Arizona

Thanks much. Odd thing to me is that my temp paper plate doesn't have an expiration date, so maybe the MVD anticipated a long delay? I got permanent plates for the last ICE I registered about a year ago within a week, so must be some delay with AltFuel plates.
Now that we can't drive in the HOV lanes during rush hour anymore, there is no point to the alt fuel plates.
 
Now that we can't drive in the HOV lanes during rush hour anymore, there is no point to the alt fuel plates.
I just checked to see if we are paying extra for those plates. If it is, it's buried in the fee.

Really annoying how I'm paying $1k per year for registration, when people who bought EVs up to a year or so before me get to pay next to nothing as long as they own their vehicle. Seems there could have been a less egregious transition.
 
Now that we can't drive in the HOV lanes during rush hour anymore, there is no point to the alt fuel plates.
I still see EVs with one person zipping down the 51. I wonder how many people have no idea they’re no longer allowed if less than two or more passengers?
 
Queen Creek here and glad to join the thread. I own a 22 Dream Edition Performance #424 in infinite black which somehow doesn't get got in the summer. /S 😁 The paint actually gets to temps like a hot plate...
 
I still see EVs with one person zipping down the 51. I wonder how many people have no idea they’re no longer allowed if less than two or more passengers?
They probably figure that the "What I can't drive in the HOV lane anymore?!" excuse is worth at least one warning. I also am not sure there is any enforcement. In my 2 years here I've not seen a single person pulled over for what appeared to be an HOV lane violation.

With how dark tint is allowed in AZ, I suspect at least half the vehicles in the HOV lane are a single person.

And since I'm bitching about AZ HOV lanes, I'll also add that its insane to me they allow commercial vehicles (other than buses) and vehicles with trailers in the HOV lane. /end-rant
 
They probably figure that the "What I can't drive in the HOV lane anymore?!" excuse is worth at least one warning. I also am not sure there is any enforcement. In my 2 years here I've not seen a single person pulled over for what appeared to be an HOV lane violation.

With how dark tint is allowed in AZ, I suspect at least half the vehicles in the HOV lane are a single person.

And since I'm bitching about AZ HOV lanes, I'll also add that its insane to me they allow commercial vehicles (other than buses) and vehicles with trailers in the HOV lane. /end-rant
Its not exactly the same thing but my bigger pet peeve is drivers who get in the left lane, drive slowly, and pace the car to their right. I think about 50% of them are oblivious and the other 50% are deliberately doing it.
 
Its not exactly the same thing but my bigger pet peeve is drivers who get in the left lane, drive slowly, and pace the car to their right. I think about 50% of them are oblivious and the other 50% are deliberately doing it.
Yeah, that drives me nuts too. This time of year, when all the snowbirds have migrated back, I have to use Zen meditation when driving not to lose it over those people sitting in the left lane and pacing the car in the right.
 
Yeah, that drives me nuts too. This time of year, when all the snowbirds have migrated back, I have to use Zen meditation when driving not to lose it over those people sitting in the left lane and pacing the car in the right.
I’m always shaking my head in disbelief but then I realize it’s just normal here in AZ.
 
They probably figure that the "What I can't drive in the HOV lane anymore?!" excuse is worth at least one warning. I also am not sure there is any enforcement. In my 2 years here I've not seen a single person pulled over for what appeared to be an HOV lane violation.

With how dark tint is allowed in AZ, I suspect at least half the vehicles in the HOV lane are a single person.

And since I'm bitching about AZ HOV lanes, I'll also add that its insane to me they allow commercial vehicles (other than buses) and vehicles with trailers in the HOV lane. /end-rant
My wife and our pocketbook would respectfully disagree that there isn't any enforcement. She got ticketed turning left off Maryland onto the northbound 101. Apparently that on ramp is HOV only during certain times of the day. She immediately merged out of the lane to a non-HOV lane but was still ticketed by Glendale PD who were just sitting there waiting for violators. Meanwhile I drive on the 51 and dozens of single-driver cars fly by me everyday.

Screenshot 2025-12-13 at 9.44.58 AM.webp
 
My wife and our pocketbook would respectfully disagree that there isn't any enforcement. She got ticketed turning left off Maryland onto the northbound 101. Apparently that on ramp is HOV only during certain times of the day. She immediately merged out of the lane to a non-HOV lane but was still ticketed by Glendale PD who were just sitting there waiting for violators. Meanwhile I drive on the 51 and dozens of single-driver cars fly by me everyday.

View attachment 35098

I think her mistake was admitting prior knowledge of the change by getting out of the HOV lane when she saw the police. That greatly diminished her chance for a warning.

As for the left lane drivers... I hope you all are not talking about drivers in the carpool lane, and in heavy traffic, during enforcement hours. I find it frustrating that I can be there driving 10 MPH above the speed limit, zipping by the cars progressing slowly to my right, and people behind me are going nuts that I'm not going even faster. Non carpool hours... I agree completely. I call them 'lane-dwellers'... sometimes along with a descriptive adjective.
 
My wife and our pocketbook would respectfully disagree that there isn't any enforcement. She got ticketed turning left off Maryland onto the northbound 101. Apparently that on ramp is HOV only during certain times of the day. She immediately merged out of the lane to a non-HOV lane but was still ticketed by Glendale PD who were just sitting there waiting for violators. Meanwhile I drive on the 51 and dozens of single-driver cars fly by me everyday.

View attachment 35098
West side vs. east side. Glendale vs. Phoenix or Scottsdale. That sounds like the onramp from State Farm stadium and sitting there waiting for non residents to drive out is similar to a small town speed trap.
 
My wife and our pocketbook would respectfully disagree that there isn't any enforcement. She got ticketed turning left off Maryland onto the northbound 101. Apparently that on ramp is HOV only during certain times of the day. She immediately merged out of the lane to a non-HOV lane but was still ticketed by Glendale PD who were just sitting there waiting for violators. Meanwhile I drive on the 51 and dozens of single-driver cars fly by me everyday.

View attachment 35098
Ouch! While you have my sympathies for the financial hit, I still get the feeling (not scientific) that very little effort goes into policing HOV lanes in the Phoenix metro area.
 
Back
Top