Available Apps

I hope you are right about CarPlay.

I had it on my Porsche and eventually decided that car companies could save a lot of money if they just dumped most of their own equipment and gave you CarPlay instead. Apple has it tuned in. One example: with most GPS navigation systems (including Lucid) you get instructions like this - "drive a mile and turn left." Now I don't know about you, but I am not that great at determining which intersect is "a mile" away. With CarPlay you get - "move to the left lane", and then, later, "drive to the second stop sign and turn left." And there are many more improvements. With CarPlay I never used the in car NAV, Music, EMAIL, Messages, calendaring, and voice recognition. CarPlay was superior in all of those items.

Here is another great example. Suppose I put a calendar event on my calendar, using my Macintosh, at the office. I set it for "Lunch Thursday with Mike at 12:00 at PF Changs". On Thursday morning I get into the car and CarPlay comes up and says on the screen - "are you driving to PF Changs at [address] to have lunch with Mike?" If I say "YES" it sets the NAV to PF Changs at [address].

Try to imagine that with the current state of affairs on Lucid. I joke with my friends that any day now Apple will have messages like "drive to the black BMW parked on the left and turn at the intersection after that."

The day CarPlay comes out (if it does) I will be celebrating.
Although Apple CarPlay is a nice add-on, I believe as a technology company more than just a car company, Lucid is doing the right thing having their own operating system in-house. There are other companies must rely on CarPlay to provide infotainment which I understand the need for those shortcut to compensate their lack of software. But a luxury car company like Lucid with no native infotainment out of box to just rely on providing CarPlay will simply be aesthetically tacky.

CarPlay is a good add-on, but I wouldn’t want my $150k luxury car look like same screen as Chevy Bolt. I rather have additional premium classy contents that can be added gradually and software design match to style of car than having my car matches to look of iPhone. I applaud Lucid making effort to accommodate market user demand but not losing their style of originality.

2611F70F-23EC-448D-B3CF-2EC77FB176EC.jpeg

Although Apple CarPlay is a nice add-on, I believe as a technology company more than just a car company, Lucid is doing the right thing having their own operating system in-house. There are other companies must rely on CarPlay to provide infotainment which I understand the need for those shortcut to compensate their lack of software. But a luxury car company like Lucid with no native infotainment out of box to just rely on providing CarPlay will simply be aesthetically tacky.

CarPlay is a good add-on, but I wouldn’t want my $150k luxury car look like same screen as Chevy Bolt. I rather have additional premium classy contents that can be added gradually and software design match to style of car than having my car matches to look of iPhone. I applaud Lucid making effort to accommodate market user demand but not losing their style of originality.
That makes sense, but at least for me, CarPlay gives you the availability to other apps, like Waze, Sirius (non on Lucid), Apple Music, etc that may not be on the cars OEM systems. Plus, it is consistent throughout cars, so when I go in my wife’s car it is a familiar interface. BMW are nice, as you can use CarPlay, while also still using your BMW FM/AM/Sirius favorites. I really think BMW current media interface is the best.

One of the big reasons I want a Lucid is for CarPlay (there are others too of course) and if they were not going to offer that, I would probably not be getting it. Not dissing the car in anyway, just prefer a car with CarPlay. CarPlay would definitely be so much better than my Tesla media interface. Most wonky interface I have seen in the refresh Model S. They have favorites/recents, but Sirius never saves under that favorites and most of the favorites/recents are songs I listed to 6 months ago. Should be permanent favorites and in my preferred order, so I can quickly scroll through them. They also have no media interface on the drivers console. Album art is puny, etc…. Just a very poor and I think dangerous interface, as you have to take your eyes off the road to change anything. Really detracts from the overall experience, if you are a media, FM/Sirius, etc… person.

Last edited:
Not sure who all the Android users are, but everyone I know owns iPhones, as do most people I see in the business world. I am definitely one of those people that won’t buy a car again if it does not have CarPlay. It is on not on my Tesla and it has the worst media interface on any car I have driven. Carplay would solve that.
I own both iPhone and Android, and being fairly technical, I unlock and root my android phone every time I get a new one.

