Front Camera and Pickup Trucks

woodruff13

New Member

Joined
Mar 9, 2025
Messages
8
Reaction score
2
Location
ElDorado Hills, CA
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Beware! I've become used to using the front camera w/ the parking guides on the displays. Typically works great, but... When pulling up behind a pickup truck that sits even a little high, all the camera sees is the differential. The trailer hitch and bumper are above the camera's field of view. Almost drove under the pickup, which would have done damage to my air, but maybe not the trailer hitch I almost hit. So, word to the wise, don't rely on the front camera when trying to park close behind a pickup..
 
Beware! I've become used to using the front camera w/ the parking guides on the displays. Typically works great, but... When pulling up behind a pickup truck that sits even a little high, all the camera sees is the differential. The trailer hitch and bumper are above the camera's field of view. Almost drove under the pickup, which would have done damage to my air, but maybe not the trailer hitch I almost hit. So, word to the wise, don't rely on the front camera when trying to park close behind a pickup..
Did the warning sonic noise work?
 
Were you parking with your eyes closed?
 
Were you parking with your eyes closed?
You always so snarky? The reason for the note. Eyes were wide open, watching the display. The hood is so long, I've become used to watching the screen so I pull the car up far enough.
 
Just wondering how people ever parked before all this tech.
 
Most cars I've owned were high enough to not scrape when parking in 'normal' parking places...
 
Just wondering how people ever parked before all this tech.
The same way as WW1 pilots who didn't have radars, lidars...In those primitive days, they had to actually look for the obstacles with their bare eyes without instruments.

In the old days, those robotic vacuum cleaners had to actually collide with an obstacle to sense that there's actually an obstacle. Not anymore, with LIDAR, today's vacuum cleaners detect obstacles from a distance without a need for collisions.

Similarly, with today's advancement of LIDAR, some Lucid drivers might have thought their LIDAR should work better than the ones in a vacuum cleaner.
 
As
You always so snarky? The reason for the note. Eyes were wide open, watching the display. The hood is so long, I've become used to watching the screen so I pull the car up far enough.
360 cameras become more prevalent more and more drivers are using the cameras to back up into parking spaces, do parallel parking, etc. So staring at the screen while parking is common. If you don't believe me, just park in a store parking lot and watch for a while.
 
Back
Top