Because apparently the taxes we pay on electricity are not enough and the nett negative impact on air pollution and health externalities from reduced PM 2.5 are not enough.
Prior to EV's the electricity you used wasn't being used for transport (for the most part, golf carts are a very very tiny portion of road mileage and very restricted on roads). Also I don't think there is any federal tax on electricity usage and the original poster was bringing up the $130/year tax the federal government wants to add.Because apparently the taxes we pay on electricity are not enough and the nett negative impact on air pollution and health externalities from reduced PM 2.5 are not enough.
In Germany you get paid for driving an ev.My point is that EVs basically clean the air (nett positive) and we already contribute to the tax base through our fuel (which does not enjoy the rebates Gasoline does). They should be paying us.
No state income though, huh...It's all relative!...I pay an extra $200 on top of regular registration fees already in Texas. I also pay tolls for a ton of the highways I drive on all the time. In addition, I pay gas tax for my wife’s car, super high property taxes, sales tax….
The bottom line is no amount of our money is ever enough for any government and it is always easy to stick it the minority of owners, especially in an oil-addicted state like Texas.