Available Apps

LucidNC

Verified Owner
I haven't received my Air yet, but I'm preparing for the delivery this week. As such, I'm downloading apps (e.g. Electrify America). In reading some of the posts, however, I'm confused about the availability of Apple Carplay. Reading the posts, I thought that Carplay was expected int he next major SW release, but on the Lucid website, it states "Air is even compatible with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and countless other apps." (Connectivity)

So, I'm confused, what apps are available?

Also, I see a number of posts stating that in order to fully utilize the audio system, we should use Tidal. Is that true? Is Spotify or Apple Music not supported? Do I need to download Tidal?

I haven't received my Air yet, but I'm preparing for the delivery this week. As such, I'm downloading apps (e.g. Electrify America). In reading some of the posts, however, I'm confused about the availability of Apple Carplay. Reading the posts, I thought that Carplay was expected int he next major SW release, but on the Lucid website, it states "Air is even compatible with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and countless other apps." (Connectivity)

Also, I see a number of posts stating that in order to fully utilize the audio system, we should use Tidal. Is that true? Is Spotify or Apple Music not supported? Do I need to download Tidal?
Native apps in the car:

TuneIn
Spotify
Tidal
Iheartradio
Alexa

Tidal is the only current service which you can get Dolby Atmos playback and you will need the HiFi Plus subscription to access it. You should have received a 3 month free trial for this.

Apple CarPlay is not yet here, soon!

My experience is that for streaming Spotify is the most reliable. If you use Alexa to search for songs it defaults to Amazon music.

I recommend downloading the Alexa App, and going through your options in there. You’ll need to use your same Amazon account in the app and in the car. Lucid will walk you through that at delivery.

Once CarPlay is released (soon) you’ll be able to listen to Apple Music in Spatial Audio (which is compatible with the Atmos system in the car). And any of the CarPlay apps will work natively in the car, of course. Podcasts, Maps, Messages. As well as third-party apps like Waze, Castro, Overcast, etc.

Native apps in the car:

TuneIn
Spotify
Tidal
Iheartradio
Alexa

Tidal is the only current service which you can get Dolby Atmos playback and you will need the HiFi Plus subscription to access it. You should have received a 3 month free trial for this.

Apple CarPlay is not yet here, soon!

My experience is that for streaming Spotify is the most reliable. If you use Alexa to search for songs it defaults to Amazon music.
Amazon music unlimited also has Dolby atmos. Does it not play in the car? I know it won’t play in my home unless it’s Amazon speaker system

Once CarPlay is released (soon) you’ll be able to listen to Apple Music in Spatial Audio (which is compatible with the Atmos system in the car). And any of the CarPlay apps will work natively in the car, of course. Podcasts, Maps, Messages. As well as third-party apps like Waze, Castro, Overcast, etc.
Apple Music also has recordings in Dolby Atmos like Tidal in addition to Spatial Audio. Until we receive CarPlay you can listen to Apple Music Dolby Atmos recordings via Bluetooth but it won't be as good as direct streaming through CarPlay.

@hydbob listed the native apps.

The manual 'estends' itself on several fronts talking about features, etc that are still not supported or not there. Consider them as easter eggs. Or ... the manual is few klicks ahead, on the curve, from the car. :)

No Android Auto, no fruit-play, no highway assist, etc ... All are expected in sooooooooooooooonnn.

Cheers

Thanks everyone.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the SW release w/ Carplay comes in soon. I absolutely love it in the cars that I have with it (one of those things .. like Break Hold .. that I though were irrelevant, but have come to enjoy having .. go figure .. getting lazy in my old age 😆 ).

And I guess I'll have to resurrect my Amazon/Alexa app .. Had moved to Google for my home, but w/ my Lucid and (hopefully sometime soon) Rivian, sounds like Alexa is the one.

I hope you are right about CarPlay.

I had it on my Porsche and eventually decided that car companies could save a lot of money if they just dumped most of their own equipment and gave you CarPlay instead. Apple has it tuned in. One example: with most GPS navigation systems (including Lucid) you get instructions like this - "drive a mile and turn left." Now I don't know about you, but I am not that great at determining which intersect is "a mile" away. With CarPlay you get - "move to the left lane", and then, later, "drive to the second stop sign and turn left." And there are many more improvements. With CarPlay I never used the in car NAV, Music, EMAIL, Messages, calendaring, and voice recognition. CarPlay was superior in all of those items.

