EA: New "Charge Speed Requested by Your Vehicle"

GMan

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
60T8OVVK
Recognizing there are existing threads regarding (disappointing) charging speeds being received at EA, I'm starting a new thread here because I noticed today that EA has come out with a new feature worth discussing.

I was at an EA Signet model 350 kW charger earlier today and while charging, something caught my attention & curiosity on the EA charging screen... two different charging rates.

Upon closer inspection, it appears EA is now posting "Charge Speed Requested by Your Vehicle" (on the right) in addition to the normal "Current Charge Speed" (on the left). Please have a look at the image below.

This seems like a defensive play by EA, whereby they may better be able to defend lower charging speeds due to the negotiation between the vehicle and the charging station.

Today, I was inbetween two Porche's and both were charging at 105 kW (requesting 100), while I was charging at approx 80 kW. However, I had only preconditioned for 10 minutes and so was not really expecting 3 digits of charge speed.

Do you think EA showing the "Charge Speed Requested by Your Vehicle" will be helpful to set expectations during a charging session?

Attachments

• EA_Requested_Charging_Speed.jpeg
    EA_Requested_Charging_Speed.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 273
  • Porche.jpg
    Porche.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 271
Recognizing there are existing threads regarding (disappointing) charging speeds being received at EA, I'm starting a new thread here because I noticed today that EA has come out with a new feature worth discussing.

I was at an EA Signet model 350 kW charger earlier today and while charging, something caught my attention & curiosity on the EA charging screen... two different charging rates.

Upon closer inspection, it appears EA is now posting "Charge Speed Requested by Your Vehicle" (on the right) in addition to the normal "Current Charge Speed" (on the left). Please have a look at the image below.

This seems like a defensive play by EA, whereby they may better be able to defend lower charging speeds due to the negotiation between the vehicle and the charging station.

Today, I was inbetween two Porche's and both were charging at 105 kW (requesting 100), while I was charging at approx 80 kW. However, I had only preconditioned for 10 minutes and so was not really expecting 3 digits of charge speed.

Do you think EA showing the "Charge Speed Requested by Your Vehicle" will be helpful to set expectations during a charging session?
Not sure what to make of that? I'd suggest sending it to Lucid Customer Service. Even without pre-conditioning I have received well over 120kw from a 150Kw station.

Not sure what to make of that? I'd suggest sending it to Lucid Customer Service. Even without pre-conditioning I have received well over 120kw from a 150Kw station.
Do you recall if your SOC was 60% or greater ? I have previously charged at 147 w/pre-conditioning at SOC around 40%.

In any event, what do you make of the EA station indicating now indicating the vehicle's request rate?

Do you recall if your SOC was 60% or greater ? I have previously charged at 147 w/pre-conditioning at SOC around 40%.

In any event, what do you make of the EA station indicating now indicating the vehicle's request rate?
Maybe it will be helpful for Lucid to figure out what is the problem??

The Lucid does display at times "Charging reduced by Station". It would be nice if the Lucid displayed requested kWh next to provided kWh.

I have opened a case with Customer Care. Let's see what they come back with.

I guess EA feels like they're being unfairly targeted as the cause of slow charging speeds? This is an interesting development, more data is always better!

This past week EA trotted out a new one on me. I saw that requested charging rate on multiple chargers in the Kentucky/Indiana area. On one 350kW charger in Bowling Green, all we could get with preconditioning was 35kW. When I called up EA support they indicated that the machine was being software updated so it was running at lower speeds but there was no notification on the charger that this was the case.

I tried unplugging and restarting multiple times until we were able to get 130kW which reduced down to 90kW over 20 minutes.

This information would be useful when the car is displaying " charge rate limited by station".

I have opened a case with Customer Care. Let's see what they come back with.
@SaratogaLefty and others interested, here was the response from Lucid, which seems to make sense.

"All EV charging is slower when nearing the Charge limit. The picture shows you were 10 minutes from completing the charge. This is a normal transition when reaching the charge limit. "

I don't think CS was understanding your situation. You were at 58% SOC and charging to 71% as I see from your image. The station was outputting 87Kw and your car was requesting 79Kw. CS is correct that when you approach 80% the rate of charge will drop off dramatically. However, I'm pretty sure in the past I have received well in excess of 87Kw when my car was only at 58% SOC. One thing I would suggest is to set your charge limit at least at 80% (I set mine to 90% but usually I don't let it charge that high and pull the plug around 80%). You can stop charging whenever you want. I'm not sure if that will make a difference or not but worth a try.

That data LUCID should have got from the logs anyways. I don't think it provides any additional information to LUCID. It's something a way to point the blame or set expectations with drivers.

I don't think CS was understanding your situation. You were at 58% SOC and charging to 71% as I see from your image. The station was outputting 87Kw and your car was requesting 79Kw. CS is correct that when you approach 80% the rate of charge will drop off dramatically. However, I'm pretty sure in the past I have received well in excess of 87Kw when my car was only at 58% SOC. One thing I would suggest is to set your charge limit at least at 80% (I set mine to 90% but usually I don't let it charge that high and pull the plug around 80%). You can stop charging whenever you want. I'm not sure if that will make a difference or not but worth a try.
That is actually a very good hack. 😂 And it does make sense to release more kWh that BMS thinks it can have more room and speed to draw to.

Assuming the information is accurate, I would think that's a pretty helpful datapoint that EA is providing (what the car is requesting). Would be great to know if our vehicles could confirm what EA is saying...

Assuming the information is accurate, I would think that's a pretty helpful datapoint that EA is providing (what the car is requesting). Would be great to know if our vehicles could confirm what EA is saying...
Good point. The only indication we have is when the Lucid is being throttled by the charger. In that case, the lucid indicated it's being rate limited by the charger.

I tried charging today at a 150kw dc charger. Around 30 % charge got 8mi/min and fell to 5 mi per min at 80%. I believe that is 120kw at start and 75 kw at the end.Total 44.6kwh in 27min ( That is 99kw average) was shown on EA screen.

Attachments

• E4C0A58A-E5F9-4559-98DF-DC0A83FCF3C9.jpeg
    E4C0A58A-E5F9-4559-98DF-DC0A83FCF3C9.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 94
Back