Happy 3rd birthday, MYLIL620!

Halodde

Active Member

Verified Owner
Joined
Aug 12, 2022
Messages
1,714
Reaction score
1,660
Location
Buffalo, NY
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Referral Code
BJ2URGEK
1000032562.webp

And buh-bye free EA charging. Do you think I got my money's worth? 🤭

I kinda feel like that guy that gets kicked out of the all you can eat buffet for over indulging lol At some point, maybe I'll go back through my EA history and total up the kWh I put into the car over the last 3 years. Maybe a fun game! Who wants to guess how many kWh I got from EA over the last few years? I do charge at home and hotels as much as possible. But there were plenty of times I had to charge away from home at EA.
 
Curiosity got the best of me this morning and I totaled it up. Over 9k kWh from EA in my first 3 years. Depending on prices, that's anywhere from $4000 to $5700 in electricity. A very nice perk from when I got the car.
 
How much money do you think you would have spent on gas if you put that many miles on an ice vehicle?
 
How much money do you think you would have spent on gas if you put that many miles on an ice vehicle?
That's a good question. But, don't forget that this was just the free charging I got from EA in the first 3 years of ownership. During that time I also charged almost nightly at home. So, my total energy used is MUCH higher than the 9000 kWh I got from EA. But, to answer your question, if my car got 30 mpg and a gallon averaged $3/gallon during the last 3 years (both assumptions obviously), it would have cost about $8600 to drive that far.

So, my guess is that with that much DCFC, it really would have negated much of the savings of an EV over an ICE car. I quickly learned that the costs for DCFC is really at or above the cost of gas in my area. Home charging is really where the savings comes into play. And that is part of my concern going forward. Now that I am not under warranty AND I don't have free DCFC at EA, my cost of ownership is going to be significantly higher to operate and maintain the car. This is especially true in the winter when range/efficiency suffer so greatly.

Just focusing on the energy required to operate the car... If I DCFC in the summer, it will cost about $45 for a full charge and that will get me 350 miles (optimistic average). But, in the winter, the same DCFC session would still cost $45 but I'll only get 225 -250 miles. Since my driving requirements don't decrease in the winter, I'll be spending 40% more on charging in the winter months to cover the same ground. Summer: 7-8 miles/dollar spent on DCFC. Winter: 5-6 miles/dollar spent on DCFC. That's something I didn't consider when investing in an EV. Good thing warmer weather isn't too far away. Not that an extra $150/month will break me. But, added to future repair costs, it could give me reason to consider other options.
 
Back
Top