AT&T Chosen as Connectivity Provider for Lucid Motors EVs

I feel a little dumb for asking, but what does this affect for us? Will this improve music dead spots?

I feel a little dumb for asking, but what does this affect for us? Will this improve music dead spots?
We can get charged for services such as map update or car monitoring via the app. I suppose one can decline to maintain these services.

We can get charged for services such as map update or car monitoring via the app. I suppose one can decline to maintain these services.
...and be left with having to get OTAs and other communication functions how? What else is the AT&T pipe used to support, and can an owner substitute? Seems like a Tesla move to me.

...and be left with having to get OTAs and other communication functions how? What else is the AT&T pipe used to support, and can an owner substitute? Seems like a Tesla move to me.
Let’s start with the fact that this is not a change. Our cars always had AT&T, and they come with “one year” of free data. That’s always been the expectation. And it’s no different from Tesla or most other car companies with cars that have cellular functions.

As far as we know, Lucid hasn’t started charging folks past that first year, but they will. Data costs money.

Second, no one will be forced to subscribe to data after the free period expires. Updates are available over WiFi, and you can always download offline maps. I’d recommend paying the $5 or $10 per month for it, just because it’s so much more convenient. And what’s another $100 per year on a $100k car in the scheme of things? But you do you.

All this announcement was is a public statement that Lucid plans to stick with AT&T as their provider. Which means they can probably lock in a decent rate for data. That’s it.

Please, let’s not turn this into another panic thread filled with FUD and speculation.

Let’s start with the fact that this is not a change. Our cars always had AT&T, and they come with “one year” of free data. That’s always been the expectation. And it’s no different from Tesla or most other car companies with cars that have cellular functions.

As far as we know, Lucid hasn’t started charging folks past that first year, but they will. Data costs money.

Second, no one will be forced to subscribe to data after the free period expires. Updates are available over WiFi, and you can always download offline maps. I’d recommend paying the $5 or $10 per month for it, just because it’s so much more convenient. And what’s another $100 per year on a $100k car in the scheme of things? But you do you.

All this announcement was is a public statement that Lucid plans to stick with AT&T as their provider. Which means they can probably lock in a decent rate for data. That’s it.

Please, let’s not turn this into another panic thread filled with FUD and speculation.
Understood and agree.

I agree that when I had the Tesla, I just paid the $10 per month when the year was up, but I will say that LUCID needs to make some improvements on their connectivity. It is definitely location-dependent, but I'm wondering if/how they are set up for roaming on other networks and could this be improved to mitigate dead spots?

This is the first I’m hearing of any type of data charge even after the first year…yes I agree with your point that $19/month on a $100k we can afford it; but everyone is asking for $10/month now! It’s insane IMO

This is the first I’m hearing of any type of data charge even after the first year…yes I agree with your point that $19/month on a $100k we can afford it; but everyone is asking for $10/month now! It’s insane IMO
For the same $10/m, you can get a nice 5G hotspot from Verizon.

For the same $10/m, you can get a nice 5G hotspot from Verizon.
I’m confused Bobby…I’m not complaining about att I actually prefer them, I’m talking about another $10/month that everyone in the world is charging

I’m confused Bobby…I’m not complaining about att I actually prefer them, I’m talking about another $10/month that everyone in the world is charging
Understood. Here, AT&T is kinda weak... and LTE at best, so that is a viable alternative.

Back