Driving in a 40 mph gusting crosswind

jcook3s

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
DE Number
Yesterday as we drove the return leg of a 1 month road trip to Santa Fe, we drove through a 40+ mph gusting 90 degree cross wind on Interstate 40 from Gallup to Flagstaff. Giant Tumble Weeds blowing across the road(thanks for PPE). The Driving experience was delightful….no need to steer with a crab compensation, no sense of gusts shaking the car as might happen with less aerodynamic, lighter, higher profile vehicles! Great driving experience! Pleasant drive with Highway assist and the large reserve that the battery provided in 40 degree temperature. I don’t worry too much about the actual miles/Kwh (I’m not an accountant) but accept that the actual range varies depending on ambient temperature, speed, topography and wind…..my wife relished driving closer to 80 and having exhilarating power left to pass struggling big rigs while I drove a more conservative 75. The EA chargers generally worked very well and when we had a few 350’s that were cantankerous, called or used the available 150 chargers….In Flagstaff the 350’s were both being worked on when we arrived and the 150 that we plugged into started out at 178 Kw and 13 miles/minute. We went from 25% showing to 99% in about an hour. The time from 25% to 80% was about 45 minutes…not bad and seemed as good as some of the 350 chargers that we plugged into.

I just did my first EV charge in a public place. I really got off on it. No. Seriously. Anyone else feel this?

I don't remember having this feeling the first time I put gasoline in my father's VW.

for bonus points:
(is anyone here old enough to remember that lever on the floor by your left foot?)

ps: anyone drive a tumbleweed-shaped 800 Kg 36 hp VW beetle in a 40 mph crosswind ? I can verify that once the view out the front window goes sideways you will definitely roll. It's like driving a 911, only slower.

I just did my first EV charge in a public place. I really got off on it. No. Seriously. Anyone else feel this?

I don't remember having this feeling the first time I put gasoline in my father's VW.

for bonus points:
(is anyone here old enough to remember that lever on the floor by your left foot?)

ps: anyone drive a tumbleweed-shaped 800 Kg 36 hp VW beetle in a 40 mph crosswind ? I can verify that once the view out the front window goes sideways you will definitely roll. It's like driving a 911, only slower.
By "left foot lever" I can think of many things, first would be the clutch, but I also remember the headlight high/low toggle button. Then there's the hood latch lever, gas fill door release, hood release, and my wife mentioned the seat position adjustment levers, though those weren't by the driver's foot except when entering the car! None of those apply to the Air.
<offtopic>But my favorite crosswind times are crossing the southwest desert on a motorcycle while the wind tries to rip my helmet off. </offtopic>

for bonus points:

I think it’s the fuel reserve lever?

I think it’s the fuel reserve lever?
And yes! Now that we have both cars electric, I only think of gas stations while on a road trip for bathroom breaks…. The rest of the time, I’ve stopped even seeing them! The first time I charged, very liberating, exciting and forward looking experience!

By "left foot lever" I can think of many things, first would be the clutch, but I also remember the headlight high/low toggle button.
Am I the only one who still thinks those high beam toggle foot buttons were better than using the stalk (obviously when not using the auto setting)??? Much easier having the single purpose foot button than a multipurpose stalk (or TWO in the case of my Tesla Model S…).

Yesterday as we drove the return leg of a 1 month road trip to Santa Fe, we drove through a 40+ mph gusting 90 degree cross wind on Interstate 40 from Gallup to Flagstaff. Giant Tumble Weeds blowing across the road(thanks for PPE). The Driving experience was delightful….no need to steer with a crab compensation, no sense of gusts shaking the car as might happen with less aerodynamic, lighter, higher profile vehicles! Great driving experience! Pleasant drive with Highway assist and the large reserve that the battery provided in 40 degree temperature. I don’t worry too much about the actual miles/Kwh (I’m not an accountant) but accept that the actual range varies depending on ambient temperature, speed, topography and wind…..my wife relished driving closer to 80 and having exhilarating power left to pass struggling big rigs while I drove a more conservative 75. The EA chargers generally worked very well and when we had a few 350’s that were cantankerous, called or used the available 150 chargers….In Flagstaff the 350’s were both being worked on when we arrived and the 150 that we plugged into started out at 178 Kw and 13 miles/minute. We went from 25% showing to 99% in about an hour. The time from 25% to 80% was about 45 minutes…not bad and seemed as good as some of the 350 chargers that we plugged into.
My first public charger experience at a walmart involved staring down stone faced ICE owners parked in charging bays (despite massive signs) uncomfortably close to my agt and watching police chase and arrest a perp! Entertaining but gotta find something else to engage myself while charging. Lucid should come up with some entertainment apps that can activate during charging like Fisker. Good to know about side winds, we have tons of that in the cascades and columbia gorge

for bonus points:

My first public charger experience at a walmart involved staring down stone faced ICE owners parking in charging bays (despite massive signs) uncomfortably close to my agt and watching police chase and arrest a perp! Entertaining but gotta find something else to engage myself while charging. Lucid should come up with some entertainment apps that can activate during charging like Fisker. Good to know about side winds, we have tons of that in the cascades and columbia gorge

My first public charger experience at a walmart involved staring down stone faced ICE owners parked in charging bays (despite massive signs) uncomfortably close to my agt and watching police chase and arrest a perp! Entertaining but gotta find something else to engage myself while charging. Lucid should come up with some entertainment apps that can activate during charging like Fisker. Good to know about side winds, we have tons of that in the cascades and columbia gorge

My first public charger experience at a walmart involved staring down stone faced ICE owners parking in charging bays (despite massive signs) uncomfortably close to my agt and watching police chase and arrest a perp! Entertaining but gotta find something else to engage myself while charging. Lucid should come up with some entertainment apps that can activate during charging like Fisker. Good to know about side winds, we have tons of that in the cascades and columbia gorge

My first public charger experience at a Walmart involved carefully stepping around an enormous, freshly pile of human turd. It was right next to my charging stall, and unfortunately for me I had to park at that stall because it was the only one available. It was gross. Really gross.

Class act, Walmart shoppers are.

My first public charger experience at a Walmart involved carefully stepping around an enormous, freshly pile of human turd. It was right next to my charging stall, and unfortunately for me I had to park at that stall because it was the only one available. It was gross. Really gross.

Class act, Walmart shoppers are.
That should definitely rank at the top of the list of worst walmart charging experiences!

Back