Difference between Surreal Sound Pro and Base Surreal Sound. Anyone know?

Dr Chill

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Trying to finalize my order and am not able to find anything showing what the base SS offers. I assume no Dolby Atmos, but less speakers and lower power? Anyone know?

Trying to finalize my order and am not able to find anything showing what the base SS offers. I assume no Dolby Atmos, but less speakers and lower power? Anyone know?
I think in addition to no Atmos, you won’t get directional alerts (cool feature but not necessary and kind of a gimmick), and it’s definitely fewer speakers, but SS pro has 21 speakers so less speakers could still be many speakers!

12 speakers and 500 watt amp vs 21 speaker 800 dual amp

I called the Lucid national sales number and they had no idea about the base Surreal sound.

I guess I'll just wait until November 15th to finalize. If they give more details on the Pure, surely they will discuss the base sound system. Since I'm getting a metal roof, the delay won't matter.

I hate to bump an old thread.. I was told by my DA today that all Tourings and Pure models moving forward will have the Surreal Sound pro hardware installed with a 90 day trial. It will be software restricted meaning the Dolby Atmos will not be active and you will lose output from couple speakers after the trial period ….Anyone who took delivery of a Pure or touring model who did not get SSPRO care to chime in on his statemeant.

thanks

Reactions: DBV
I heard the same today. Curious if anyone has any input on sound quality from regular vs pro?

If possible if you are near a studio, I recommend you ask for a demo of the sound system. The guy at the Natick studio put together a playlist which shows off the capabilities of the car, maybe you can ask your local studio to reach out to him and see if he can share the playlist. To fully utilize Atmos you’ll need to subscribe to Tidal HiFi Plus which is $24/month (free 3 month trial with the car I think?), although Apple Music has Atmos and is cheaper and should work when we get CarPlay. A couple songs on Tidal that will show off the capabilities of SSP in Atmos are INXS Mediate, Prince’s When Doves Cry, Billie Eilish Oxytocin and The Doors Riders on the storm. If you’re not a music nut and don’t care about super high fidelity save the $, which is a lot of $ when you factor in the Tidal subscription, the regular sound system without the full 21 speakers and Atmos enabled should still sound decent, the other additional difference that there’s a second amplifier/DSP for SSP (thanks @DreamTour for the awesome tear down of the system!)

If possible if you are near a studio, I recommend you ask for a demo of the sound system. The guy at the Natick studio put together a playlist which shows off the capabilities of the car, maybe you can ask your local studio to reach out to him and see if he can share the playlist. To fully utilize Atmos you’ll need to subscribe to Tidal HiFi Plus which is $24/month (free 3 month trial with the car I think?), although Apple Music has Atmos and is cheaper and should work when we get CarPlay. A couple songs on Tidal that will show off the capabilities of SSP in Atmos are INXS Mediate, Prince’s When Doves Cry, Billie Eilish Oxytocin and The Doors Riders on the storm. If you’re not a music nut and don’t care about super high fidelity save the $, which is a lot of $ when you factor in the Tidal subscription, the regular sound system without the full 21 speakers and Atmos enabled should still sound decent, the other additional difference that there’s a second amplifier/DSP for SSP (thanks @DreamTour for the awesome tear down of the system!)

Thanks - I just upgraded to Touring from Pure and opted for the base sound system. They said i'd have the option to upgrade later if I chose to but given the paltry sound quality from the BMW this is replacing, I'm sure even the base sound system will be quite the upgrade!

I have SSP in my first build. My metal roof second car will have the base sound system. Dolby Atmos not available via Amazon Music or SiriusXM which will be my primary sources after the 3 month trial period is over. I also opted to drop the DDP as I find Highway Assist to be unnecessary and am tired of constant reminders to take control of the steering wheel, even when my hands are on the wheel. The base Touring for 95k is more than adequate. It's all about the driving experience rather than bells and whistles.

Thanks - I just upgraded to Touring from Pure and opted for the base sound system. They said i'd have the option to upgrade later if I chose to but given the paltry sound quality from the BMW this is replacing, I'm sure even the base sound system will be quite the upgrade!
It's been roundly discussed on this forum that SSP is a great sound system in that it faithfully reproduces the recording, competing with just about any car stereo in existence, with remarkably flat frequency response given the constraints of a cabin full of reflective glass. This is especially clear in a stationary car.

However it turns out that quite a lot of people enjoy their music distorted, with exaggerated low bass frequencies. SSP doesn't really do that. Subjectively, much of the bass response that it does have is nullified by road noise (of which not a ton in a Lucid, but enough). If you are one of those people, you may be underwhelmed, or at best, whelmed.

Back