Electrify America Membership

Which location so I know to avoid it? The Oceanside and Escondido EA always work for me (after finding a station that works) but the Rancho Bernardo one has not worked both times I tried. It's tricky at EA because the station gives every indication it is functional except it won't charge. Only way to know it isn't working (not just for Lucid) is for another car to pull in and have it fail too. At Oceanside and Esco, if the station is functional, I can charge. At RB, it won't charge. I really think it's site dependent. Your experience is similar to what @DeaneG, @Bill55, and I have experienced. If a functional station fails to charge the Lucid, the entire site will fail to charge.
This is the Tucson EA...it's been a consistent fail since I brought the car home - it's about 9 miles from me. The puzzle to me is why the Lucid app will show 6/10 functional, I go there to try, it fails, then the Lucid app shows 0/10 available. There's a glitch that needs attention sooner than later. There are 10 stations at this location, and I've seen several EV's come and go with no problems, so this is clearly an EA/Lucid problem.

I have no confidence that I can rely on EA to travel cross country using the Electrify America network, until this situation gets addressed.

Curious situation. It seems like there is a serious disconnect between Lucid and EA. I an planning a trip in about two weeks and checked my EA app to verify which stations were looking most healthy. Going back to the Lucid app I found most, but not all, EA stations listed as offline, no chargers available. From what I have read on this forum it seems that people in some areas are having this problem and and some areas are working well. My nearest charger is in Fort Worth. I will try to head there tomorrow and grab a quick test charge. Right now the EA app shows two chargers working and the Lucid app shows none. When I looked on the nav system in the car ( just installed 2.0.14) it didn't show that station or any EA stations anywhere.

I hope Lucid is on the case. An issue like this could end up with lots of angry stranded customers.

Still a significant failure to charge at the one and only EA location in Tucson. Multiple phone/conference calls have produced no solution. The main symptoms are authentication failures, and no EA button appearing in the Lucid app. Periodically, the app shows all stations unavailable, when several are actually functioning and available, noted when I was physically present and watched other EV drivers come and go. At one point, EA was able to flip the switch for a complementary charge, and that worked just fine.
Are you on 2.0.xx software version?

Lucid also needed to add your VIN to authentication certificate to EA. Other brand EV work bc they have to download EA app, put in their certificate manually in pre-approval; and before they put dispenser into charge port, they have to activate specific stall from app. For Lucid Air, it’s all automatic basically, which requires more programming steps of authentication handshake from both sides. Other brands EV only get 30 minutes charge and idle time gets charged to credit on file where Lucid is unlimited service. I think Lucid is the biggest donor to EA having such premium package deal with EA.

FYI, I used the app and such to charge with Electrify America before with little to no issues. Unfortunately, 2 weeks ago when I picked up my car after they had installed a new High Voltage battery, on the way home I tried to charge but it didn't recognize my Lucid. I can only imagine that because the battery was changed it no longer matched up to my account. Electrify America could not help, but once I resolve it with LUCID, I will post the solution.

This is the Tucson EA...it's been a consistent fail since I brought the car home - it's about 9 miles from me. The puzzle to me is why the Lucid app will show 6/10 functional, I go there to try, it fails, then the Lucid app shows 0/10 available. There's a glitch that needs attention sooner than later. There are 10 stations at this location, and I've seen several EV's come and go with no problems, so this is clearly an EA/Lucid problem.

I have no confidence that I can rely on EA to travel cross country using the Electrify America network, until this situation gets addressed.
Once you get certification handshake fixed, you should be ok to be on road. I successfully fast charged 26 times, only twice failed on me in past 6 months.

Also download PlugShare and ABRP apps. Explore other brands’ network in case EA is too far or failed. EA + ChargePoint + EVGo = 4500 DC Fast Charging stations. Tesla Superchargers = 1500 stations.

FYI, I used the app and such to charge with Electrify America before with little to no issues. Unfortunately, 2 weeks ago when I picked up my car after they had installed a new High Voltage battery, on the way home I tried to charge but it didn't recognize my Lucid. I can only imagine that because the battery was changed it no longer matched up to my account. Electrify America could not help, but once I resolve it with LUCID, I will post the solution.
There are 3 points of failure for connection.

EA updating their software system
Lucid is deploying UX20 platform
Lucid mobile app for authenticator

Eventually Lucid and EA will get on same page for all Lucid to work. Meanwhile, EA is spaghetti coding on how different brands talk to them differently.

I’ve seen case where I was successfully charging, but Taycan attempted and failed to charge in all stalls, then he had to wait for me to finish charging. After I had enough juice and let him charge, he still couldn’t charge his Taycan. It is more nightmare for him than for me bc Taycan’s range is quite low and needs to charge more frequently.

• Wow
Reactions: DJL

Eventually Lucid and EA will get on same page for all Lucid to work. Meanwhile, EA is spaghetti coding on how different brands talk to them differently.

