Callout to anyone in the NY area-Clean Pass

Lucken

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Pure, BMW i4
Referral Code
97KPWDUB
I'm having a weird issue that I've never had with any other EV I've owned. I've always had a Clean Pass sticker for the high occupancy lanes on Long Island and never had a problem getting one. For some reason I got a rejection from the NY DMV saying the Clean Pass is only for EVs & Hybrids. This despite the fact that I sent them a picture of the window sticker. So they obviously have no idea what this car is.

So has anyone in the NY area been able to get a Clean Pass sticker and have you had these issues and been able to circumvent them? Of course you can't actually get a live person to speak to in the Clean Pass group.

I'm having a weird issue that I've never had with any other EV I've owned. I've always had a Clean Pass sticker for the high occupancy lanes on Long Island and never had a problem getting one. For some reason I got a rejection from the NY DMV saying the Clean Pass is only for EVs & Hybrids. This despite the fact that I sent them a picture of the window sticker. So they obviously have no idea what this car is.

So has anyone in the NY area been able to get a Clean Pass sticker and have you had these issues and been able to circumvent them? Of course you can't actually get a live person to speak to in the Clean Pass group.
This is the website to request it: https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/clean-pass-stickers-high-occupancy-vehicle-lanes-long-island-expressway

It seems Lucid isn't listed on their eligible cars. A list of eligible vehicles can be found at https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-Prog...ric-Cars-Program/How-it-Works/Eligible-Models

This is the website to request it: https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/clean-pass-stickers-high-occupancy-vehicle-lanes-long-island-expressway

It seems Lucid isn't listed on their eligible cars. A list of eligible vehicles can be found at https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-Prog...ric-Cars-Program/How-it-Works/Eligible-Models
Thanks, but I already did this. I’ve applied for these passes many times with previous EVs, so I’m very familiar with the process. Previously I’ve never had an issue, this is the first time. It makes no sense that Lucid wouldn’t be on the list as their EVs are more efficient than anything on the list.

I’ve reapplied and asked for an explanation if denied again. The original denial clearly shows they don’t know what a Lucid Air is when they state the car needs to be a plug-in EV or plug-in Hybrid, as if they think the Lucid is neither. 😩

Thanks, but I already did this. I’ve applied for these passes many times with previous EVs, so I’m very familiar with the process. Previously I’ve never had an issue, this is the first time. It makes no sense that Lucid wouldn’t be on the list as their EVs are more efficient than anything on the list.

I’ve reapplied and asked for an explanation if denied again. The original denial clearly shows they don’t know what a Lucid Air is when they state the car needs to be a plug-in EV or plug-in Hybrid, as if they think the Lucid is neither. 😩
I hear ya … as in any government agency they don’t know any better when wording “plug-in electric” and “plug-in-hybrid”, then again the main issue is that Lucid is not listed on their system altogether; if it was I would’ve picked “plug-in-electric”, fill out all other fields and see what would’ve happened.

By the way, I read somewhere that the HOV perk will end for Long Island in September 2025 … too many cars on that lane already, not making much difference.

Currently I still can save 15-20 minutes in the HOV lane, but yes the perk is ending 9/25. I’m still fighting for the sticker so we’ll see what happens.

I think it had to do with the whole dealer vs. no dealer in a state and technically not being allowed to sell in NYS which is why they aren't eligible.

Good luck fighting it though and if you get through the tape please let us know.

I think it had to do with the whole dealer vs. no dealer in a state and technically not being allowed to sell in NYS which is why they aren't eligible.

Good luck fighting it though and if you get through the tape please let us know.
Yup. I just discovered this is another thread. Unreal. NY sucks in so many ways and this is just one more. Here we have what is just about the most energy efficient car on the road and because of politics the car doesn't qualify. This from a state that considers itself green friendly and encouraging. BS.

I will continue the fight, but it's looking bleak. I hope Lucid does their part as did Tesla to work around this nonsense.

Wait, what? does that mean Lucid isn’t allowed to sell cars in New York state? how did they manage to have showrooms (studios)? where do they deliver their cars? NJ? they just opened a Service Center in Plainview, NY. Please elaborate. Thanks.

Yup. I just discovered this is another thread. Unreal. NY sucks in so many ways and this is just one more. Here we have what is just about the most energy efficient car on the road and because of politics the car doesn't qualify. This from a state that considers itself green friendly and encouraging. BS.