Once you get full ad-free experience throughout the device (including YouTube), and have customized features that really impact performance and efficiency like a keyboard that you're just really used to.
(on PC I peak at 200 WPM, and on phone I'm probably around 60 WPM)

Hard to switch or use anything else. I personally despise the apple keyboard layout and features. Wish I can add my own shortcuts, layout, and really change things around but Apple limits you severely on many things and I just hate being locked and tied down to something. I like to actually "own" my device.
Also I hate animations and pretty transitions, android let's me disable that, and Apple does not.

I own both iPhone and Android, and being fairly technical, I unlock and root my android phone every time I get a new one.

Once you get full ad-free experience throughout the device (including YouTube), and have customized features that really impact performance and efficiency like a keyboard that you're just really used to.
(on PC I peak at 200 WPM, and on phone I'm probably around 60 WPM)

Hard to switch or use anything else. I personally despise the apple keyboard layout and features. Wish I can add my own shortcuts, layout, and really change things around but Apple limits you severely on many things and I just hate being locked and tied down to something. I like to actually "own" my device.
Also I hate animations and pretty transitions, android let's me disable that, and Apple does not.
Settings > Accessibility > Motion > Reduce Motion.

Doesn’t turn off all the pretty, but it will get you closer to what you want.

View attachment 6255
The next gen CarPlay will help with that issue of all cars looking the same. It’s so customizable, you will be able to make it your own. Then, even two Chevy Bolts won’t look alike, necessarily.

That makes sense, but at least for me, CarPlay gives you the availability to other apps, like Waze, Sirius (non on Lucid), Apple Music, etc that may not be on the cars OEM systems. Plus, it is consistent throughout cars, so when I go in my wife’s car it is a familiar interface. BMW are nice, as you can use CarPlay, while also still using your BMW FM/AM/Sirius favorites. I really think BMW current media interface is the best.

One of the big reasons I want a Lucid is for CarPlay (there are others too of course) and if they were not going to offer that, I would probably not be getting it. Not dissing the car in anyway, just prefer a car with CarPlay. CarPlay would definitely be so much better than my Tesla media interface. Most wonky interface I have seen in the refresh Model S. They have favorites/recents, but Sirius never saves under that favorites and most of the favorites/recents are songs I listed to 6 months ago. Should be permanent favorites and in my preferred order, so I can quickly scroll through them. They also have no media interface on the drivers console. Album art is puny, etc…. Just a very poor and I think dangerous interface, as you have to take your eyes off the road to change anything. Really detracts from the overall experience, if you are a media, FM/Sirius, etc… person.
Not disputing not having CarPlay. I agree CarPlay can make many Porsches, BMW, Audi…on and on owners life much easier.

Our family also have Polestar 2, it took them 28 months to deploy CarPlay. Frankly, I think P*2’s Android based UI is fine with Google Play store app in car to have ability to download huge selection of other apps; but their owners still demand CarPlay. I applaud Lucid’s fast effort at its 11th month announcing it’s coming.

And as for Tesla and Rivian’s infotainment, I think they are just fine. I don’t understand the bashing. The world doesn’t all need to be run on Apple and Facebook’s rules. We don’t need to be like communistic WeChat same look in every device.

The next gen CarPlay will help with that issue of all cars looking the same. It’s so customizable, you will be able to make it your own. Then, even two Chevy Bolts won’t look alike, necessarily.
That’s nice each owner can customize own interface theme. I just think the world needs variations and variety is spice of life.

That’s nice each owner can customize own interface theme. I just think the world needs variations and variety is spice of life.
Totally agree. And I love the look of Lucid’s interface, so I doubt I’ll be using CarPlay full time. It’s just nice to think I’ll have full access to my phone and apps when I need it. It’s been a drag on the Tesla, having to pick up my phone just to get to the podcast app.

Lucid would not have gone through all this trouble of rewriting their entire OS if they wanted Apple to control their user experience. They understand brand as well as Apple does.

So not to worry; there will always be a need to keep their native interface clean and up to date. CarPlay is an add on, not a replacement.

I don't think its one or neither; in a basic F150 or Chevy Silverado you can switch between interfaces with a button. There's no loss of core UI if you don't want a non native OS.

Back