- Joined
- Mar 30, 2025
- Messages
- 887
- Reaction score
- 1,695
- Location
- Somerville, MA
- Cars
- '26 Gravity DE, '19 X-LR
- Gravity DE Number
- 084
- Referral Code
- 8ORU2BU2
I had the, uh, opportunity to drive all of our vehicles (Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model X, Lucid Gravity) in close succession and finally have a better sense of how to describe the interior vibe, and why the Gravity is not a minivan (and really not an SUV either). I think @hmp10 has compared it previously to the short-lived Dodge Magnum, and I think that's a fair starting point comparison.
Driving the Model X for the first time since we got the Gravity in June, the thing that really struck me was how high up and forward the seating position was in the X. The center console and displays were all substantially lower to the seating position than when driving the Gravity, in a very traditional modern SUV grocery-hauler way. It also felt much narrower than the Gravity, which I think has to do with the position relative to the outside edge of the doors. The road noise and handling were even worse than I remembered, but it's still in the top quartile of vehicles and it's a lot more fun to drive that Tesla's other offerings.
Switching to the Gravity, the driver's seat feels far more like the Challenger cockpit than Tesla, except the Challenger is so low to the ground that it's uncomfortable for me to get in and out of. The seating position is somewhat lower, and also the door and center console come up substantially higher on the Gravity to form a driving cocoon. It doesn't feel as cramped (or, perhaps cozy) as the Challenger because of the added height, but the width is pretty similar.
The Gravity is definitely designed to feel like "sports car than can fit 7 people and some luggage" in a way the X is fundamentally not, and I can see why different people might prefer one vibe over the other. I still like driving both, although I think the road noise and rigid seating make the X less pleasant, and its biggest failing is the minimalist plastic interior which makes it seem cheap and chintzy -- it feels like a $50k car, not $100k. A lot of us are moving from an X to the Gravity, but they're fundamentally not the same class of vehicle.
Driving the Model X for the first time since we got the Gravity in June, the thing that really struck me was how high up and forward the seating position was in the X. The center console and displays were all substantially lower to the seating position than when driving the Gravity, in a very traditional modern SUV grocery-hauler way. It also felt much narrower than the Gravity, which I think has to do with the position relative to the outside edge of the doors. The road noise and handling were even worse than I remembered, but it's still in the top quartile of vehicles and it's a lot more fun to drive that Tesla's other offerings.
Switching to the Gravity, the driver's seat feels far more like the Challenger cockpit than Tesla, except the Challenger is so low to the ground that it's uncomfortable for me to get in and out of. The seating position is somewhat lower, and also the door and center console come up substantially higher on the Gravity to form a driving cocoon. It doesn't feel as cramped (or, perhaps cozy) as the Challenger because of the added height, but the width is pretty similar.
The Gravity is definitely designed to feel like "sports car than can fit 7 people and some luggage" in a way the X is fundamentally not, and I can see why different people might prefer one vibe over the other. I still like driving both, although I think the road noise and rigid seating make the X less pleasant, and its biggest failing is the minimalist plastic interior which makes it seem cheap and chintzy -- it feels like a $50k car, not $100k. A lot of us are moving from an X to the Gravity, but they're fundamentally not the same class of vehicle.