Congress Wants You To Pay $130 A Year Just To Drive An Electric Car

Because apparently the taxes we pay on electricity are not enough and the nett negative impact on air pollution and health externalities from reduced PM 2.5 are not enough.
 
Because apparently the taxes we pay on electricity are not enough and the nett negative impact on air pollution and health externalities from reduced PM 2.5 are not enough.
Prior to EV's the electricity you used wasn't being used for transport (for the most part, golf carts are a very very tiny portion of road mileage and very restricted on roads). Also I don't think there is any federal tax on electricity usage and the original poster was bringing up the $130/year tax the federal government wants to add.
 
My point is that EVs basically clean the air (nett positive) and we already contribute to the tax base through our fuel (which does not enjoy the rebates Gasoline does). They should be paying us.
 
My point is that EVs basically clean the air (nett positive) and we already contribute to the tax base through our fuel (which does not enjoy the rebates Gasoline does). They should be paying us.
In Germany you get paid for driving an ev.
It's called
Greenhouse Gas reduction quota

And it differs every year.
First year it go introduced in 2022 it was around 500 euros. Then 300, 200, 100 and now 300 euro again :)
 
I pay an extra $200 on top of regular registration fees already in Texas. I also pay tolls for a ton of the highways I drive on all the time. In addition, I pay gas tax for my wife’s car, super high property taxes, sales tax….

The bottom line is no amount of our money is ever enough for any government and it is always easy to stick it the minority of owners, especially in an oil-addicted state like Texas.
No state income though, huh...It's all relative!...
 
You use the roads, you should help pay for the roads.
 
I pay state and federal taxes. With my 2 EVs I assist with pollution reduction, I reduce gasoline demand, I pay tax on the power that I use to power my vehicles. I pay registration for my vehicles. My neighbors with their Ford f150 and Suburban enjoy the est. 20 -20 Billion a year in subsidies our taxes pay for..
How about getting rid of all those associated taxes and billions of subsidies and tax carbon. Solved. The more you use the more you pay. Seems fairer to have everyone pay for roads as they use them as the original gas tax was set up to achieve. With new technologies like EVs, our antiquated laws need to be revised. Not asking for a free ride, just a level playing field.
 
Back
Top