Gravity Tire Challenge

What I meant was to experiment with the tire repair kit and see if the leak is sealed, while waiting for the mounting tire service.
Could screw up TPMS and end up costing more
 
Could screw up TPMS and end up costing more
I thought the "newer" tire kits would not affect the TPMS.
 
I'm not a fan of staggered tires.
Wondering if there's any mechanical/operational issue if I convert the front into 22' Lucid wheels, making a square config.
 
I'm skeptical that the LM1 stamp is purely marketing. When the engineers at Lucid say that they've spent a lot of time tuning the tires in collaboration with the tire companies, I believe them.

Manufacture-spec tires are a real thing, not just a marketing ploy.

For instance, Porsche has 7 different designations for their specially spec'd tires (N-0 through N-6) as a given tire model moves through subsequent generations. And some of these tires have stiffer sidewalls for the rear tires than for the front tires, even though the tires are the same brand and model. In effect, Porsche actually works with the tire manufacturer to make the tire structure part of the suspension system. And Porsche issues stiff warnings to owners about mixing different N-spec tires on the same axle.

I have no reason to doubt that Lucid pays as much attention to this as Porsche.
 
I'm not a fan of staggered tires.
Wondering if there's any mechanical/operational issue if I convert the front into 22' Lucid wheels, making a square config.

Derek Jenkins (Lucid SVP) once admitted in an interview that the staggered wheel diameters on the Gravity were more a matter of cosmetics than performance. I suspect the staggered widths, though, are a different matter.

Since the Aether wheel option puts 22" wheels on the front of a Gravity, I'm sure they will fit in terms of wheel well and brake clearance. I'm less sure about whether it will throw the offsets out of whack in any significant way, as the Orion and the Aether wheels are different designs.
 
Derek Jenkins (Lucid SVP) once admitted in an interview that the staggered wheel diameters on the Gravity were more a matter of cosmetics than performance. I suspect the staggered widths, though, are a different matter.
At the Gravity delivery event last December, Derek told me that the staggered widths really improved performance and allowed Lucid a better tradeoff between performance and efficiency. He would not comment on the staggered diameters.
 
Derek Jenkins (Lucid SVP) once admitted in an interview that the staggered wheel diameters on the Gravity were more a matter of cosmetics than performance. I suspect the staggered widths, though, are a different matter.

Since the Aether wheel option puts 22" wheels on the front of a Gravity, I'm sure they will fit in terms of wheel well and brake clearance. I'm less sure about whether it will throw the offsets out of whack in any significant way, as the Orion and the Aether wheels are different designs.
This being the case, if I wanted to get a full-size tire, I should go for a 22' for the 21-22' config, sensible?
 
At the Gravity delivery event last December, Derek told me that the staggered widths really improved performance and allowed Lucid a better tradeoff between performance and efficiency. He would not comment on the staggered diameters.
I bet it does on the fronts; less tire width is less aero drag and rolling resistance drag. Especially at highway when the car is mostly FWD. The weight balance is generally 50/50, but the power distribution is more than 60% to the back in the sportier modes. I couldn't find any straight Ultra-High Performance all-seasons that fit the 21/22s, which is where I was going to go after the OEM tires wear out (they are Grand Touring Crossover category in Tirerack).
 
This being the case, if I wanted to get a full-size tire, I should go for a 22' for the 21-22' config, sensible?

I think it would fit. I don't know how much it might affect aerodynamics and range, though. Lucid claims the same range for the Orion and the Aether wheels, which would mean no effect. But no one really believes that, because the wheel sizes, wheel designs, and the tires themselves are so different between the two.
 
A note for those who don't live near Lucid Service Centers:

I found out from this episode with our first Gravity flat that Tire Rack is owned by Discount Tire. Not only is Tire Rack one of the few distributors that keeps all the LM1 tires for the three Gravity wheel options in stock, you can buy them through Discount Tire directly . . . and in many regions Discount Tire has mobile tire vans that will bring the tires to your house and mount them there. Not only are the vans able to handle the largest diameters (which some tire shops cannot), they have the equipment to do roll force balancing if you're a stickler for such things. (The van mounting service is an extra $50.)

On top of that, Discount Tire will sell you a road hazard warranty on the tires that came on your Lucid at delivery, paying for a replacement tire in full at any point during the service life of the damaged tire. As we have had four tire punctures over the past two years near our house due to constant construction, I purchased the warranty for both our Gravities. (It's a little over $500 per car but, given that I'm paying almost $1,000 for this one tire, it seems worth it.)
 
I am running 22” square setup
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8540.webp
    IMG_8540.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 182
I am running 22” square setup
Because of @hmp10's experience with 22/23" tires, I emailed my SA and told him to update my build from 22/23" to 21/22" (Don't like 20/21" wheels at all).

I am going to explore option for wider 21/22" or 22" all-around custom wheels in lieu of wheels spacers.

