Escalade IQ set for 2025 promises 450 mi/range

Brad do you own a Lucid and you're just now doubting the big battery path?
There's a good case to be made that hauling all that battery mass around isn't the pattern the world should adopt, to save charging time infrequently.
I do like the "miles per kWh" efficiency comparison, so the big pack long range I do haul around is still more efficient overall than almost all the other EV's one can buy right now. (The Aptera isn't real yet.)

Although my statement was meant somewhat tongue in cheek…and after some pretty good dry Riesling, I do see our generation as transitional in its carbon dependence. I own an R1S because it fits my transportation needs and is a hell of a lot more carbon friendly than my previous GMC Yukon. I own the Lucid because it’s got great range, great looks and great efficiency, also much more carbon friendly than my previous Audi A8.
What I will never own is a building with electric motors attached ie. Escalade EV, just like I never owned a Hummer, because they just aren‘t necessary.
My son, who leads the green team at his workplace, likely will own an Aptera or similar vehicle because it will fit his needs and his desire to do something better for us all.

Last edited:
Although my statement was meant somewhat tongue in cheek…and after some pretty good dry Riesling, I do see our generation as transitional in its carbon dependence. I own an R1S because it fits my transportation needs and is a hell of a lot more carbon friendly than my previous GMC Yukon. I own the Lucid because it’s got great range, great looks and great efficiency, also much more carbon friendly than my previous Audi A8.
What I will never own is a building with electric motors attached ie. Escalade EV, just like I never owned a Hummer, because they just aren‘t necessary.
My son, who leads the green team at his workplace, likely will own an Aptera or similar vehicle because it will fit his needs and his desire to do something better for us all.

We think alike, Air, R1S for us and family and Aptera for my son. 😜

Then you should be driving a subcompact with a 25 kWh -45 kWh pack. Not a Lucid Air, Rivian SUV, or Tesla.

Climate change is a scientific problem that requires a scientific solution. We need to transition the global economy to carbon free renewable energy.
I agree with your second point. As to your first, I am driving a subcompact albeit with a 77 KwH battery pack.

IMO, a second problem in the US is that everyone has become accustomed to having and wanting something bigger each time whether it is a car or a burger. I went back 30 years to compare the dimensions of a BMW 3 series in 1993 with one in 2023. The length has gone from 175" to 186" and the width has gone from 67" to 72". These differences are probably representative of the industry as a whole. If most folks were driving smaller vehicles they would be able to make do with smaller battery packs.

If Lucid were to come out with a smaller vehicle but with the luxury and performance features, I would be hammering at the door.

I agree with your second point. As to your first, I am driving a subcompact albeit with a 77 KwH battery pack.

IMO, a second problem in the US is that everyone has become accustomed to having and wanting something bigger each time whether it is a car or a burger. I went back 30 years to compare the dimensions of a BMW 3 series in 1993 with one in 2023. The length has gone from 175" to 186" and the width has gone from 67" to 72". These differences are probably representative of the industry as a whole. If most folks were driving smaller vehicles they would be able to make do with smaller battery packs.

If Lucid were to come out with a smaller vehicle but with the luxury and performance features, I would be hammering at the door.

Some of that is trendiness. Some of that is our expanding waist lines as a culture. But most of it is required safety features.

None of my business, but I'd be afraid of putting a son or daughter in an 1800lb vehicle for commuting to work. I used to see a guy in a Corbin Sparrow on the local expressway at rush hour, and thought it only a little safer than riding a motorcycle.

Ever done the physics of an 1800lb object being hit by a 5000lb object?

Last edited:
Back