I’ve seen case where I was successfully charging, but Taycan attempted and failed to charge in all stalls, then he had to wait for me to finish charging. After I had enough juice and let him charge, he still couldn’t charge his Taycan. It is more nightmare for him than for me bc Taycan’s range is quite low and needs to charge more frequently.
Thank you

Which location so I know to avoid it? The Oceanside and Escondido EA always work for me (after finding a station that works) but the Rancho Bernardo one has not worked both times I tried. It's tricky at EA because the station gives every indication it is functional except it won't charge. Only way to know it isn't working (not just for Lucid) is for another car to pull in and have it fail too. At Oceanside and Esco, if the station is functional, I can charge. At RB, it won't charge. I really think it's site dependent. Your experience is similar to what @DeaneG, @Bill55, and I have experienced. If a functional station fails to charge the Lucid, the entire site will fail to charge.
Are you talking about the one at the BofA in Rancho Bernardo? I have always had luck with that one. This was the new one in Rancho Penasquitos by the 24 Hour fitness that just opened recently.

Are you talking about the one at the BofA in Rancho Bernardo? I have always had luck with that one. This was the new one in Rancho Penasquitos by the 24 Hour fitness that just opened recently.
This one is very close to home for me. Tried it for the first time yesterday and couldn’t charge for free at all.

Ended up paying for the charge myself and asking Lucid to reimburse.

This one is very close to home for me. Tried it for the first time yesterday and couldn’t charge for free at all.

The closest EA station near me is in Bellingham (Washington). I have used it twice and it is a pain. Both times I had to call customer service. The first time the rep had to get EA on the line before the charger would work. The second time the Lucid rep was able to work with me to getting to work using the Lucid App. Apparently, there is a problem with the original EA chargers and they are rather finicky with charging Lucid. Supposedly, the new EA chargers do not have this problem. We will be driving 3000 miles round trip to Denver for Thanksgiving. It sounds the the drive may be a challenge.....

Also Lucid's CCS communication/protocol software implementation may not be quite correct, or may not be as forgiving of errors as other brands. I'm sure they'll find the cause and a fix soon.

Guess I'm going to have to try the RB location again. One of the stations had replacement handles and I had to use the charger release to get it out of the port.

To you sage veterans......how much does a typical charge costs if you have to pay?

The Penasquitos one? I have wondered if it is an EA issue with a station that only recently has gone online. Have not tried charging at another EA station to see if tha5 is the case. I’ll have to do that experiment. Try the RP one first and then go to the BofA one just up the freeway.

The Penasquitos one? I have wondered if it is an EA issue with a station that only recently has gone online. Have not tried charging at another EA station to see if tha5 is the case. I’ll have to do that experiment. Try the RP one first and then go to the BofA one just up the freeway.
Yeah that one. Could be that it's very new. Will try the one up the freeway next time.

tbh, Lucid support is so awesome that paying upfront was a minor inconvenience. They're just going to reimburse me quite easily.

It was challenging couple of times initially but i changed from one EV charger to another EV charger it got connected via Lucid App. As soon as I connect I see after few sec even min Electrify America pops up in my App then selecting it i just choose the EV station number and confirm and it start charring the car. Couple of initial hiccups and now charge is happening perfectly. My experience is only three week and three charge experience.

To you sage veterans......how much does a typical charge costs if you have to pay?
30c/kWh, so get 1/2 battery fill up is like $15.

If car is at 20mpg, it would be be $48 of same distance.

At home if you get 15c/kWh, it would be $8.

Roughly 10 cents per mile gained depending on your driving speed, and if you pay EA $4/month for a Pass+ membership or not (0.31/kWh vs 0.41/kWh).

I charged today in San Diego just because I could. I had time to spare and I wanted to try out one of our local EA charging stations. Only my second time charging my Lucid at EA. Both times I hasten to add, were trouble-free experiences.

So, to go from 49% to 90%, or approximately 200 miles-ish, it WOULD have cost me $21.32. The per kWh rate is California stratospheric high, but a paltry sum compared to the extortionate rates that I’ve heard about, that Tesla are now charging at some of their San Diego supercharger locations. As high as 0.56c per kWh during peak periods.

Attachments

• B9884747-EE75-4F9F-A8A8-D46A69E196E0.jpeg
    B9884747-EE75-4F9F-A8A8-D46A69E196E0.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 66
Are you on 2.0.xx software version?

Lucid also needed to add your VIN to authentication certificate to EA. Other brand EV work bc they have to download EA app, put in their certificate manually in pre-approval; and before they put dispenser into charge port, they have to activate specific stall from app. For Lucid Air, it’s all automatic basically, which requires more programming steps of authentication handshake from both sides. Other brands EV only get 30 minutes charge and idle time gets charged to credit on file where Lucid is unlimited service. I think Lucid is the biggest donor to EA having such premium package deal with EA.
No software upgrades yet.

Back