Bizarre Hey Lucid Interaction

fisheral

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
2024 Lucid Air Touring
Referral Code
6K1F9IPW
My wife and her friend were discussing her friend's divorce in the car when Hey Lucid came on out of nowhere and asked them if they would like relationship advice and help dealing with divorce issues.

She was so shocked that she called me immediately. They tried to get HL to reproduce it so they could record it, but they weren't successful. It was a bizarre interaction.

My wife and her friend were discussing her friend's divorce in the car when Hey Lucid came on out of nowhere and asked them if they would like relationship advice and help dealing with divorce issues.

She was so shocked that she called me immediately. They tried to get HL to reproduce it so they could record it, but they weren't successful. It was a bizarre interaction.
WTF? This is definitely a continuation of what happened to @hmp10 . What is causing “Hey Lucid” to be activated in these cases?

Wow, Hey Lucid can be your marriage counselor! That is really strange. My guess is that Hey Lucid listens a lot. I've switched the voice activation on and off a few times already, because it's more way sensitive than it should be. Unlike Alexa, which pretty much only responded to things if you started with Alexa, Hey Lucid comes on without saying Hey Lucid. If you're singing along to a song, it comes up and wants to help. So it is probably just responding as any assistant would to what it thinks is a request. But it does seem kind of random as to when it activates.

Same thing happened to us last Saturday, except we were discussing Danish grammar. I posted about it here:

I wonder if @mcr16 can take this matter up with Lucid and get back to us with some information about why it's happening? I can think of nothing that would cause me to dump a brand faster than finding out it had anything to do with pumping ads into my car.

I just talked to Lucid Customer Care. This is a "feature" of "Hey, Lucid". It analyzes conversations in the car and interjects -- unbidden -- suggestions about goods and services into your conversation.

I was told I could defeat this by turning off "Hey, Lucid" voice activation, but if I want the voice activation that is now almost standard in luxury cars, I will have to put up with Lucid interrupting occupant conversation to "suggest" things I might want.

I am done with Lucid. Morons are now in control.

No Gravity.

Now considering what car to replace our Air.

I just talked to Lucid Customer Care. This is a "feature" of "Hey, Lucid". It analyzes conversations in the car and interjects -- unbidden -- suggestions about goods and services into your conversation.

I was told I could defeat this by turning off "Hey, Lucid" voice activation, but if I want the voice activation that is now almost standard in luxury cars, I will have to put up with Lucid interrupting occupant conversation to "suggest" things I might want.

No Gravity.

Holy CRAP. This is insanity and a horrible step forward for Lucid. We all denounced Ford for a patent that was similar to this, and now Lucid is doing this too? WTF? No way anybody wants their car listening to them (yes, you can turn it off, but you should still have the option for only the voice assistant with no ads)...

For a "luxury" brand, this is one of, if not THE worst decision they have ever taken in their history. Even Tesla's don't do this...

Question tho, does anyone think those Amazona and Alexa devices aren't listening to you?

Lucid has told us data in our cars is collected. 😒😒

Why don’t people just disengage hey Lucid and use the steering wheel button to initiate a request? I haven’t done that yet because I’ve only had one surprise intervention, but I always use the button to start a request. I just feel like an idiot saying, ‘hey Lucid’

Hilarious to me that you think Alexa didn't do the same thing. 🤣
Really? Does Alexa offer unprompted ads while listening to the conversations of users?

Also, IMO, they are really not comparable. Alexa is a DEDICATED voice assistant. That is its sole purpose. Why would a CAR need to give you unprompted ads?

Why don’t people just disengage hey Lucid and use the steering wheel button to initiate a request? I haven’t done that yet because I’ve only had one surprise intervention, but I always use the button to start a request. I just feel like an idiot saying, ‘hey Lucid’

Often a passenger in the car will want to change the music or a setting without having to ask the driver to activate the microphone. It happens with us all the time.

I am utterly perplexed that people think having your conversation with another person interrupted by an ad push is not objectionable.

This is devolving quickly. Back to the actual topic, I agree, that sounds insane. So insane, in fact, that I wonder if that particular CS rep didn't know what they were saying. I'd suggest waiting for further confirmation before gathering the pitchforks.

This is devolving quickly. Back to the actual topic, I agree, that sounds insane. So insane, in fact, that I wonder if that particular CS rep didn't know what they were saying. I'd suggest waiting for further confirmation before gathering the pitchforks.

What the CS rep described as the new "feature" was exactly what happened in our car twice on Saturday and what @fisheral described as happening to his wife.

Please keep the personal stuff out of this. I am alarmed by what customer care told @hmp10 and have asked Lucid to clarify. Please keep to the topic of the thread

No Gravity.

I'm shocked and can't believe it is happening in real life. I think it's very unlikely this "feature" will be deployed in Europe (it will be very likely against EU regulations). Still very unlikely I'll consider a car with this kind of homemade "assistant" that listens to all conversations all the time.

Often a passenger in the car will want to change the music or a setting without having to ask the driver to activate the microphone. It happens with us all the time.

I am utterly perplexed that people think having your conversation with another person interrupted by an ad push is not objectionable.
I’ve only had passengers ask to raise or lower the volume. I think it’s rude to ask the driver to change the music. If you’re a passenger you’re a guest IMO. Besides, most of the time a car’s microphone is aimed at the driver, so it’s unlikely a passenger’s request will even be understood.

I’ve only had passengers ask to raise or lower the volume. I think it’s rude to ask the driver to change the music. If you’re a passenger you’re a guest IMO. Besides, most of the time a car’s microphone is aimed at the driver, so it’s unlikely a passenger’s request will even be understood.
I do agree, but isn't the Lucid's microphone that weird flux capacitor thingy on the roof (which isn't pointed at the driver)? For families, voice commands (by passengers) are often used, and I could imagine many other scenarios where a passenger would need to talk.

What the CS rep described as the new "feature" was exactly what happened in our car twice on Saturday and what @fisheral described as happening to his wife.
Completely understood and I don't doubt your experiences. I just wonder if what you both saw was some freak of a bug, and the CS rep strung words together to sound like an explanation without understanding what they were implying. Not saying that is the case, it's just more believable to me than Lucid doing the implied craziness on purpose.

Really? Does Alexa offer unprompted ads while listening to the conversations of users?

Also, IMO, they are really not comparable. Alexa is a DEDICATED voice assistant. That is its sole purpose. Why would a CAR need to give you unprompted ads?
In a sense, yes. We’ve often had Alexa ask if it should order more xyz based on our ordering history. We find this annoying and turned it off.

Agreed.

Back