I will continue the fight, but it's looking bleak. I hope Lucid does their part as did Tesla to work around this nonsense.
I have had this battle for some time with the state and emailed the Governor--no one cares. They tied rebates and HOV usage to only dealer sold cars. a big win for the lobbyists. In NY it makes more sense to allow a $200k hybrid that gets 17 miles electric to use the HOV bit not a Lucid or Rivian.

Same reason we can't get the $2k state tax credit. Effin' NYS bureaucracy at its finest
Wait, what? does that mean Lucid isn’t allowed to sell cars in New York state? how did they manage to have showrooms (studios)? where do they deliver their cars? NJ? they just opened a Service Center in Plainview, NY. Please elaborate. Thanks.
The transaction cannot take place in NYS and I'm not sure Lucid can register the car for you in NYS. The auto dealers lobby is blocking them because they are direct to consumers. Tesla got some kind of grandfather permission. To buy my car, I had to send them my money before they would put the car on a truck and deliver it. The transaction takes place in AZ and the car showed up with AZ temp tags on it.

Same reason we can't get the $2k state tax credit. Effin' NYS bureaucracy at its finest

The transaction cannot take place in NYS and I'm not sure Lucid can register the car for you in NYS. The auto dealers lobby is blocking them because they are direct to consumers. Tesla got some kind of grandfather permission. To buy my car, I had to send them my money before they would put the car on a truck and deliver it. The transaction takes place in AZ and the car showed up with AZ temp tags on it.
Your car gets delivered to you with AZ temp plates but Lucid does take care of registering your car in NY, they collect and pay NY sales tax and registration costs and your plates and sticker come in the mail. It takes a few weeks to get the NY plates.

Your car gets delivered to you with AZ temp plates but Lucid does take care of registering your car in NY, they collect and pay NY sales tax and registration costs and your plates and sticker come in the mail. It takes a few weeks to get the NY plates.
Thank you for clarifying. I guess I wasn't aware of that so I did it all myself. Hated the registration process mostly because I had to pay the sales tax when I registered 😳

Thank you for clarifying. I guess I wasn't aware of that so I did it all myself. Hated the registration process mostly because I had to pay the sales tax when I registered 😳
It was the same process as when I purchased a used 911 from a dealer in San Diego.

This just in! I was finally successful in getting a clean pass for my NY registered Lucid! I’ve probably tried 6-8 times to no avail, fully aware the car is not on their ‘approved’ list, but always explaining the Lucid is the most efficient EV out there, and as such should be approved. Of course in the whacky state of NY that fell on deaf ears.

At any rate I think persistence paid off. Who knows, maybe someone made a mistake in Albany and mistakenly sent them out. If so, the more you submit the request the more likely a mistake like this can happen.

The ironic thing is that this, although obviously no fault of Lucid, was my biggest frustration with the car.

This just in! I was finally successful in getting a clean pass for my NY registered Lucid! I’ve probably tried 6-8 times to no avail, fully aware the car is not on their ‘approved’ list, but always explaining the Lucid is the most efficient EV out there, and as such should be approved. Of course in the whacky state of NY that fell on deaf ears.

At any rate I think persistence paid off. Who knows, maybe someone made a mistake in Albany and mistakenly sent them out. If so, the more you submit the request the more likely a mistake like this can happen.

The ironic thing is that this, although obviously no fault of Lucid, was my biggest frustration with the car
I guess I will have to try again- did you answer purchased from dealer or private sale?

Last edited:
Just giving this thread an update, I submitted my clean pass sticker request via the website and got approved 2 days later. the sticker has been sent out and will arrive in 10 days.

Just giving this thread an update, I submitted my clean pass sticker request via the website and got approved 2 days later. the sticker has been sent out and will arrive in 10 days.
Thanks for the update.
I submitted the form and got the email response.
Will see if it is approved.

Anyone have any luck getting the NY Green Discount for their ez-pass? I tried calling them but since Lucid is not listed as an approved EV by NYSERDA, they would not approve my application.

That's probably a harder feat to accomplish. I only recently reapplied for the hov lane clean sticker pass because I saw multiple rivians (without ny dealerships) with stickers on their bumpers.

Back