Chargepoint public chargers?

austinlucid

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
Apologies if this is a dumb question - just got our Lucid this week, haven't charged it yet so want to see what our best options are.

Does Lucid have any deals/discounts with the Chargepoint public charging network? There is one Electrify America location about 15 miles from me, but that's the only one nearby, and want to understand what my public charging options are.

Had originally just planned to use the 110v included trickle charger until the Lucid home charging station becomes available. I use a 110v charger for my Chevy Volt, and that gives the Volt 3-4 miles of range per hour. With the Lucid, however, I get zero to slightly negative miles of range per hour - the garage gets really hot (Texas) and apparently all the power goes to just running the fans to cool the battery (from reading the forums this isn't uncommon).

Responding to my own post because hopefully this is helpful to others. After doing some research I found that Austin Energy has a boatload of EV incentives - my guess is that other cities have something similar. See https://austinenergy.com/ae/green-power/plug-in-austin/charging-station-map. Main benefits include:

1. For $50 a year you get access to tons of level 2 chargers in their "Plug In EVerywhere" program. Seems like a great deal, I plan to go with that.
2. 50% rebate on installing a home charger, up to $1200 for a wi-fi enabled charger that can talk to Austin Energy to adjust usage to peak times, or $900 for a non-wi-fi charger. I'm assuming the forthcoming Lucid Connected Home Charging Station will be wi-fi enabled.
3. They have a bunch of DC fast chargers in downtown Austin for 21¢ a minute.

Again, obviously only relevant to Austin, but a good reminder to check if your locale offers EV incentives.

Apologies if this is a dumb question - just got our Lucid this week, haven't charged it yet so want to see what our best options are.

Does Lucid have any deals/discounts with the Chargepoint public charging network? There is one Electrify America location about 15 miles from me, but that's the only one nearby, and want to understand what my public charging options are.

Had originally just planned to use the 110v included trickle charger until the Lucid home charging station becomes available. I use a 110v charger for my Chevy Volt, and that gives the Volt 3-4 miles of range per hour. With the Lucid, however, I get zero to slightly negative miles of range per hour - the garage gets really hot (Texas) and apparently all the power goes to just running the fans to cool the battery (from reading the forums this isn't uncommon).
I assume your EA access is at Round Rock Premium Outlet mall.

Come join the Texas Lucian owners forum!
Thread 'ALL TEXAS OWNERS (or future owners) please post on this thread'
https://lucidowners.com/threads/all-texas-owners-or-future-owners-please-post-on-this-thread.2404/

110v is impossible to charge. I personally haven’t use anything but home charger and EA chargers yet which is 3 miles away from my house.

110v is impossible to charge. I personally haven’t use anything but home charger and EA chargers yet which is 3 miles away from my house.
Yes it is. I have a BMW PHEV (530e) and it took almost 8 hours to charge at 110, and just under 2 hours once I installed a charger unit. I have a problem that my electrician could only free up a 20 amp circuit for my charger and I am planning to use that knowing that I will only get about 150 miles or so out of it overnight but I also plan to occasionally top off at EA sites.

The EA charging program is not such a good deal for me, in that they do not have a single charging station in our entire State. (Delaware) It sure would be nice and possibly more equitable for Lucid to expand to some other suppliers.

Most of the ChargePoint public chargers are listed at 6.48kW. Seems really low. Is that correct?

Most of the ChargePoint public chargers are listed at 6.48kW. Seems really low. Is that correct?
Those would be AC Level 2 chargers. Set a filter for CCS, aka "DC fast" charging. There are many more L2 chargers as they are much cheaper to install, but are really only useful when the car is left parked while at work or during sleep.

Those would be AC Level 2 chargers. Set a filter for CCS, aka "DC fast" charging. There are many more L2 chargers as they are much cheaper to install, but are really only useful when the car is left parked while at work or during sleep.
thank you

Yeah, the Chargepoint public chargers that you can get with the Austin Energy $50-per-year deal are all L2 chargers. When charging at 6 KW I get about 20 miles of range an hour. There are some chargers where I park my car for work, and even though I'm only there about 2 days a week that actually is totally sufficient for my average charging needs (I don't have a home charger yet).

The only thing I hate about the Chargepoint L2 chargers is that it seems like half of them are broken or otherwise non-functional. There is one at the Whole Foods flagship store that has been busted for God knows how long. Ones in a garage at the Domain, for whatever reason, don't charge when I plug in my Lucid. Even in my work garage where there are 3 chargers, one works, one "hasn't been set up" according to the message on the screen, and a third one appears to work but is not connected to the Chargepoint app and requires a credit card. Even the Fast DC chargers on "Electric Avenue" by the old power plant (the 21c a minute ones), the first one I pulled up to, *the cord was too short to plug in my Lucid* - how stupid is that? Luckily I was able to go to another one where the cord was barely long enough.

I replaced my 2015 Model S Tesla with a Lucid. Having had a Tesla 100 amp destination charger installed in my garage, I purchased a Tesla to j1772 adapter that allows me to charge my Lucid. The beauty of having the adapter is that I can take it with me on trips, which adds an additional number of charging options for me. The adapters cost about $150 and are simply plug and play. I prefer to charge on super chargers, but living in northern Michigan they’re not that plentiful.

I replaced my 2015 Model S Tesla with a Lucid. Having had a Tesla 100 amp destination charger installed in my garage, I purchased a Tesla to j1772 adapter that allows me to charge my Lucid. The beauty of having the adapter is that I can take it with me on trips, which adds an additional number of charging options for me. The adapters cost about $150 and are simply plug and play. I prefer to charge on super chargers, but living in northern Michigan they’re not that plentiful.
Could you please post the link where you purchased the adapter ?

Back