Charging subscription for travel

Aka-none

Active Member

Verified Owner
Joined
Aug 23, 2025
Messages
505
Reaction score
285
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
For anyone using public chargers, of any network, what experience do you have with charging fees?
Is the charging cost sufficiently less to make it worthwhile to subscribe to a network or just pay the public fee, per kWh?

On a recent trip to upper peninsula Michigan we saw most chargers at $0.55/kwh, irrespective of which network we charged from.

We’re planning a trip this weekend from Wisconsin to Texas and wondering if it is worth buying a subscription or not.

Thoughts?
 
For anyone using public chargers, of any network, what experience do you have with charging fees?
Is the charging cost sufficiently less to make it worthwhile to subscribe to a network or just pay the public fee, per kWh?

On a recent trip to upper peninsula Michigan we saw most chargers at $0.55/kwh, irrespective of which network we charged from.

We’re planning a trip this weekend from Wisconsin to Texas and wondering if it is worth buying a subscription or not.

Thoughts?
I got the Tesla subscription for one month in December bc we had 3 road trips. Was well worth it. I think it only takes a couple of charges during the month to make it worth it.
 
Is the charging cost sufficiently less to make it worthwhile to subscribe to a network or just pay the public fee, per kWh?
Do the math, but when I did Tesla was money-saving after two charges, and EA after 3. YMMV.
 
With these subs, can you start and stop them as needed? I doubt the money would work out for me, because I can go a month or more without needing to fast charge quite often. But if I could sub for just the months where I actually do trips, that would be great.
 
With these subs, can you start and stop them as needed? I doubt the money would work out for me, because I can go a month or more without needing to fast charge quite often. But if I could sub for just the months where I actually do trips, that would be great.
Yes. In fact, you can sub and cancel immediately, and you’ll still get the full 30 days (no refunds)
 
For Tesla, I looked at about a half dozen stations along the road trips routes we regularly take and found a differences of about $0.20/kWh. A month's subscription is $13 plus tax (bring it to $14.18 for me in CA). 14.18/0.20 = 71 kWh for break-even, so on a Gravity GT that's less than one fill-up.
 
With these subs, can you start and stop them as needed? I doubt the money would work out for me, because I can go a month or more without needing to fast charge quite often. But if I could sub for just the months where I actually do trips, that would be great.

Yes. In fact, you can sub and cancel immediately, and you’ll still get the full 30 days (no refunds)

I did that with Wild Alaskan Company for a bunch of fish over the holidays.

What do you mean that isn't pertinent to the discussion? ;)

--

One of my credit cards that is tied to all my EV charging subs expired at the end of the year and am now trying to decide which to rejoin/join.
 
I did that with Wild Alaskan Company for a bunch of fish over the holidays.

What do you mean that isn't pertinent to the discussion? ;)
How are the fish from WAC? Uh, just in case I want to drive them around in my Lucid Air...
 
Because the Air supports plug and charge with EA (not sure with Tesla), if you decide to pay for a month's subscription to get a cheaper rate, you need to initiate the charge with the EA/Tesla app BEFORE plugging into your Air. Otherwise you will be billed directly by Lucid at the higher non-member rate. I haven't used Tesla yet to charge the Air, so I am uncertain if they support plug and charge yet for Lucid.
 
With the Air Tesla chargers, for the most part, are limited to 50kW.
They really need to allow the EA plan work with plug and play.
 
sadly (in another post) my defroster has failed and won't get repaired until we would have come back from Texas. Note the would have because my darling bride said no defrost, no travel. :-(. I really prefer not driving the Kia Nero, nice enough car but not a road tripper.
 
Back
Top