- Joined
- May 19, 2025
- Messages
- 494
- Reaction score
- 636
- Cars
- BMW X1
It's uhh... very Apple, if I were to put it in polite words
At least the Luce won't slice a pedestrian in half in the event of a collisionI thought the cybertruck was the most ugly EV I had ever seen and now Ferrari goes, Hold my beer....
600k
No. Hell no. F&^% no.
Eh, I think this thought process holds more weight for Ferrari's ICE vehicles.This has already been posted about multiple times and is getting long in the tooth. The “I’d rather have a Lucid Sapphire than the Ferrari Luce” completely misses the point of exotic cars. By that logic, why stop there? If you only drive your Sapphire to the grocery store and back, I’ll take a Nissan EV and save myself $200k+. It’ll still get me to Whole Foods too. See how stupid that argument becomes?
A Ferrari isn’t purchased because it wins some spreadsheet war about range, storage, or price-per-horsepower. People buy Ferraris for emotion, exclusivity, heritage, design, theater, craftsmanship, rarity, and experience. Same reason people buy a Rimac Nevera instead of a Sapphire.
Reducing every car discussion to “my favorite brand wins every comparison because I reduced the entire discussion to range/specs/0-60 or anything to fit my narrative” is exactly how you can tell someone understands specs but doesn’t understand car culture
A Lucid Air Sapphire is an incredible engineering achievement. But pretending it replaces what a Ferrari represents is like saying a Casio makes a Rolex irrelevant because both tell time.
This is exactly the problem with modern car discussions. Everything gets reduced to spec sheets and “value per dollar” arguments by people who fundamentally do not understand why exotic brands exist.Eh, I think this thought process holds more weight for Ferrari's ICE vehicles.
Looks, sound, driving experience are among the biggest reasons why Ferraris remain so popular. The Luce doesn't look good (I'd say it looks much worse than a Sapphire), lacks the sound of an ICE, and will likely drive a bit better than the Sapphire. Given this is Ferrari's first EV, the question remains on whether they will have a bunch of tech issues.
If I wanted the best looking/best performing sedan, I can't think of a single reason besides "it's a Ferrari" for why I'd buy the Luce instead of a Taycan Turbo GT for half the price.
You're describing this to me as if I don't understand why people buy these cars. I have two "supercars" in my garage and I know why I paid as much as I did when I bought them. The list you laid out is repetitive and does not acknowledge that the Luce has already failed (according to the market) on several of those fronts.This is exactly the problem with modern car discussions. Everything gets reduced to spec sheets and “value per dollar” arguments by people who fundamentally do not understand why exotic brands exist.
“If the Ferrari EV doesn’t sound like an ICE Ferrari, then why buy it?” Because Ferrari was never just an exhaust note. That’s part of it, not the entirety of it.
You people talk about cars like accountants shopping for appliances. By this logic:
Nobody should buy a Rimac Nevera because a Plaid is cheaper.
Nobody should buy a Porsche GT3 because a Corvette is cheaper.
Nobody should buy a Rolex because a Casio tells time.
Nobody should buy waterfront property because inland homes are cheaper.
You’re flattening emotional products into spreadsheet exercises. And the irony is hilarious because Lucid fanboys are doing the exact same thing Tesla fanboys used to do a decade ago. “Why buy X when my car has more range and horsepower?”
Because some people care about
Brand heritage
Rarity
Craftsmanship
Design language
Exclusivity
Theater
Emotional experience
Historical significance
All of which are subjective.
The fact that you can’t understand why someone would buy a Ferrari unless it “wins” on paper is proof you’re evaluating exotic cars through the mindset of a consumer electronics reviewer. Ferrari’s FIRST EV doesn’t need to beat the Sapphire on every metric. Ferrari’s customer base is not cross-shopping like a Costco buyer trying to maximize ounces per dollar.
You completely ignored the actual point of my previous post and just pivoted to “well the market thinks it’s ugly.” Okay? That still doesn’t answer the argument.You're describing this to me as if I don't understand why people buy these cars. I have two "supercars" in my garage and I know why I paid as much as I did when I bought them. The list you laid out is repetitive and does not acknowledge that the Luce has already failed (according to the market) on several of those fronts.
Very few want to pay $640k for a car that the market thinks is ugly. Yes, that's subjective, but this one seems widely agreed upon. That said, I have no doubt some customers will buy this for "exclusivity" purposes. These same customers would probably buy anything Ferrari sells.
You seem to be the only one referencing specs of us two. I personally bought my supercars for (a) looks and (b) driving feel. I love my AGT, but it can't compare on driving feel due to weight and lack of engine vibration/sound. The Luce will be no different, which leaves us with... looks and brand/exclusivity to drive an emotion-based purchase? I'll pass on the looks.You completely ignored the actual point of my previous post and just pivoted to “well the market thinks it’s ugly.” Okay? That still doesn’t answer the argument.
You’re evaluating Ferrari like it’s a Costco appliance purchase. “Hmm yes but my Lucid has more range and costs less.” By that logic, my F8 Spider is pointless because a Sapphire is less money, goes further, and both can legally only drive the speed limit anyway.
Ferrari buyers are not trying to win a spreadsheet competition with Lucid fanboys on Reddit. They’re buying the brand, experience, exclusivity, emotion, and occasion.
And the irony is incredible because Lucid owners suddenly pretend emotional purchases are irrational… while passionately defending a $250k EV sedan nobody actually “needs” either.