid but the trunk storage on the Lucid is way, way greater than on the Electrified G80. Other than a hatchback/crossover/SUV/minivan I don't think one would find better storage than in the Lucid.

I thought you could flip down the rear seats for lucid.
You can. There is tons of space. I fit my acoustic in the trunk with no issue (though I don’t generally leave it there). You could fit countless ukuleles :p

Of course, if the seats are down, nobody can sit in them, which I think was OP’s issue. He needed to carry people *and* the guitar, which necessitates seats up.

It’s still doable easily (I’ve done it) but because it’s a trunk and not a hatchback, just means playing some Tetris beforehand is good prep.

Lots of space, just gotta be smart with how you use it. :)

My Ibanez Prestige in its hard-case fits on its side with room to spare; I can *almost* but not quite put it in the recessed area, but it's just a tiny bit too big. I can also easily fit my Fender Meteora Bass in a soft case in the recessed area.

Standard Fender electric (deluxe hard shell) case (Strat / Tele) fits perfectly -flat across the rear (upper) trunk without putting the seats down. It's as if they designed the trunk to perfectly fit this guitar case !

Back