Bad Accident (bye bye lucid)

MichaelW

Cars
LUCID Air Touring
Hit by a drunk driver the other day and miraculously survived thanks to the incredible airbags and strength of the car. The impact was so hard that parts of rear axle came off with the left rear wheel doing 60mph and I was able to keep control with no brakes (lost all brake pressure) and lots of luck.

IMG_5845.jpeg
IMG_5850.jpeg

😩
IMG_5835.jpeg

Holy smokes!! That’s quite the air bag deployment - guess it did its job? Hope ur ok

OMG, that's a hard hit. I'm glad you are relatively okay. The Lucid in a crash is incredibly solid, those airbags are amazing. What happened to the drunk driver and his car?

Sorry to hear of the accident! Yes, so glad you're ok.

I have a friend whose 911 hit an oil slick and was totaled. He had no injuries and said the car protected him. He therefore immediately replaced it with another 911. So, OP, what Lucid did you get to replace the car that was totaled?

Really sorry to hear it, but really glad you're ok. Can you keep us up to date how the insurance process works out? Should be an easy win for your insurance company to total your car, pay you the replacement value, then seek those funds from the other driver's insurance company. Curious how they will value the vehicle (ie, whether you simply get paid the listed value or whether they do a market assessment).

Any thoughts on next steps?

yikes. that looks horrible. i presume you were on a highway/interstate (60mph), so was the drunk driver coming from behind?

This is one of the worst accidents I've ever seen in a Lucid. I'm glad that you're okay.

Ouch - really sorry to hear, but good to know the car did its job and its well engineered for safety.

Did the regenerative braking still work after you lost brake pressure that you could tell? Curious how the car responded to airbag deployed (assume it would try to apply the brakes for you if there were any pressure left, but how about high voltage systems / motors?

Glad you are okay! Too bad lucid *still* doesn’t have integrated dash cams like Tesla. Would’ve loved to see that accident footage!

Hey Guys, thanks for the kind thoughts…

So, CHP said he was likely doing 100-110mph into the back of me while I was doing 55mph. Direct hit on that rear tire which dislodged it, and rear brake componants, from the car. Airbags deployed and felt like a gunshot to the side of the head and arm. I lost all braking due to the pressure loss from the severed rear brake. Literally zero brakes. Managed to control the car and play a bit of frogger to get it over to the shoulder of the 101. Lots of alarms and smoke in the car.

It was a horrific experience. But, I will say that it was the safety systems in the Lucid and probably the sheer weight of the car that saved me. Very thankful I wasn’t in a smaller or less advanced car.

Insurance is taking care of things and looks like it’s total loss as the battery and entire rear end is toast. I’m just waiting for the assessed value so they can pay off the lease and settle up.

Back