@037, please share contact details of your wheel manufacturer.
 
Because of @hmp10's experience with 22/23" tires, I emailed my SA and told him to update my build from 22/23" to 21/22" (Don't like 20/21" wheels at all).

I am going to explore option for wider 21/22" or 22" all-around custom wheels in lieu of wheels spacers.

@037, please share contact details of your wheel manufacturer.
My wheels are Forgestar F14s in 22x10 size all around.

I bought the small wheel as I knew I was going to swap out, and if you ever need a winter wheel it’s an easy choice.
 
A note for those who don't live near Lucid Service Centers:

I found out from this episode with our first Gravity flat that Tire Rack is owned by Discount Tire. Not only is Tire Rack one of the few distributors that keeps all the LM1 tires for the three Gravity wheel options in stock, you can buy them through Discount Tire directly . . . and in many regions Discount Tire has mobile tire vans that will bring the tires to your house and mount them there. Not only are the vans able to handle the largest diameters (which some tire shops cannot), they have the equipment to do roll force balancing if you're a stickler for such things. (The van mounting service is an extra $50.)

On top of that, Discount Tire will sell you a road hazard warranty on the tires that came on your Lucid at delivery, paying for a replacement tire in full at any point during the service life of the damaged tire. As we have had four tire punctures over the past two years near our house due to constant construction, I purchased the warranty for both our Gravities. (It's a little over $500 per car but, given that I'm paying almost $1,000 for this one tire, it seems worth it.)
I also went straight to Discount Tire and got their warranty. Money well spent. I have the 20/21's, so cost was in the $300's. We have lots of road/home construction and have a knack for going thru tires with nail/screw punctures as well.
 
Got the new tire put on the Gravity 23" wheel today by a Discount Tire mobile van. The guy has worked on Airs before but not a Gravity. However, he already knew how to put the car into jack mode, something I had forgotten needed to be done. The only hiccough was that the van did not have the equipment to do a roll force balance as I had been told it would. He said that he had the same balancing machine they have in their shop for roll force balancing, but there is not room in the van for the force application mechanism. Overall, though, it was a very smooth tire change and something I'm relieved to know I can get done at home in the future.

He also checked the tire tread on our first Gravity and approved it for a road hazard tire warranty even though it has 3650 miles on it. So we're buying the warranty for that car, too, given all the construction around here.

Also, while the tire was off the wheel, we weighed the 23" Gravity wheel. I was disappointed to find it was not forged as our 21" Air Dream wheels are, and it came in at a hefty 40.6 pounds. (The tire weighed 37.2 pounds.)
 
Got the new tire put on the Gravity 23" wheel today by a Discount Tire mobile van. The guy has worked on Airs before but not a Gravity. However, he already knew how to put the car into jack mode, something I had forgotten needed to be done. The only hiccough was that the van did not have the equipment to do a roll force balance as I had been told it would. He said that he had the same balancing machine they have in their shop for roll force balancing, but there is not room in the van for the force application mechanism. Overall, though, it was a very smooth tire change and something I'm relieved to know I can get done at home in the future.

He also checked the tire tread on our first Gravity and approved it for a road hazard tire warranty even though it has 3650 miles on it. So we're buying the warranty for that car, too, given all the construction around here.

Also, while the tire was off the wheel, we weighed the 23" Gravity wheel. I was disappointed to find it was not forged as our 21" Air Dream wheels are, and it came in at a hefty 40.6 pounds. (The tire weighed 37.2 pounds.)
Appreciate the data on 23” weight, I weighed the 20 and the 21” from small tire package and they were 69lb for the 20” and 76lb for 21” with a 36lb tire all around
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8579.webp
    IMG_8579.webp
    150.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_8577.webp
    IMG_8577.webp
    260.3 KB · Views: 140
Still like the avail M+S 3PMSF rated tire options out there for 20/21" wheel better than what I'm finding for 21/22",...and forget the 22/23's: Zero winter or even all-season choices currently available at all for those :( Have fun with that when it's 38F ("but they look so badass"...ya, whatever)


 

Attachments

  • Grav wheels.webp
    Grav wheels.webp
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 206
Still like the avail M+S 3PMSF rated tire options out there for 20/21" wheel better than what I'm finding for 21/22",...and forget the 22/23's: Zero winter or even all-season choices currently available at all for those :( Have fun with that when it's 38F ("but they look so badass"...ya, whatever)


Michelin All Season 4 on 22” all around
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8870.webp
    IMG_8870.webp
    806 KB · Views: 184
Michelin All Season 4 on 22” all around
Nice looking aftermarket/custom wheels. Goes good with the Black/Platinum

Are the tread widths staggered wider in the rear on those?
 
Nice looking aftermarket/custom wheels. Goes good with the Black/Platinum

Are the tread widths staggered wider in the rear on those?
Yes, stock tire size, large front wheel and medium rear wheel combination. 265-285/40
 
Back
Top