Colorado Meet Up and Drive (October 14th or 15th?)

joec

Referral Code - MX1KDTYY
Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
MX1KDTYY
Okay, gang. I know I've been talking forever about doing a local meetup, but I've been traveling so much this summer I never really got around to making a plan.

So let's remedy that.

The Aspens are turning as we speak, and the weather has been amazing lately. Might as well do something before the snow sets in.

Here's my proposal.

Dates:

October 14 or 15th.

I'm thinking we meet up in Estes Park sometime late morning. Maybe 10 or 11. Somewhere with a large parking lot. Maybe the Stanley hotel? We gather, chat for a bit while we check out each other's cars, then we hit the road. (if you've never been to the Stanley, you may want to arrive early and check that place out. Super cool place for any Stephen King fan.)

The Drive:

Starting off in Estes, we cruise along the peak-to-peak highway, perhaps stopping at some choice spots along the way to take photos. We drive all the way to Nederland. (If you've never done this drive, you're in for a treat. It's gorgeous. It's full of nice curves. It's a driver's road.

Lunch:

Once we hit Nederland, we stop for lunch. It's a small town, but there are a few good options for food. Alternatively, we could head down to Boulder and find a place to eat. More options, and it's only another 20 minutes away. We eat. We chat some more.

From Nederland or Boulder, folks can head back any way they like towards home. If you've never done the Boulder Canyon Drive from Nederland down to Boulder, I would recommend taking that back down the mountain. That's likely where I will be heading. Another amazing road in the fall. That will drop you into Boulder, and from there you can get pretty much anywhere you need to go in the state.

Let me know your thoughts. I'm open to suggestions. The only danger I see here is that it may be crowded on the road that weekend, due to it being peak leaf peeping season. So we may hit a bit of traffic along the way. But I don't want to wait too long and end up with snow-covered roads. Might as well give it a shot.

All are welcome, of course. It would be good to get a bit of a head count, so we can think about lunch options.

I'm also open to future drives in other parts of the state. I'm just going with where I know right now. And Estes is fairly central.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread to see if we can get some sort of head count. Sounds like the 14th is best for folks so far. Check in and let me know if you are interested, so I can do some more planning about specific stops. Also open to suggestions in the areas I mentioned for lunch.

I will plan to be at the Stanley Hotel lot around 10:00 am Sat. Oct 14.

Crosscut pizza looks like a nice place. Never been before.

Also another road to go down from the mountains: the 72 Coal creek canyon road is pretty. Though it's mostly pine trees, so not much of fall colors last time I drove there.
I've never had Crosscut either. Always up for pizza. There's also Busey's brewery as well. Good beers there. I'm open to whatever.

I just realized: Saturday there will be a partial Solar Eclipse. Starting at 9am, but not finishing until almost 12. We're not quite in the path where we will get a full "ring of fire" from this annular event, but about 90% of the sun will be covered around 10:30-10:35. Which could make it quite dark outside right as we were planning on driving. Not to mention, we may get some traffic from folks who are attempting to get a higher up view from places like Estes or Nederland.

What do you all think about moving to later in the afternoon? Or perhaps Sunday? @victoryroad @valentin.horner@

Sunday is fine with me. although Sat. is better. Traffic will probably be heavy on both days. Five minutes of darkness is an exciting event so no determent for me.

Sorry, folks, but I'm no longer going to be able to make this drive tomorrow. A few things came up at home I need to take care of.

Feel free to go ahead and do the drive without me. I'll have to catch you all next time. Hopefully we can schedule another one before the snow makes it too difficult.

I plan to go. Who else is planning to meet at the Stanley Hotel lot?

I plan to go tomorrow to the Stanley Hotel lot as Joec suggested above. After that whatever works best for a drive and lunch.

It was nice meeting you both, here are the pictures I took today :)
1000012854.jpg
1000012856.jpg
1000012855.jpg
1000012853.jpg
1000012857.jpg
1000012858.jpg

Thank you Val. Pictures are very good. I like the way the mirror body framed a few of your shots. It was indeed a pleasure meeting you and Andy!

Val's Lucid in front of the Stanley, Estes Park, CO

Attachments

• PXL_20231014_171007275.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231014_171007275.MP.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 63
Okay, gang. I know I've been talking forever about doing a local meetup, but I've been traveling so much this summer I never really got around to making a plan.

So let's remedy that.

The Aspens are turning as we speak, and the weather has been amazing lately. Might as well do something before the snow sets in.

Here's my proposal.

Dates:

October 14 or 15th.

I'm thinking we meet up in Estes Park sometime late morning. Maybe 10 or 11. Somewhere with a large parking lot. Maybe the Stanley hotel? We gather, chat for a bit while we check out each other's cars, then we hit the road. (if you've never been to the Stanley, you may want to arrive early and check that place out. Super cool place for any Stephen King fan.)

The Drive:

Starting off in Estes, we cruise along the peak-to-peak highway, perhaps stopping at some choice spots along the way to take photos. We drive all the way to Nederland. (If you've never done this drive, you're in for a treat. It's gorgeous. It's full of nice curves. It's a driver's road.

Lunch:

Once we hit Nederland, we stop for lunch. It's a small town, but there are a few good options for food. Alternatively, we could head down to Boulder and find a place to eat. More options, and it's only another 20 minutes away. We eat. We chat some more.

From Nederland or Boulder, folks can head back any way they like towards home. If you've never done the Boulder Canyon Drive from Nederland down to Boulder, I would recommend taking that back down the mountain. That's likely where I will be heading. Another amazing road in the fall. That will drop you into Boulder, and from there you can get pretty much anywhere you need to go in the state.

Let me know your thoughts. I'm open to suggestions. The only danger I see here is that it may be crowded on the road that weekend, due to it being peak leaf peeping season. So we may hit a bit of traffic along the way. But I don't want to wait too long and end up with snow-covered roads. Might as well give it a shot.

All are welcome, of course. It would be good to get a bit of a head count, so we can think about lunch options.

I'm also open to future drives in other parts of the state. I'm just going with where I know right now. And Estes is fairly central.
Sorry to have missed this. I was in Mesa Verde viewing the eclipse on Saturday Oct. 14th.

Back