Here is another great example. Suppose I put a calendar event on my calendar, using my Macintosh, at the office. I set it for "Lunch Thursday with Mike at 12:00 at PF Changs". On Thursday morning I get into the car and CarPlay comes up and says on the screen - "are you driving to PF Changs at [address] to have lunch with Mike?" If I say "YES" it sets the NAV to PF Changs at [address].

Try to imagine that with the current state of affairs on Lucid. I joke with my friends that any day now Apple will have messages like "drive to the black BMW parked on the left and turn at the intersection after that."

The day CarPlay comes out (if it does) I will be celebrating.

I hope you are right about CarPlay.

I had it on my Porsche and eventually decided that car companies could save a lot of money if they just dumped most of their own equipment and gave you CarPlay instead. Apple has it tuned in. One example: with most GPS navigation systems (including Lucid) you get instructions like this - "drive a mile and turn left." Now I don't know about you, but I am not that great at determining which intersect is "a mile" away. With CarPlay you get - "move to the left lane", and then, later, "drive to the second stop sign and turn left." And there are many more improvements. With CarPlay I never used the in car NAV, Music, EMAIL, Messages, calendaring, and voice recognition. CarPlay was superior in all of those items.

Here is another great example. Suppose I put a calendar event on my calendar, using my Macintosh, at the office. I set it for "Lunch Thursday with Mike at 12:00 at PF Changs". On Thursday morning I get into the car and CarPlay comes up and says on the screen - "are you driving to PF Changs at [address] to have lunch with Mike?" If I say "YES" it sets the NAV to PF Changs at [address].

Try to imagine that with the current state of affairs on Lucid. I joke with my friends that any day now Apple will have messages like "drive to the black BMW parked on the left and turn at the intersection after that."

The day CarPlay comes out (if it does) I will be celebrating.
And for the remainder of the population (71%) who don't use Apple products...

And for the remainder of the population (71%) who don't use Apple products...
That’s always the rub. Car companies will never be able to assume you have an iPhone, or even an Android device. So they will always need to build a good native experience of their own.

But that integration between the phone and CarPlay is the most appealing aspect, for sure.

The fact my phone knows my next appointment and offers directions as soon as I sit down in my car is something no manufacturer can provide on their own. If I’m listening to a podcast, and when I get into the car it just transfers seamlessly. These things are hard to beat. And there will only be more of them over time.

Apple Music also has recordings in Dolby Atmos like Tidal in addition to Spatial Audio. Until we receive CarPlay you can listen to Apple Music Dolby Atmos recordings via Bluetooth but it won't be as good as direct streaming through CarPlay.
So do you think there will be a significant difference between streaming from Carplay vs Bluetooth? I'm eagerly waiting to subscribe to a free Apple Music subscription. Lol and I'm not an Apple user

So do you think there will be a significant difference between streaming from Carplay vs Bluetooth? I'm eagerly waiting to subscribe to a free Apple Music subscription. Lol and I'm not an Apple user
As I understand CarPlay will establish a wireless connection with your iPhone and thus enable a direct streaming capability vs bluetooth. So I believe the Apple Music Dolby Atmos recordings should be equal to the Tidal Dolby Atmos streaming.

As I understand CarPlay will establish a wireless connection with your iPhone and thus enable a direct streaming capability vs bluetooth. So I believe the Apple Music Dolby Atmos recordings should be equal to the Tidal Dolby Atmos streaming.
Yes. Sound over wireless CarPlay should be much better than streaming over Bluetooth.

That’s always the rub. Car companies will never be able to assume you have an iPhone, or even an Android device. So they will always need to build a good native experience of their own.

But that integration between the phone and CarPlay is the most appealing aspect, for sure.

The fact my phone knows my next appointment and offers directions as soon as I sit down in my car is something no manufacturer can provide on their own. If I’m listening to a podcast, and when I get into the car it just transfers seamlessly. These things are hard to beat. And there will only be more of them over time.
"Apple engineering manager Emily Schubert said 98% of new cars in the U.S. come with CarPlay installed. She delivered a shocking stat: 79% of U.S. buyers would only buy a car if it supported CarPlay."

"Apple engineering manager Emily Schubert said 98% of new cars in the U.S. come with CarPlay installed. She delivered a shocking stat: 79% of U.S. buyers would only buy a car if it supported CarPlay."

Eh...I don't believe it given the marketshare of users.
Screenshot_20221031_204452_Chrome.jpg

Eh...I don't believe it given the marketshare of users.
Not sure who all the Android users are, but everyone I know owns iPhones, as do most people I see in the business world. I am definitely one of those people that won’t buy a car again if it does not have CarPlay. It is on not on my Tesla and it has the worst media interface on any car I have driven. Carplay would solve that.

Back