Best American made luxury EV

Kyle Conner just put out a rave video review of the decidedly non-American luxury EV, the BMW i7.

I still can’t get past the enormous schnoz, but the interior quietness and those automatic doors leave me feeling very envious.. And it’s only a little more expensive than our “hometown favourite”, the Lucid Air Dream Edition or GT.

I’d post a link to the youtube video, but I don’t know how.
Yeah, I still don’t like the look of it, but I can imagine it’s very nice to be a passenger in that car.

Yeah, I still don’t like the look of it, but I can imagine it’s very nice to be a passenger in that car.
I just realized, the Lucid is the Electric M5

Kyle Conner just put out a rave video review of the decidedly non-American luxury EV, the BMW i7.

I'm not saying the i7 is not a very nice car. But Conner does have a bias toward feature-loaded luxury barges. He also raved about the first MB EQS he tested, thinking it was easily the most luxurious EV to come to market at the time and pronouncing it his all-around pick for an EV. He totally glossed over its ponderous handling, which other reviewers (such at "Throttle House") have gone so far as to say makes the car unsafe in emergency maneuvers, and he seemed to have no issue with clumsy drivetrain packaging that left no frunk storage, or a backseat no more accommodating than that of the Lucid which sits on a 10" shorter wheelbase. But the acres of arcade strip lighting, the profusion of chrome and black plastic faux piano lacquer, and the fluffy headrest cushions just blew him away.

I just realized, the Lucid is the Electric M5

Yes, it is . . . except that it has a longer passenger cabin than a 7 Series BMW. To my mind, the only appeal of the i7 over the Lucid Air is the more commodious rear seating. However, if you're willing to take the range and power hit, the Air with the smaller battery pack takes you into the rear comfort territory of the big BWMs and MBs. And you'd still be left with a car that can blow the doors off most sedans at a stoplight and that does, indeed, handle like an M5.

BTW, that 'reversing assistant' Kyle mentions in the i7 is a pretty amazing feature that I also have on the i4. No matter how circuitous your route going forward is in a confined area, the car remembers your forward motion and steering inputs and then simply reverses them going backward. It can be very handy in some instances. It's also interesting that they went with exactly the same display that's found in the i4.

The "Throttle House" take on the i7:

1. Vehicle speed adaptive audio volume
  2. Softer frunk/trunk opening and closing
  3. Pilot panel show the color of your car instead of default Cosmic Grey
  4. NFC pairing with "smart ring" devices
  5. Optional always on rear camera view of the car while in drive mode

Might cut "vampire drain"? The EQS has a Start/Stop button and almost zero vampire drain. Not saying that's the only reason but it might help.
I don't see how. The car needs to "wake up" in order to set climate, play sound, listen to commands from the app, etc. The only thing an "ON/OFF" switch would do is—fire up the engine? There isn't one. The motors don't consume any power when they aren't spinning, as far as I know.

I think Lucid can definitely reduce vampire drain. But I don't think this would be a factor.

Not turning on the lights every time you open the mobile app would be a good start.

I don't see how. The car needs to "wake up" in order to set climate, play sound, listen to commands from the app, etc. The only thing an "ON/OFF" switch would do is—fire up the engine? There isn't one. The motors don't consume any power when they aren't spinning, as far as I know.

I think Lucid can definitely reduce vampire drain. But I don't think this would be a factor.

Not turning on the lights every time you open the mobile app would be a good start.
the lights don't turn on unless you unlock the car!

the lights don't turn on unless you unlock the car!
I thought someone reported here that the lights were coming on every time the car woke up from the app? Good to know, if that's not the case.

I thought someone reported here that the lights were coming on every time the car woke up from the app? Good to know, if that's not the case.
Only interior dash lights come on.

In the EQS, most systems stay off until the start button is pressed.

Back