Charges Too Fast!

Papa Red

Verified Owner
Reaction score
9,000 miles in with my lovely Lucid and I have an issue. We had settled into a good rhythm for local charging at a few favorite EV spots. The stations coincidentally were proximate to favorite pubs as well. Timing was perfect- plug in for lunch, stroll a few blocks away, leisurely have a meal, and then stroll back before you could be accused of charger hogging or getting idle fees. Life was good.

Now, after a few OTA's (that dastardly continuous improvement mentality that Lucid has) she is obviously charging much much faster. Don't have the numbers to back it up, but trust me it's true. And don't rely on the "time remaining" on the app.

Now I am having to rush my meal and beverages and the timing is all off. Actually had to pick up the stroll back to a jog now a couple times. Dang it.

I would actually appreciate the ability to choose a lower charging rate manually. Lucid's portable EVSE is not adjustable, always offering its max amperage for the voltage it sees. The car will always ask for the max that the EVSE can deliver. Usually this is fine, but when harvesting a charge in a remote location this doesn't always work. A couple quick examples, remote RV parks sometimes have wiring that is not up to supplying their full rated amperage continuously. Being able to select a 10A or 20A limit would even allow the (unofficial) use of adapters in a pinch. Charging at Level 1 at a remote cabin, maybe using an extension cord, it would be great to dial down to 8A.
Being able to harvest a little charge from a location not prepared to deliver a full 40A/240V supply, or one with old wiring of unknown quality, would be a nice security blanket for those of us who boldly go where no EV has gone before.
TLDR: Let me set a temporary AC amperage charging limit.

I would actually appreciate the ability to choose a lower charging rate manually. Lucid's portable EVSE is not adjustable, always offering its max amperage for the voltage it sees. The car will always ask for the max that the EVSE can deliver. Usually this is fine, but when harvesting a charge in a remote location this doesn't always work. A couple quick examples, remote RV parks sometimes have wiring that is not up to supplying their full rated amperage continuously. Being able to select a 10A or 20A limit would even allow the (unofficial) use of adapters in a pinch. Charging at Level 1 at a remote cabin, maybe using an extension cord, it would be great to dial down to 8A.
Being able to harvest a little charge from a location not prepared to deliver a full 40A/240V supply, or one with old wiring of unknown quality, would be a nice security blanket for those of us who boldly go where no EV has gone before.
TLDR: Let me set a temporary AC amperage charging limit.
I agree this would be nice for specific circumstances.

But I don't know how they would be able to differentiate that versus a standard level 2 or supercharger and prevent people from hogging it at lower rates of charge

9,000 miles in with my lovely Lucid and I have an issue. We had settled into a good rhythm for local charging at a few favorite EV spots. The stations coincidentally were proximate to favorite pubs as well. Timing was perfect- plug in for lunch, stroll a few blocks away, leisurely have a meal, and then stroll back before you could be accused of charger hogging or getting idle fees. Life was good.

Now, after a few OTA's (that dastardly continuous improvement mentality that Lucid has) she is obviously charging much much faster. Don't have the numbers to back it up, but trust me it's true. And don't rely on the "time remaining" on the app.

Now I am having to rush my meal and beverages and the timing is all off. Actually had to pick up the stroll back to a jog now a couple times. Dang it.
Really? Sorry but I would want you to charge as fast as possible so the charger is free for someone else.

Really? Sorry but I would want you to charge as fast as possible so the charger is free for someone else.
This was humor.

But I don't know how they would be able to differentiate that versus a standard level 2 or supercharger and prevent people from hogging it at lower rates of charge
My home L2 EVSE itself can limit its amperage in software. One way to do this would be adding that capability to the mobile EVSE (assuming it's not hidden in there already).

This was humor.

My home L2 EVSE itself can limit its amperage in software. One way to do this would be adding that capability to the mobile EVSE (assuming it's not hidden in there already).
I understand the use case, but on public chargers it doesn't make sense to prolong your time there because others will be waiting.

Even if you stop at a hotel which is level 2 or even plug in outlet level 1

You'd want to charge at fastest speed so others who could even be in more dire situations, take it up after you.

So it makes sense for me to just leave it as is unless you own the recepticle

I understand the use case, but on public chargers it doesn't make sense to prolong your time there because others will be waiting.

Even if you stop at a hotel which is level 2 or even plug in outlet level 1

You'd want to charge at fastest speed so others who could even be in more dire situations, take it up after you.

So it makes sense for me to just leave it as is unless you own the recepticle
Nobody is actually serious about this. Basically this entire thread is sarcasm.

Back