Blown Tire

EthanTrull

Cars
Lucid Air Dream Edition
Not sure if this is the right forum ...

I was driving on the expressway yesterday, three lanes (I was in the middle) changing lanes and I ran over a piece of debris. It was so small that I hardly felt it. I now know that whatever I ran over, it tore a hole in the sidewall and took a bite out of the rim. The tire went flat instantly. But the effect on the car was so subtle, that I started looking for a confirming indication and saw the low tire warning come on. I took my time pulling over to the shoulder and other than a very slight vibration and a little bit of noise, you would not have known there was any problem. I'm impressed.

By the way, if this ever happens to you, learn from my mistake. While I was waiting for the tow truck, I installed the tow ring. And I read the manual about how to prepare the car for towing (another electric car newbie phobia). There is a mismatch between the manual and the actual menu in the car (there is no "tow truck mode" -- at least not yet. The truck showed up and the driver saw the tow hook. He said "I appreciate the effort, but I'm not going to winch that thing onto the truck. I'm just going to drive it up there." Was not his first rodeo.

Yikes, glad to hear the car maintained its composure at highway speeds though. I'm always terrified that a blowout would have me doing cartwheels.

Just curious, but do you have the 19" or 21" tires? Sounds like the 21s.

Another thing to keep in mind regarding the fact there is not a “tow mode”.

Once your Lucid is on the back of the truck, and in park, its doesn’t know its being towed, which means if for any reason a message is sent to the car to open its Frunk… it will. And that’s not good while the tow truck is cruising down the highway. As others have mentioned when you use your phone app to open the frunk, some times, there can be a “delay” from the time the message leaves the mobile app to when it arrives to the car (especially if the internet connection is spotty), and you don’t want that frunk to pop unintentional at some later point in time while its on the back of the tow truck.

So, if you going to get a tow:

1. Do not use the phone app to open anything as you can’t guarantee when the message will be received. (Ie you see a spinning wheel on the app, so you press it again, and again)
2. Only use the buttons in the car if you need to take anything out of the frunk prior to towing.
3. Let the tow truck driver know that a “long press“ on the key fob will open the frunk, therefore the driver is best to store the fob in a manner that will not result in any accidental press while actively towing.
4. Make a feature request to your favorite LUCID contact for them to include a “Tow mode” feature as soon as possible that will ideally prevent any opening of the trunk or frunk until a code is entered in the via the center console only.

Yikes, glad to hear the car maintained its composure at highway speeds though. I'm always terrified that a blowout would have me doing cartwheels.

Just curious, but do you have the 19" or 21" tires? Sounds like the 21s.
21s.

Yes the car is composed with a blown tire. I had two ( front and rear passenger)at the same time but pulled over instantly when I saw the low pressure light. Sadly with the state of some state roads mostly in the north it takes very little to get a blow out on the highway with the 21s. Interesting info on the tow mode, hopefully I won’t need it for a long time.

Another thing to keep in mind regarding the fact there is not a “tow mode”.

Once your Lucid is on the back of the truck, and in park, its doesn’t know its being towed, which means if for any reason a message is sent to the car to open its Frunk… it will. And that’s not good while the tow truck is cruising down the highway. As others have mentioned when you use your phone app to open the frunk, some times, there can be a “delay” from the time the message leaves the mobile app to when it arrives to the car (especially if the internet connection is spotty), and you don’t want that frunk to pop unintentional at some later point in time while its on the back of the tow truck.

So, if you going to get a tow:

1. Do not use the phone app to open anything as you can’t guarantee when the message will be received. (Ie you see a spinning wheel on the app, so you press it again, and again)
2. Only use the buttons in the car if you need to take anything out of the frunk prior to towing.
3. Let the tow truck driver know that a “long press“ on the key fob will open the frunk, therefore the driver is best to store the fob in a manner that will not result in any accidental press while actively towing.
4. Make a feature request to your favorite LUCID contact for them to include a “Tow mode” feature as soon as possible that will ideally prevent any opening of the trunk or frunk until a code is entered in the via the center console only.
good points .... add to request toLUCID to include the disabling of the shock and tilt alert as well. Even if this is turned off when the car is first put on a truck or carrier, it automatically reactivates when the car is unlicked or moved.

good points .... add to request toLUCID to include the disabling of the shock and tilt alert as well. Even if this is turned off when the car is first put on a truck or carrier, it automatically reactivates when the car is unlicked or moved.
You can change it to notification only on the pilot panel, that way the alarm is blaring the whole way there. Obviously doesn’t turn it off, but better than nothing.

I like that it reactivates. I’d like to know every time that the car is being tilted (moved) not matter when and where it is.

Back