Glass Canopy Tint Grade

Cenzi

Cars
Lucid Air
Does anyone know what grade the tint is on the standard glass canopy roof?

I own a Lucid and a Rivian R1S. I got the glass on my Lucid tinited about 16mo ago. I live in the Phoenix area. It gets quite hot in the summer. Even with the tiniting, there is still noticibale heat coming through the canopy.

Recently, I called a tiniting shop in Scottsdale RE: tining my Rivian R1S canopy. The gentleman explained to me there are two tint grade they can use on my Rivian. The drakest grade will obviously block out more of the sun's rays. However, he cautioned me that the dark tinit might cause craks (in the glass cnopy) because it absorbs a lot of the sun's rays and causes stress on the glass canopy.

To make a long story short, I end up getting the interior fabric sun shades for both cars. You can only get the Lucid sun shade from Lucid because Lucid is a small market and there is no 3rd party version. The Lucid sun shade (see Lucid's website store) is well made, fits well, and noticably reduced the heat in the cabin. My only complaint is the price, about $200 with tax and shipping.

The Lucid sun shade is a perorated fabric. As such, you still have some light coming through from the canopy.

In contrast, the Rivian sun shade I got (from Amazon) is about $75 with tax. It fits well, though not quite as precise as the Lucid one. It has a reflective side (facing the glass canopy). As such, it reflects much of the sun light and keeps the cabin cool.

Initially, I was concerned the fabric sun shields might look tacky and not fit well. To my delight, they both fit and worked well. And they are a lot cheaper than tiniting. Overall, I am pleased with how well they worked.

If you still want to do the tinting, ask the installer about really dark tint on the canopy and the risk of cracking.

I think they are back on stock. I got mine 2 weeks ago.

Back