Attach a (California) license plate to your car’s front bumper without drilling holes or using screws

Lucifer

New Member

Joined
Aug 2, 2025
Messages
12
Reaction score
16
Cars
Lucid Grand Touring
LicensePlateWrap.com makes a flexible license plate sticker that can be installed on your front bumper without requiring attachment of the plastic bracket that is supplied by Lucid. Unfortunately, this is only available for California license plates, but they are working on getting approved in other states. This is fully approved by the California DMV. For best results, they recommend that it be installed by someone who professionally installs whole car wraps. I installed mine myself and ended up with a small wrinkle that is not noticeable until pointed out. I used the Lucid supplied bracket as a guide as to where to place the sticker. While holding it in place with masking tape, I put masking tape around the outside of the bracket making an outline of where to place the License Plate Wrap sticker. Thus, if the license plate bracket needs to be installed later (say I move to another state) the bracket will cover up the California plate.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2887.webp
    IMG_2887.webp
    536 KB · Views: 424
I've never had front plate. never had an issue. about 20 years in California. San Diego County.
 
I've never had front plate. never had an issue. about 20 years in California. San Diego County.
Well, travel up to Santa Barbara and park in a Municipal parking structure/lot, or to San Francisco and park on the street for a few hours on a weekend day. You'll more than likely come back to a car with a ticket.
 
LicensePlateWrap.com makes a flexible license plate sticker that can be installed on your front bumper without requiring attachment of the plastic bracket that is supplied by Lucid. Unfortunately, this is only available for California license plates, but they are working on getting approved in other states. This is fully approved by the California DMV. […]
Awesome tip! I will go this route. I hate the thought of having to drill holes and have a big square license plate air dam ruining the carefully engineered aerodynamics of my Gravity. I wonder how much normal license plates affects efficiency - that front section has to be a critical aerodynamic point.

Should this post be pinned?
 
Well, travel up to Santa Barbara and park in a Municipal parking structure/lot, or to San Francisco and park on the street for a few hours on a weekend day. You'll more than likely come back to a car with a ticket.
I got ticketed while parked in Millbrae for lunch after picking up my car at the service center. Saw two Teslas got ticketed also. City of Millbrae must know there's a Lucid sales/service center in town, so it's shooting fish in a barrel for them! I now have the license plate wrap.
 
Years ago I got ticketed for no front plate in Downtown LA - while parked on a one-way street of all places - about 5 years into ownership for this particular vehicle. Yes, it was a simple fix-it ticket but as I get older I prefer to manage variables to reduce stress.
 
Got a fix-it ticket once on a Range Rover when snowboarding in Tahoe and was in Kings Beach/Brockaway. The trooper was bored I assume and looking for something to do.

the SC told me about the stickers when I picked my GGT up.
 
Be great if other states allowed a solution like this. *cough* Maryland.
 
Had a licenseplatewrap.com plate on my Model S for around 4 years. My thoughts are it’s way overpriced for a sticker license plate. Install using the wet method which means use a soapy water solution similar to installing PPF. You can then move it around and ensure you don’t have bubbles/wrinkles before using a squeegee to lock it down. Getting it off is a chore. It takes a lot of goo gone and elbow grease to remove.
 
My experience in California is that no one is bothering to stop and ticket cars just for not having a front license plate. But the moment they have some other reason to look at your car, then they add on the license plate fix-it ticket to whatever else is going on.
 
I also used LicensePlateWrap.com, which is currently the only company authorized by the DMV to provide these plates. Here are a few things I learned after installing one on my White Gravity DE:

I did not want the plate to cross any seams. The front area below the frunk and the black trim is almost exactly 6 inches. The plate is exactly 6 inches! To avoid having to go into the seams, I used my Dahle Rolling Trimmer and shaved off around 1/8 inch from the top and 1/8 inch from the bottom. I figured this was OK because the Lucid frame around the back plate leaves less than 5.5 inches showing.

Next, I want to get the plate in the exact center. (I did not get this 100% on the Gravity, but few will notice.) There is no mark on the front of the plate to show the exact center. I put a bit of blue tape with one edge down the center line of the plate. It is almost exactly at the lowest inner point of the letter "o" in California. I used that tape line to center the plate with the hood latch and the sensor centered below the bumper. It was close.

The bumper surface is a compound curve going in multiple directions. The good news is that the plate is flexible and stretchable. I used 2 bits of blue tape on the top of the plate and adjusted the top so that the bottom was directly above the black trim, equal on both sides. This took like 5 minutes of position/tape/untape/repeat to get it right. Then I put a longer piece of tape across the top.

Next, back to the stretchable plate!!! My instinct was to press hard (I don't want it coming off). That is Wrong. Press lightly going all the way from one side to the other. On finger width at a time. Then pull back the backing a bit more and repeat another finger width. The first pass is all about No bubbles or wrinkles. Once the plate is fully tacked down, do another pass with a harder touch.

Last thing, I did copy the letter from the company that attested that this plate is legal. It is in the glove box.

Good Luck!
Gravity Installed Plate.webp
Center Line close-up.webp
Gravity Lower Left.webp
 
Back
Top